Thread: Will I rub? Or u think I'll be ok w these new wheels

My Cars
    1999 528

Will I rub? Or u think I'll be ok w these new wheels

I ordered some wheels and once again finally liked some and aren't avail, they are on back order. So he talked me into some concave wheels and they come in the size I wanted 20x9 & 20x10.5. So should I be ok or do u think I'll rub? Sport suspension 540

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    offsets? tire size?

My Cars
    NOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    offsets? tire size?
    +1. whats the name/brand of wheels anyways. Wih 20 x 10.5 in the back you will most likely need to roll fenders

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per above, it all depends on the offsets and tyre sizes you need to run. I hope as the guy 'talked' you into a set of 20's that the design of them will 'flow' with the E39's shape!

Keep in mind, to pull off 20's well, you'll also need to go quite low, and that'll mean coilovers .

An example of how to do 20's on an E39 which I'm sure you've seen before;

You will likely need to do some arch modification as mentioned above as well, tyre sizing will be a big factor too especially if you do go as low as the example above. I took the liberty in contacting the owner to ask for specs and here they are

20x9 +18(15mm spacer so equals +3 Offset)
    20x10.5 +13

Tires:
    Falken 452s
    225/35/20
    255/30/20

I think the coilovers were BC Racing or might have been Ground Control.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    I love it when people post less than half the information required to answer their question.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    1999 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin517 View Post
    I love it when people post less than half the information required to answer their question.
    +1

I didn't buy tires yet and the rims are stance revolution et15 and et20
    Last edited by Ryanwillbuyit; 08-01-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 ///M5

anywayyyyy, Your going to rub Dude... im telling you now.
    2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower/ 419lbs torque
    Supersprint Headers
    CNS Lightweight dm flywheel/ Spec clutch
    ST coilovers
    Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets
    Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads
    Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers
    Michelin Pilot supersports

My Cars
    NOne
    Are you sure its revolution and not evolution? I tried to look them up and the computer kept correcting me to evolution not revolution. Here are what the evolutions look like in 20 x9 and 20 x 10:

I know its on a E9X but you get it..

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanwillbuyit

+1

I didn't buy tires yet and the rims are stance revolution et15 and et20
    You would be surprised what you can fit if you are willing to stretch tires, can't say i recommend it though.

The offsets aren't too bad...

My Cars
    1999 528
    Quote Originally Posted by youngproexec View Post
    Are you sure its revolution and not evolution? I tried to look them up and the computer kept correcting me to evolution not revolution. Here are what the evolutions look like in 20 x9 and 20 x 10:

I know its on a E9X but you get it..
    Yes that's them. Evolution yes, Sorry Typo. Maybe I'll just go w 10" rear to be safe. Just wanted that extra width. But my fenders are rolled already too. Just don't know what tire size to do with 9" front and 10 or 10.5 rear

You would be surprised what you can fit if you are willing to stretch tires, can't say i recommend it though.

The offsets aren't too bad...
    I wanna try to stay away from stretching as much as possible. Just don't wanna rub. No one ever rides in back, just my one year old daughter will be now n then
    Last edited by Ryanwillbuyit; 08-01-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    NOne
    Running 20s is doable . My friend is running 20s all around ( 20x9 front and 20x10s rear) with 275 25 30s rears and 245 30 20s fronts. He is lowered and had to have his fenders rolled out as much as possible but it looks amazing. As you may know the purpose of stretching (non cosmetically speaking) is to gain more tolerance between the tire and fender. With a wide and tall wheel especially for the e39 body you may need to stretch to gain clearance but the size may not satisfy the recommended tire size for width. Depending on how extreme you decide to stretch the rim will be exposed more and succumb to curb rash or even worse hitting the fender if you go over a deep hole or high bump. This mainly pertains to the rears but if you decide to go with a wide enough tire on the front Ive heard you could rub on the strut perches or in that general area- keep this in mind if you decide to go lower in the front and for the rear you will need to roll the fenders out depending on the drop.

Just be aware of a couple things as dennis cooper said that to "pull it off' (cosmetically speaking) you will need to be lowered using the adjustability of coilovers but thats cosmetic:

#1. Low profile tires dont last nearly as long as others. My friend ran through two sets of brand new quality tires within a year and a half. These tires often rip since they're so thin

#2. The thinness of the low-pros dont absorb bumps and tend to put alot of stress on the front suspension components. Running 20s on his car has accelerated the wear on his front suspension completely. Just FYI make sure you "beef up" the suspension or complete the maintenance that it needs to prevent issues.

In addition he experiences a decrease of about 4 mpgs (hes anal about this since he has a 540 lol) , traction control tripping on some bumps and 3 bent wheels.

Sorry for the un-needed lecture but is just an FYI. You should hook up with the tire shop installing the tires/wheels and ask whats a safe stretch that doesnt have too many consequences and looks good as well. I will try to get a hold of my friend to get his offsets and better info to help you

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    It won't rub with the right tires, run something like 245/30/20 and 265/30/20, may need some minor roll at the back, but double check to see if your fenders are pre-rolled from factory.

My Cars
    1999 528
    It won't rub with the right tires, run something like 245/30/20 and 265/30/20, may need some minor roll at the back, but double check to see if your fenders are pre-rolled from factory.
    Should I do 10 or 10.5. My fenders are rolled. Not sure who did it.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    make sure they're rolled enough, and that they didn't roll them with the fender liners still attached.

I run an 18x10 w/ 285/35s on all 4 and don't rub.

My Cars
    1999 528
    I just nba make sure I get the right tires now. Slight stretch. Nothing major

So what tires are we suggesting for 20x9 & 20x10.5

Is this what I should go w?
    Last edited by Ryanwillbuyit; 08-04-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 528
    I'm thinking maybe a 25 series tire. I know I'll feel everything though

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Youngproexec - I'll politely disagree with you on low profile tyres wearing out quickly. I run Federal SS595's and my last set lasted a good 30,000 miles and I had perhaps 4/5mm of tread remaining. Those particular tyres sold with another set of wheels I had at the time. I've just put a new full set back on as I've been very very impressed with the life of the tyres. I agree on having suspension components changed and checked often. I've just replaced my thrust arms for new ones and likely to do this job every 18 months or so regardless.

Ryan - related to the above, the sidewall flex on very low profile tyres 35 series and lower, is very little, so road imperfections, bumps and crashes are transmitted through the tyre and to the wheel itself. If you go for a cast method manufactured wheel say perhaps from one of the recognised budget wheel brands, the risk of bends and cracks is quite high as structurally they aren't 'very' strong. This ties in with youngproexec's friend who I'll assume for now had this level of wheels on. With 20's on the E39, you need to keep quality of products chosen as high as you can go to minimize the risks like this from happening. With the wheels you've mentioned, Stance wheels are one of the better budget to intermediate brand wheels. For me, when I do go for 20's I'm looking at high end BMW Tuner brand wheels or forged for increased strength. Keep this in mind as you are running an increased risk here and having to replace wheels relatively quickly due to bends etc isn't fun at all !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    I agree with Dennis... Unless you have perfect roads and pay constant attention to the road surface... Anything bigger than 18" diameter on an e39 should be forged or else they will have multiple bends in no time.

My Cars
    1999 528
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

Youngproexec - I'll politely disagree with you on low profile tyres wearing out quickly. I run Federal SS595's and my last set lasted a good 30,000 miles and I had perhaps 4/5mm of tread remaining. Those particular tyres sold with another set of wheels I had at the time. I've just put a new full set back on as I've been very very impressed with the life of the tyres. I agree on having suspension components changed and checked often. I've just replaced my thrust arms for new ones and likely to do this job every 18 months or so regardless.

Ryan - related to the above, the sidewall flex on very low profile tyres 35 series and lower, is very little, so road imperfections, bumps and crashes are transmitted through the tyre and to the wheel itself. If you go for a cast method manufactured wheel say perhaps from one of the recognised budget wheel brands, the risk of bends and cracks is quite high as structurally they aren't 'very' strong. This ties in with youngproexec's friend who I'll assume for now had this level of wheels on. With 20's on the E39, you need to keep quality of products chosen as high as you can go to minimize the risks like this from happening. With the wheels you've mentioned, Stance wheels are one of the better budget to intermediate brand wheels. For me, when I do go for 20's I'm looking at high end BMW Tuner brand wheels or forged for increased strength. Keep this in mind as you are running an increased risk here and having to replace wheels relatively quickly due to bends etc isn't fun at all !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks Dennis. I'll deff keep this in mind. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into those tires u speak highly of

I agree with Dennis... Unless you have perfect roads and pay constant attention to the road surface... Anything bigger than 18" diameter on an e39 should be forged or else they will have multiple bends in no time.
    Thanks, rds aren't perfect but are always being replaced every year it seams and I pay high attention to every thing while driving, while its hard to avoid everything

Im thinking maybe 275/25/20. Too wide? I just don't want mine looking like the gti with pink wheels I saw when I googled 265/25/20 with 10.5 rims. I do not like that look. But deff don't wanna rub. I know coilovers will help so. Can set height
    Last edited by Ryanwillbuyit; 08-05-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 528
    Any other opinions before I wing in order some?

Wing it and order some*
    Last edited by Ryanwillbuyit; 08-06-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 528
    I'm 99.9% sure I'm gonna order 245/30/20 for my 20x9 front and 275/25/20 for my 20x10.5 rears. I hope this looks great, not too stretched and no rub at all ever. Any input appreciated before I order about 2:00pm est

My Cars
    2017 F250
    You might be able to get away with 295s on the rear. I had 295/30/19s on the rear w/o rolled fenders and I would rub on hard corners or bumps when I had anyone else in the car.

Oh and the ride is gonna suck, enjoy.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    You can always replace your coil overs with some steel square pipe. Guarantee it won't rub then.

My Cars
    1999 528
    I'm leaning towards 245/30/20 & 285/25/20