Thread: What would have caused this?

My Cars
    1989 325ic

What would have caused this?

Car: 1997 528i. Overheated once, briefly, for prior owner. He replaced the thermostat, rad and coolant hose. Didn't overheat again. He drove it home one day and parked it. The next morning, he went to start the car and, as it was cranking..."Boom!". The valve cover literally exploded into pieces. The funny thing is that nothing in the valve train is loose/out of place. Cams/springs/chains...all in tact and installed. What could have caused this? A buildup of pressure? I'm about to dig into the motor to determine if it can be repaired in a cost-effective manner or if I should simply purchase/install a new engine. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance...Steve.

My Cars
    E39 M62_Fluffy Scooter

Very strange. So you are saying the head/valve train is fine it is just the cover that went wacky? I would do a compression test at the least. Does the engine oil or coolant look funny?

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Never heard that one before. The two things I would consider possibilities would be either a rapid build-up of pressure in the crankcase (though I'm not sure what could possibly generate such explosive pressure that quickly, nor can I believe that it wouldn't blow apart the CCV long before the valve cover) or one of the coil packs exploding.

The valve cover is not exactly the first thing I would expect to explode. I would very carefully inspect the coil packs, wiring, CCV, and anything nearby that could have contributed to pressure building up, leaked fuel, or produced a spark.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    98 540i6
    leaky fuel injector + non-sealing piston rings, possibly causing fuel vapors to build up in the crank case. Upon ignition, kaboom?

I find it hard to believe that a metal cover just exploded, seems crazy.

My Cars
    E39 M62_Fluffy Scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    leaky fuel injector + non-sealing piston rings, possibly causing fuel vapors to build up in the crank case. Upon ignition, kaboom?

Good enough theory. Are the I6 covers metal? I thought they were plastic.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthand View Post
    Good enough theory. Are the I6 covers metal? I thought they were plastic.

possibly, i'm new to this stuff and i have a V8; so, I know they're metal.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post

It's an interesting thought, but you'd need enormous fuel dilution of the oil and a spark source inside the crankcase. The piston rings would have to be GONE for this to happen.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    98 540i6
    well it was overheated. if the head warped enough, there could have been a route other than piston rings.

I'm aware it's a long-shot answer, but exploding a valve cover is a pretty long-shot consequence of a problem(s)

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. Today, after removing bits and pieces of PLASTIC valve cover, I used the air compressor to make sure all was clean. Then, with the coils removed, I attempted to crank the engine. It turns over completely normally. I've ordered a used v.c...should be here Saturday. The dealer told me that it is fairly common for the rubber crankcase vent hose which goes from the v.c. to the crankcase ventilation valve to the dipstick to get clogged with "sludge". If this were to happen, crankcase pressure would have nowhere to go and "Boom!". So...I removed/inspected the top hose...it was scummy but not completely occluded...no idea about the rest of the ventilation system. My plan, at this point, is to test compression and then, once I've installed the new v.c., to attempt to start the engine (leaving the crankcase vent tube open to ensure ventilation). I'll cross my fingers at this point...

If the head warped, will it be worthwhile to remove it, have it checked/decked and install a new head gasket? There is a very reputable cylinder head specialty shop 10 minutes from my home. They charge only $85.00 to completely inspect/clean a cylinder head. Thoughts on this? Thx again...
    Last edited by csb; 11-20-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    95' bmw 525it
    A repair that makes me happy i have the 4.4......for once......

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Post pics of the carnage. Lot of skeptics here including me.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    No pics...it's all cleaned up and the v.c. has been tossed. Just looks like a 2.8 I-6 with the v.c. removed. Skeptics be damned...I'm telling the God's honest.

My Cars
    E39 M62_Fluffy Scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post

If the head warped, will it be worthwhile to remove it, have it checked/decked and install a new head gasket? There is a very reputable cylinder head specialty shop 10 minutes from my home. They charge only $85.00 to completely inspect/clean a cylinder head. Thoughts on this? Thx again...
    I've always been of the opinion that if you go to the trouble of pulling off a head to simply rebuild it. If you're like me, you don't like to "redo" things.

My Cars
    528i
    WHOA some mobester put a hit on you....

and the lackie didnt do the job right?

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    Update: Did compression test today...only 1 of 6 cylinders read normally...all others b/w 0 and 90 lbs. Bought a new engine today...replacing the tranny at the same time even though there's nothing wrong w/ the existing tranny. Why? Lower/matching miles on both (from the same car).

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I hope you'll pull the old engine apart and try to diagnose what happened. I'd really love to know what failed and how.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    Defective CCV valve not opening to recirculate blowby gas into the intake manifold to be burned.

My Cars
    E39 M62_Fluffy Scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by cal45fan View Post
    Defective CCV valve not opening to recirculate blowby gas into the intake manifold to be burned.
    Would that really blow out the rings that bad though? I would suspect the valves are "OK" and that the compression loss is primarily from the rings.

CSB,

Did you happen to squirt a bit of oil (as equal amount as possible) into the chamber and retest compression? Also, I hope you tested on a relatively warm engine.