Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does the red light keep blinking when I fully put the top down?

My Cars
    bmw z4

why does the red light keep blinking when I fully put the top down?

Here is the problem:

I fully put my top down until the red light goes away. I drive off for a couple of minutes and when I do a regular turn or go over a slight bump, the red lights starts to blink. So, I have to make a complete stop, and press the button again to get rid of the blinking light. I drive off for a couple of minutes ,and it starts blinking again..I cant seem to stop it from happening. Any answers please?

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i & 2002 325Ci 'vert
    Are you 100% sure the top is all the way down and locked? Mine retracts all the way but the last 1/2" or less and doesn't quite lock into place so I give it a slap to lock it down, otherwise the red light blinks as you describe. I have not found a fix for this yet but suspect a good lubrication and cleaning of the mechanisms may fix the problem.
    In the driveway:
    (German invasion)
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i M6 daily driver
    2002 BMW 325Ci Convertible A5
    (American pride)
    2005 Pontiac GTO M6 Supercharged 487RWHP/490RWTQ *SOLD*
    2005 GMC Canyon CrewCab

My Cars
    '06 M Roadster
    Check to see to make sure you haven't placed anything in your trunk where the tire repair kit is suppose to be strapped in, such that it's interfering with the retraction. That could be one possible cause.

My Cars
    Z4
    This happens to me too. Is it such a common thing? Let's investigate together to see how to fix it.

My Cars
    Many
    That sounds like the "Top Down" micro switch or "Top Locked" micro switch is not adjusted properly.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
    That sounds like the "Top Down" micro switch or "Top Locked" micro switch is not adjusted properly.
    Where are the switches?

Thank you

My Cars
    Many
    Actually, I was mistaken with my nomenclature.

There are five switches not including the center console switch.

Switch Located in the Trunk
    1. Convertible Top Compartment Floor Switch.

These next switches are Hall Effect switches.

Switches Located on the Top Hard Mounts. (must remove top from car to access)
    2. Convertible Top Lowered Switch
    3. Convertible Top Closed Switch

Switches Located in Locking Mechanism at the front of the top.
    4. Scuttle Release Switch (Convertible Top Locking)
    5. Scuttle Lock Switch (Convertible Top Locking)

Here is how it all works:

Fully automatic convertible top

The fully automatic convertible top is a folding top fitted as an option.
    The soft top is opened and closed hydraulically. When closed, the soft top is locked on the window frame via catches. The catches are driven by means of an electric drive. After opening, the soft top is stored in the convertible top compartment and locked in place by the catches.

Brief description of components

Convertible top module IV (CVM IV)

The convertible top module (CVM IV) controls and monitors the hydraulic and electrical drive and locking components of the folding top. The convertible top module also monitors the convertible top switch, the hydraulic pump and the locking drive, and saves any faults that occur in the fault memory.
    The soft-top module is connected to the K bus.

General module

The power windows are controlled during soft-top operation by the general module of the central body electronics (ZKE). The general module therefore receives the information 'Open/close top' or 'Top complete closed' or 'Complete open' across the K bus.

Instrument cluster

The instrument cluster provides the convertible top module IV (CVM IV) via the K bus with the information 'Outside temperature' and ”Vehicle moving” or ”Vehicle stationary” (speed greater than/less than 4 km/h).
    Exchange of information is across the K bus.

Hydraulic unit

The hydraulic unit creates the hydraulic pressure required for the top movement. The hydraulic unit consists of an oil reservoir that has an integrated pressure pump. All the hydraulic valves are integrated in the hydraulic unit. The hydraulic system is a closed, self-venting system. Topping up hydraulic fluid is not required.
    The pressure pump is driven by a reversible DC motor. To change the direction of movement of the folding top, the direction of rotation of the pump motor is switched.
    The pump only operates in the case of top movements. To prevent damage, the hydraulic unit is monitored by an integrated temperature sensor. At a temperature of 105°C, the pump in the hydraulic system is switched off. The soft top can then only be moved by hand.

Hydraulic rotary drives

The soft top is moved in two directions by dual-action hydraulic rotary drives for opening and closing. Here, the racks of the hydraulic cylinder engage in pinions that convert the longitudinal movement of the hydraulic cylinder into a rotary motion. The pinions transfer the rotary motion across the main bearings to the convertible top frame. The hydraulic rotary drives are fitted on the left and right in the main pillar on the main bearings of the convertible top frame.

Soft-top locking mechanism

For the soft-top locking mechanism, there are two catches which are opened or closed by an electric motor.
    When closed, the soft top is locked on the window frame (cowl panel) via catches.
    After placing in the convertible top compartment, the soft top is also locked in place by the catches.
    In the event of an electrical function failing, emergency release is possible by hand.

Convertible top switch and condition indicator

The convertible top switches are fitted in the switching center in the center console. There are separate switches for opening and closing the soft top.
    For the display of the active and/or receding state, red and yellow LEDs are fitted beside the convertible top switch:
    The red LED lights up while the top is moving. When one of the final positions is reached (top stored in the convertible top compartment or locked on the cowl panel), it is switched off. The LED flashes when the convertible top switch is released while the top is not in one of the two final positions.
    The yellow LED lights up when the convertible top switch or the convenience function sends a request for opening while the convertible top compartment floor is not down.

Hall sensors

In order to detect the convertible top position and the two final positions of the locking mechanism, non-contact switches (Hall sensors) are used. The Hall sensors for identification of the convertible top position are fitted on the right-hand main convertible top bearing. The Hall sensors for the cowl panel lock are located on the cowl panel lock in the front convertible top bow strut. The information from the Hall sensors is processed in the convertible top module IV (CVM IV).

Convertible top compartment floor switch

The convertible top compartment switch is a ground-switching contact that generates the signal ”Floor down” when the convertible top compartment floor is located in the lowest position. As long as this information is not present, the soft top cannot be unlocked and opened.
    The convertible top compartment floor switch is fitted on the folding mechanism of the convertible top compartment floor.

Hardtop locating points

Contact plates are fitted in each of the two hardtop locating points at the main convertible top bearings. Each contact plate has a contact for power supply of the rear window heating and a contact for hardtop detection.

Main functions

It is possible to open / close the convertible top by means of:

• Convertible top switch (open and close)
    • Convenience closing and convenience opening
      via door lock or remote control (coding-data-dependent!)

The following conditions must be met at one time for automatic movement of the top:

1. General module can lower the window without faults
    2. Vehicle standstill (v < 4 km/h)
    3. No hardtop fitted (only applies to closing)
    4. Ignition key position as of terminal R (not in the case of convenience function)
    5. No short circuit and no breaks in wiring present
    6. Outside temperature has not fallen below limit value

Opening the top with the convertible top switch

Pressing the convertible top switch for ”Open top” opens the soft top according to the following sequence:

1. Windows are lowered (power window activated for 1.5 seconds if one window is detected as closed).
    2. Lock hooks are opened. The convertible top is unlocked at the front cowl panel
    3. The convertible top is moved backwards
    4. Convertible top is stored in the convertible top compartment
    5. The locking hooks are closed
    6. The top is locked in the center in the convertible top compartment
    7. Red LED goes out
    8. Windows are raised (2 seconds after locking)

Closing the top with the convertible top switch

Pressing the convertible top switch for ”Close top” closes the soft top according to the following sequence:

1. Windows are lowered (power window activated for 1.5 seconds if one window is detected as closed).
    2. The locking hooks are opened and the catch in the center of the top is released.
    3. The convertible top is lifted out of convertible top compartment
    4. The convertible top is moved forwards
    5. Locking hooks are inserted in the cowl panel
    6. The locking hooks are closed and the top is locked at the cowl panel
    7. Red LED goes out

NOTE: If the convertible top switch is released during closing and opening, the movement and locking of the folding top is interrupted immediately. As there is no blocking of the drive, only the self-regulation system of the mechanical system and the hydraulic rotary drive have an effect. Pressing the convertible top switch again restarts the stopped movement.

Convenience opening/closing

The driver's door lock opens or closes the top in the following sequence:

1. Insert the ignition key in the driver's door lock
    2. Turn the ignition key to the right and hold in this position
      The general module (GM) immediately sends the telegram ”Convenience operation” to the convertible top module IV (CVM IV)
    3. The remainder of the sequence is the same as for ”Opening the top with the convertible top switch”, Steps 1 to 7.
    4. Turn the ignition key to the left and remove
      NOTE: Closing with the driver's door lock (convenience closing) is no longer possible as of terminal R.

Rear-window defroster (demister)

As long as the soft top is locked and terminal R is on, the convertible top module IV (CVM IV) provides a signal for control of the rear window heating.
    Power supply for the rear window heating of the soft top comes from the convertible top wiring harness. If the hardtop is fitted, the power supply for the rear window heating is by means of contact plates on the rear hardtop locating points.

Hardtop detection

If a hardtop is fitted, a contact that closes to ground generates the signal ”V_SPERR” which blocks the ”Close” function.

Storage locking

To release: On completion of an opening procedure, the soft top is stored in the convertible top compartment and locked in place. As interlock, the central locking lug of the cowl panel lock engages in the retainer on the convertible top compartment.
    To close: At the start of a closing operation, the cowl panel lock is operated first. Here, the center locking lug of the cowl panel lock is moved in. This disengages the mechanical interlock.

Cowl panel lock

Locking and unlocking the folding top on the cowl panel (upper window frame) takes place electromechanically with the cowl panel lock in the front convertible top bow strut. To this end, there are locking hooks on the left and right of the cowl panel lock.
    For closing the folding top, the locking hooks are closed and locked after entering the cowl panel.
    The rotary motion of the spindles of the cowl panel lock required for opening and closing is generated by a direct current motor with angle gear. The direct current motor with angle gear is located in the center of the front convertible top bow strut. The rotary motion is transferred via flexible shafts.

Emergency closing / emergency opening

In the event of failure of electrical and/or hydraulic functions, the top can be opened and closed using emergency unlocking/locking systems.
    Emergency closing:

1. In the luggage compartment on the left-hand side below the convertible top compartment floor, pull out the plastic ring attached to a Bowden cable as far as it will go.
    2. With a 90-degree turn, lock the plastic handle in this position.
      In the hydraulic unit, a short circuit is enabled, making it possible to open and close the folding top by hand.
    3. Pull the handle of the Bowden cable in the rear panel of the luggage compartment.
      The interlock in the convertible top compartment is released.
    4. Move the top forwards by hand until it reaches the cowl panel.
    5. Take the Allen key from the on-board toolkit.
    6. Remove the plastic panel from the front roof brace.
    7. Insert the Allen key in the uncovered internal hexagon.
    8. Lock and unlock the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.
    9. Take out and replace the Allen key.

Emergency opening:

1. Perform steps 1 and 2 as well as 5 to 7 from 'Emergency closing'.
    2. Unlock and open the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.
    3. Take out and replace the Allen key.
    4. Move the top backwards until it reaches the convertible top compartment
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shipkiller; 05-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2004 Z4

How to reset after manual closing

I had a problem with top closing so I followed procedure below for emergency closing. However, the red light continues to flash. When I crank the allen wrench to lock the top down is there a click or something that tells me when I've gone far enough? I don't won't to overtighten anything and break something.

Since I pulled the red Bowden cable, if I want to test and see if the top will go down and up again, how do I reset the cable?

Thanks!!
    Dan Fraser
    2004 Z4 2.5i
    Hoover, AL

"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans." - John Lennon

My Cars
    Z43.0,Porsche 996C4,Jagu
    when you pull the red handle in the trunk you open an hydraulic by-pass valve in the pump, so you release the pressure via that by-pass and the soft top will go down very slowly.
    once its completely down.. you can open or close it manually with almost no efforts.
    Don't pull on the red handle like a crazy.. there is no need its a litle contact only.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 2.5i

2005 Z4 softtop motor installation issues

Hey Guys,
    Thanks a ton for all the helpful information you have provided in this post. It really helped to replace my softtop motor on my Z4. Not completely though...hence the post.

Followed all the steps mentioned in these links:
    http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=11274
    http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=32&t=10189

Plugged everything as I took them out..Once everything is back in place, this is what I am seeing:
    * Top is close at this point (released red hydraulic knob, used allen key to close it manually)
    * Click the open button..It gives me yellow light, but nothing happens
    * Click the close button...red light blinks..nothing happens
    * Manually use allen key to open it up a bit, push the close button & it opens the top, sets it on the trunk properly. BUT red light keeps blinking & I hear motor running forever. For some reason, the system doesn't detect top is completely open. I checked the compartment floor switch (as mentioned in other forums) & latch is working properly.

issue #1: I might have swapped the wires in the new motor, since the switches are working in reverse
    issue #2: I am fine if they work reverse...but the way I have now, open doesn't do anything & close doesn't open completely.

Any help or advice is appretiated.

My Cars
    Many
    Since the top is up (closed) and locked, you press the open button and nothing happens, just a blinking yellow light, it appears that the 'Compartment Floor' switch in the trunk is not being made.

If you manually put the top in the mid position and press the open button and nothing happens, and if you press the closed button and the top closes, this almost proves the trunk switch is not made.

With the top in the mid position, if the two motor wires were reversed, then the opposite of what I just said would happen.

The top will close if the trunk switch is faulty but the top will NOT unlock and open if it is faulty.

Most likely the arm of the switch has fallen off....

Another way to test this is to pull the switch from the rear bulkhead and manually activate (press) the switch while someone press's the open button...

If you really think you reversed the wiring to the motor, then there are two ways to fix this.

The proper way is to pull the top and reversed the wiring.

A not so proper way is to pull the connector off the softtop module, (you did this to pull the top) and reverse the pins in the connector. I don't like this way, it will bite you or the next owner in the ass later on, but it will fix the issue.

Just make sure the rear switch is not faulty before you head down the wire reversal path.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 2.5i
    Thanks a ton for the fast response & ofcourse the detailed instructions on how to swap the motor...:-).
    If I see the "L" or "U" shaped silver clip coming out in the compartment switch: des that indicate the switch is working fine? I can see the plastic grove of the compartment floor base hooked on to the silver thing.

I haven't tried pushing it manually & pressing the open button. Will do that over the weekend. My car is in my friends garage...:-). I will also try to get a pic of the switch in the position & post it here.

>>>If you manually put the top in the mid position and press the open button and nothing happens, and if you press the closed button and the top closes, this almost proves the trunk switch is not made.<<<

here if I press the close button, the top actually opens and settles properly behind the seats in the trunk...but the red light keeps blinking & motor still keeps running, even after the operation is complete.

>>>A not so proper way is to pull the connector off the softtop module, (you did this to pull the top) and reverse the pins in the connector.<<<
    Will stay away from reversing the pins then.

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by kauphy View Post
    if I press the close button, the top actually opens and settles properly behind the seats in the trunk...but the red light keeps blinking & motor still keeps running, even after the operation is complete.
    OK,

Now armed with this new info, it does seem like you reversed the wiring to the motor. The reason the red light blinks when the top opens (with the closed button pushed) it that the softtop module is expecting the top to be closed and is looking for the appropriate hall effect sensors to be activated, and they are not..

Forget the rear switch. When you pressed the closed button and the top opened, it proved the switch works..
    It would have been easier if the switch was bad.............. oh well..

My Cars
    2005 Z4 2.5i
    >>It would have been easier if the switch was bad.............. oh well..
    yep...all the way to step one again...:-((.
    Thanks for the help Shipkiller. Will update the status next weekend.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 roadster
    Hey shipkiller,

Done a lot of reading and printed pretty much all your DIY Getting to do this hopefully this week. This is the first time my top wouldn't go down. Everytime I press the button to bring it down it only gives me a sort of amber light and top wouldnt do anything. is the hydraulic motor the only thing needs to be replaced? and how did you seal it and make sure it wouldnt get plugged again?

My Cars
    Many
    See the DIY. I have a couple of pictures of the RTV that I used to seal the motor housing.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    The writeup on manual convertable top opening and closing is great. I showed this to my wife and we went through it together step by step hands on. It's great to be able to teach her how to deal with possible problems. Thanks!

My Cars
    05 Z4 3.0, 08 CLS 550
    Quote Originally Posted by standaya View Post
    Hey shipkiller,

Done a lot of reading and printed pretty much all your DIY Getting to do this hopefully this week. This is the first time my top wouldn't go down. Everytime I press the button to bring it down it only gives me a sort of amber light and top wouldnt do anything.?
    I know that this is an old thread, but this happened to me. Amber light= one or both of the rotatable knobs in the trunk are in the "up" position. Rotate the knob(s) until the bar is all the way down. Then try the top operation again.. should be a red light this time and movement in the top. The OM shows you where they are...

My Cars
    2012 528i; 2006 Z4 3.0
    Thank you for the terrific information/documentation on the soft top removal and motor replacement. I have everything back together, but the motor is not activating to lower the top. When manually lowered it nicely falls and locks into place and will raise automatically without any issues. When pushing the button to lower the top, the yellow light comes on, but the motor does not activate. Any recommendations?

My Cars
    Many
    If the top raises but does not lower, check the rear 'Compartment Floor' switch. Either the arm has popped off or the switch is bad.
    The 'Compartment Floor' is raised and lowered by those two knobs Buster mentioned.

My Cars
    2012 528i; 2006 Z4 3.0
    You have been an amazing help. I found your post about the convertible top floor switch and that was definitely the problem. I removed the switch and put a jumber on the connector. Top goes up and down beautifully! Thanks again for all of your help.

My Cars
    bmw z4
    If the top raises but does not lower, check the rear 'Compartment Floor' switch. Either the arm has popped off or the switch is bad.
    The 'Compartment Floor' is raised and lowered by those two knobs Buster mentioned.
    Hi ShipKiller, thanks for the step by step instruction for the motor.
    I replaced the motor and got a new switch. The top unlatches and i can hear the motor working but the top is not moving. not opening nor closing.
    Where else can I check or what can I do to fix the top?
    Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    Z4, 3.0l

Can't open BMWZ4 top manually

I have tried to open the convertible top manually but there is too much pressure to close it. The top latch motor does work and disconnect the top from the latches but it continues to flash red when I try automatically. I tested the rear compartment switch and it is working fine. I have pulled the red handle in the back and tried to push top down manually but there is too much pressure to manually put the top down..
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Actually, I was mistaken with my nomenclature.

There are five switches not including the center console switch.

Switch Located in the Trunk
    1. Convertible Top Compartment Floor Switch.

These next switches are Hall Effect switches.

Switches Located on the Top Hard Mounts. (must remove top from car to access)
    2. Convertible Top Lowered Switch
    3. Convertible Top Closed Switch

Switches Located in Locking Mechanism at the front of the top.
    4. Scuttle Release Switch (Convertible Top Locking)
    5. Scuttle Lock Switch (Convertible Top Locking)

Here is how it all works:

Fully automatic convertible top

The fully automatic convertible top is a folding top fitted as an option.
    The soft top is opened and closed hydraulically. When closed, the soft top is locked on the window frame via catches. The catches are driven by means of an electric drive. After opening, the soft top is stored in the convertible top compartment and locked in place by the catches.

Brief description of components

Convertible top module IV (CVM IV)

The convertible top module (CVM IV) controls and monitors the hydraulic and electrical drive and locking components of the folding top. The convertible top module also monitors the convertible top switch, the hydraulic pump and the locking drive, and saves any faults that occur in the fault memory.
    The soft-top module is connected to the K bus.

General module

The power windows are controlled during soft-top operation by the general module of the central body electronics (ZKE). The general module therefore receives the information 'Open/close top' or 'Top complete closed' or 'Complete open' across the K bus.

Instrument cluster

The instrument cluster provides the convertible top module IV (CVM IV) via the K bus with the information 'Outside temperature' and ”Vehicle moving” or ”Vehicle stationary” (speed greater than/less than 4 km/h).
    Exchange of information is across the K bus.

Hydraulic unit

The hydraulic unit creates the hydraulic pressure required for the top movement. The hydraulic unit consists of an oil reservoir that has an integrated pressure pump. All the hydraulic valves are integrated in the hydraulic unit. The hydraulic system is a closed, self-venting system. Topping up hydraulic fluid is not required.
    The pressure pump is driven by a reversible DC motor. To change the direction of movement of the folding top, the direction of rotation of the pump motor is switched.
    The pump only operates in the case of top movements. To prevent damage, the hydraulic unit is monitored by an integrated temperature sensor. At a temperature of 105°C, the pump in the hydraulic system is switched off. The soft top can then only be moved by hand.

Hydraulic rotary drives

The soft top is moved in two directions by dual-action hydraulic rotary drives for opening and closing. Here, the racks of the hydraulic cylinder engage in pinions that convert the longitudinal movement of the hydraulic cylinder into a rotary motion. The pinions transfer the rotary motion across the main bearings to the convertible top frame. The hydraulic rotary drives are fitted on the left and right in the main pillar on the main bearings of the convertible top frame.

Soft-top locking mechanism

For the soft-top locking mechanism, there are two catches which are opened or closed by an electric motor.
    When closed, the soft top is locked on the window frame (cowl panel) via catches.
    After placing in the convertible top compartment, the soft top is also locked in place by the catches.
    In the event of an electrical function failing, emergency release is possible by hand.

Convertible top switch and condition indicator

The convertible top switches are fitted in the switching center in the center console. There are separate switches for opening and closing the soft top.
    For the display of the active and/or receding state, red and yellow LEDs are fitted beside the convertible top switch:
    The red LED lights up while the top is moving. When one of the final positions is reached (top stored in the convertible top compartment or locked on the cowl panel), it is switched off. The LED flashes when the convertible top switch is released while the top is not in one of the two final positions.
    The yellow LED lights up when the convertible top switch or the convenience function sends a request for opening while the convertible top compartment floor is not down.

Hall sensors

In order to detect the convertible top position and the two final positions of the locking mechanism, non-contact switches (Hall sensors) are used. The Hall sensors for identification of the convertible top position are fitted on the right-hand main convertible top bearing. The Hall sensors for the cowl panel lock are located on the cowl panel lock in the front convertible top bow strut. The information from the Hall sensors is processed in the convertible top module IV (CVM IV).

Convertible top compartment floor switch

The convertible top compartment switch is a ground-switching contact that generates the signal ”Floor down” when the convertible top compartment floor is located in the lowest position. As long as this information is not present, the soft top cannot be unlocked and opened.
    The convertible top compartment floor switch is fitted on the folding mechanism of the convertible top compartment floor.

Hardtop locating points

Contact plates are fitted in each of the two hardtop locating points at the main convertible top bearings. Each contact plate has a contact for power supply of the rear window heating and a contact for hardtop detection.

Main functions

It is possible to open / close the convertible top by means of:

• Convertible top switch (open and close)
    • Convenience closing and convenience opening
      via door lock or remote control (coding-data-dependent!)

The following conditions must be met at one time for automatic movement of the top:

1. General module can lower the window without faults
    2. Vehicle standstill (v < 4 km/h)
    3. No hardtop fitted (only applies to closing)
    4. Ignition key position as of terminal R (not in the case of convenience function)
    5. No short circuit and no breaks in wiring present
    6. Outside temperature has not fallen below limit value

Opening the top with the convertible top switch

Pressing the convertible top switch for ”Open top” opens the soft top according to the following sequence:

2. Lock hooks are opened. The convertible top is unlocked at the front cowl panel
    3. The convertible top is moved backwards
    4. Convertible top is stored in the convertible top compartment
    5. The locking hooks are closed
    6. The top is locked in the center in the convertible top compartment
    7. Red LED goes out

Closing the top with the convertible top switch

Pressing the convertible top switch for ”Close top” closes the soft top according to the following sequence:

2. The locking hooks are opened and the catch in the center of the top is released.
    3. The convertible top is lifted out of convertible top compartment
    4. The convertible top is moved forwards
    5. Locking hooks are inserted in the cowl panel
    6. The locking hooks are closed and the top is locked at the cowl panel
    7. Red LED goes out

NOTE: If the convertible top switch is released during closing and opening, the movement and locking of the folding top is interrupted immediately. As there is no blocking of the drive, only the self-regulation system of the mechanical system and the hydraulic rotary drive have an effect. Pressing the convertible top switch again restarts the stopped movement.

Convenience opening/closing

The driver's door lock opens or closes the top in the following sequence:

1. Insert the ignition key in the driver's door lock
    2. Turn the ignition key to the right and hold in this position
      The general module (GM) immediately sends the telegram ”Convenience operation” to the convertible top module IV (CVM IV)
    3. The remainder of the sequence is the same as for ”Opening the top with the convertible top switch”, Steps 1 to 7.
    4. Turn the ignition key to the left and remove
      NOTE: Closing with the driver's door lock (convenience closing) is no longer possible as of terminal R.

Rear-window defroster (demister)

As long as the soft top is locked and terminal R is on, the convertible top module IV (CVM IV) provides a signal for control of the rear window heating.
    Power supply for the rear window heating of the soft top comes from the convertible top wiring harness. If the hardtop is fitted, the power supply for the rear window heating is by means of contact plates on the rear hardtop locating points.

Hardtop detection

If a hardtop is fitted, a contact that closes to ground generates the signal ”V_SPERR” which blocks the ”Close” function.

Storage locking

To release: On completion of an opening procedure, the soft top is stored in the convertible top compartment and locked in place. As interlock, the central locking lug of the cowl panel lock engages in the retainer on the convertible top compartment.
    To close: At the start of a closing operation, the cowl panel lock is operated first. Here, the center locking lug of the cowl panel lock is moved in. This disengages the mechanical interlock.

Cowl panel lock

Locking and unlocking the folding top on the cowl panel (upper window frame) takes place electromechanically with the cowl panel lock in the front convertible top bow strut. To this end, there are locking hooks on the left and right of the cowl panel lock.
    For closing the folding top, the locking hooks are closed and locked after entering the cowl panel.
    The rotary motion of the spindles of the cowl panel lock required for opening and closing is generated by a direct current motor with angle gear. The direct current motor with angle gear is located in the center of the front convertible top bow strut. The rotary motion is transferred via flexible shafts.

Emergency closing / emergency opening

In the event of failure of electrical and/or hydraulic functions, the top can be opened and closed using emergency unlocking/locking systems.
    Emergency closing:

1. In the luggage compartment on the left-hand side below the convertible top compartment floor, pull out the plastic ring attached to a Bowden cable as far as it will go.
    2. With a 90-degree turn, lock the plastic handle in this position.
      In the hydraulic unit, a short circuit is enabled, making it possible to open and close the folding top by hand.
    3. Pull the handle of the Bowden cable in the rear panel of the luggage compartment.
      The interlock in the convertible top compartment is released.
    4. Move the top forwards by hand until it reaches the cowl panel.
    5. Take the Allen key from the on-board toolkit.
    6. Remove the plastic panel from the front roof brace.
    7. Insert the Allen key in the uncovered internal hexagon.
    8. Lock and unlock the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.
    9. Take out and replace the Allen key.

Emergency opening:

1. Perform steps 1 and 2 as well as 5 to 7 from 'Emergency closing'.
    2. Unlock and open the cowl panel lock by turning the Allen key.
    3. Take out and replace the Allen key.
    4. Move the top backwards until it reaches the convertible top compartment

My Cars
    BMW 3 sieres e92 2.0
    Hi my 3 series e92 hardtop roof has opened fully and Lock d in the the boot like normal but the red light keeps blinking which won't allow my windows to come up. What can I do before taking to dealer . please help

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought .. I'm hopeing its something minor

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by dhruv288 View Post
    Hi my 3 series e92 hardtop roof has opened fully and Lock d in the the boot like normal but the red light keeps blinking which won't allow my windows to come up. What can I do before taking to dealer . please help

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought .. I'm hopeing its something minor
    You will not find much help here in this E85/E86 section, unless someone here, with a E9X, has had your issue.
    Try posting in the E9X section. Much more information their for your car.

Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast