Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best fuel door hinge replacement instructions....

My Cars
    93 BMW 535i Alpina mods

The best fuel door hinge replacement instructions....

...are in Japanese!

http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20080417/index.shtml

I did lots of research before doing this job and found at least six threads giving tips on how to replace the hinge. Even though the text is in Japanese, I gotta say that poster took some good pictures to guide me through every step of the procedure. Door installed (slowly and carefully) in about 20 minutes...no touch-up paint required!
    1993 BMW E34 535i/M30/Alpina mods...more to come.

My Cars
    I drive a loaner
    Japanese DIYs are great.

Especially with Google Translate

Check out his page on brake upgrade... http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20080730/index.shtml

My Cars
    1/2
    WOW!!! Detail much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    The big bang happened in an M30 block

My Cars
    93 BMW 535i Alpina mods
    Quote Originally Posted by PCP JR View Post
    Japanese DIYs are great.

Especially with Google Translate

Check out his page on brake upgrade... http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/20080730/index.shtml

Wow..they even use my Alpina wheels in that exercise! Now I'll have to get the Alpina brake upgrade as well. Try the Google Translate on a few of those sentences...it's amazing how some things translate across to English.
    1993 BMW E34 535i/M30/Alpina mods...more to come.

My Cars
    I drive a loaner
    I've been looking at his other pages too.

He's a bit fond of LCDs. Cool in the cluster & OBC, but he did a DIY set of tails that's a bit too JDMish.

Trying to figure out if he did a HID bulb bypass on the LKM. Looks like he did.

But yeah, those Alpina brakes are FTW.

My Cars
    e34 for tha keeps
    i got the whole new hinge assembly on the fuel door... the then when i tried to pop it back on the car- i got fustrated... and now my brand new fuel door hinge has a broken braket. so its only hanging on by one.... but. screw it. it does the job

My Cars
    1994 525i
    I declare the FORUM the greatest in the whole wide world....

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    my one is also from Japan, but in English for you guys
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/body.html#Fuel_Flap

by the way, this site is not one guy
    http://dd.jpn.org/BMW_HP/index.shtml

we all add our stuff for E34, E32, E39

and my site is for those who do not understand Japanese
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Darn, that looks so easy that I think I'm going to have re-fix my fixed fuel door hinge so that it actually pulls itself closed.

Thanks!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    do it! Much cheaper than buying a new fuel flap and paint it in the car colour. Some people have lost the flap while driving. Since I changed my one and posted that on my site, there is a hype going on in Japan among the E34/E32 fans and everyone checks + notices that his hinge is broken.
    I bought 7 hinges for my buddies, all gone by now, all were broken.
    I should have invested before in the shares of the company which produces the hinges ;-)

My Cars
    94 530i
    good to know, luckily mines only half broken. nothing a lil epoxy cant fix for now. the whole does feel rather chinsy though. ill have to look around for a metal hinge kit or make my own. the hinges on my wifes 93 300e are great. very solid feel.

ill have to look at it more to get some ideas. seeing that this is a problem everywhere i promise that if i find an simple alternative ill post it.

great find btw and x2 on the google translate thing

and shogun, i just noticed the airline style trays, very classy...
    Last edited by muckRunner; 06-17-2009 at 08:50 AM.

My Cars
    93 & 95 525iA
    If you're interested, I did this project on my 93 a while back and posted pictures and instructions in ENGLISH. Here is the link:

http://almostgonesblog.blogspot.com/...on-93-bmw.html

My Cars
    1994 540iA-->6??
    Great write ups! Thanks, guys. I just did mine inside of 15 minutes.

What a difference!
    2003 996.2 C4S
    2004 986.2 S
    2011 958 Turbo
    E39 540i6 to new home.
    E34 540iA also to new home. Currently Bimmerless and sad.

My Cars
    E34 525i/5 . E39 540i
    Temporary fix, I used thin mechanic's wire. Problem solved.
    E36 problem in the E34 forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I'm here because the E34 guys are knowledgeable and mature. Besides I own an E34 and it is my favorite.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    temporary fix is fine, but better do it the proper way.
    Some months ago we had a BMW meeting here in Japan and I checked my freinds cars, out of about 10 E32 and E34 >50% had cracks in the hinge.
    That part should in any case be replaced after >10 years of frequent use, cheaper than a new metal flap in the end.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    here's the translated to english version of the OP link.

http://translate.google.com/translat...%2Findex.shtml

I have to order my new hinge still, my car and my donor parts car both came with no doors. I had to buy another used door just to match the color, so for those that think 1 bracket is enough and it still holds, i suggest repairing it sooner rather than later buying another door and hinge.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as I found yesterday on another E34 a broken hinge, just as a reminder, change the hinge before you have lost the flap which is by far more expensive.

My Cars
    N/A
    This is a great guide...gonna order a new hinge now before I lose my door.

My Cars
    70 Bronco 95 525i
    so, lets say someone replaced his door hinge but forgot to put the spring back on before he snapped it to the door... how would that person get the hinge on or would it be better to just buy a new hinge and start over...?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Anyone ever lose the Rubber Door Stopper fitted into that little Eyelet ? It vanished suddenly one day which I find weird because when I went to a junk yard to grab one I ripped two apart before getting a third one out.

They're soft rubber which seem resistant to drying and cracking. It'd seem more likley soemone was trying to open my fuel filler door to siphon gas and yes there are a bunch of scratches on the body right at the point along the door where you reach to open it. I only noticed it because upon returning home from work I hit the Remore Door Lock button and heard an unusual noise come from the fuel fill door area. The actuator pin was missing its catch and the door was sitting too far into the opening. I have to hold it out slightly when locking for the pin to meet its target.

Oddly this is responsible for my being in the position I was when I busted soemthing in my drivetrain as when I went to the junk yard while actually on time sensative work for a customer I saw the car had good center vents and radio/climate control surround which I needed and the vents were a problem extracting. Took so long it left me with too little time to be where I was supposed to and in an effort to make it around jammed traffic I ended up destroying possibly an axel shaft in a "murder shift" where I shifted into second after jumping out of my stalled lane into an exit lane where traffic was screaming down my neck. Floored it in first to get into the lane then shifted into second, floored it and snapped something losing all power to the wheels..
    Last edited by jehu; 04-18-2011 at 12:28 AM.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hooligan View Post
    so, lets say someone replaced his door hinge but forgot to put the spring back on before he snapped it to the door... how would that person get the hinge on or would it be better to just buy a new hinge and start over...?
    +1, when they installed mine on after paint, they forgot to put the spring on, now it opens too easily.

My Cars
    Coming soon? 2001 e46
    DOH ! I'm a day late for reading this post! Dang ! Might have saved me a hinge. Well, paint, buy, and wait for delivery.

My Cars
    '94 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    +1, when they installed mine on after paint, they forgot to put the spring on, now it opens too easily.
    +2
    Last edited by Bloody Arro; 04-21-2011 at 02:41 AM.

My Cars
    www.garaget.org/skillz
    The fuel door hinge is a common piece (like milk in a store) at the dealer over here hehe. People buy them all the time, luckily they're cheap to replace as said. And always in storage.

My Cars
    '94 525i
    Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast