Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower Motor chirping/squeaking?

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro

Blower Motor chirping/squeaking?

For quite a while now I've been noticing when my heater or A/C is on, there is a chirping or squeaking noise when the fan is set to a slow speed. Sound goes away more and more the higher I turn the fan speed.

I noticed today that I can hear this sound from the outside of the car. So now I've got this idea in my head that its the blower motor that is making this crazy annoying noise.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5, '67 Mercury Cougar
    Bump, mine is doing the same!

Seems to be the norm on older cars though. Only way I know of to fix it is to replace it. That's mainly just me being lazy though. Every time I've taken an electric motor apart, it's resulted in disaster!

My Cars
    97 M3 Saloon
    I've had the same. It may sound unlikely, but I've found that how good the electrical connection is to the motor terminal makes the difference between chirping / louder blower sound or not. I can wiggle on the wire that connects to the blower motor to affect the speed and whether the chirping noise is there or not.

It seems that the blower motor is good on my car. Maybe the connection or the terminal on the motor is not real good.

My Cars
    m3
    mine did that and then shortly after stopped working.

My Cars
    Where is the blower motor located?

Knowing BWM, deep behind the dash right? Most cars it's out in the engine bay. I can't seem to find it though, that or I should get a flash light!

My Cars
    '98 M3, '92 325is
    its in the center of the windshield under the plastic and an access cover. Try lubricating the bearings where the shaft sticks out the side and attaches to the squirrel cages
    1998 M3:
    Fact Spoiler, DS2, Z3 shifter, ZKW's, Euro Tails, Euro Rotors, Red Line Fluids, M50, Dr Vanos, Rouge RSMs, Everything else stock and mint!

1992 325is:
    M-Contours, Vanos Conversion, JC Chip, Bilsteins, M3 Front Bushings, ATE Power Discs, Super Blue Brake Fluid, Z3 Shifter, Strut Tower Brace, M3 Sways & Springs, Supersprint Exhaust, and a hitch to tow my quad.

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    Mines been doing it for almost a year now. I'll just replace it

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by E36RACER View Post
    its in the center of the windshield under the plastic and an access cover. Try lubricating the bearings where the shaft sticks out the side and attaches to the squirrel cages
    God, I just looked in the engine bay and found where I think it is. What a PITA! I think I'll just deal with the squeaking. Unless someone chimes in saying it's not that hard to get back there. Looks like a lot of "fun" to me!

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    I don't think it will be that bad of a job. But I don't think swapping a differential is that bad of a job either

Anybody have experience with replacing the motor? Pelican Parts has two different motors listed. One has removable fan cages for $300 and the other one with no removable cages is $156.

Don't mind spending the money but only if its necessary.
    Last edited by Volf; 11-14-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volfinator View Post
    I don't think it will be that bad of a job. But I don't think swapping a differential is that bad of a job either

Anybody have experience with replacing the motor? Pelican Parts has two different motors listed. One has removable fan cages for $300 and the other one with no removable cages is $156.

I don't think swapping the diff would be a big deal either.

I don't know though, where I'm looking where I think the motor is looks like a major pain. Engine looks in the way pretty bad too. Unless I'm making something simple harder than it looks.

It just looks like a lot of crap to remove.

My Cars
    2010 535i 6MT
    I think there are a number of write ups on it and it's a PITA.
    Mine is doing the same thing.

Anyone ever just fog the whole blower motor intake with WD40?
    Obviously you would need to cover the interior vents with some sort of cloth to catch the blowing lube...
    \\\Whitepower
    Previous: '95 M3, '99 M3 Cab

My Cars
    Cayman S
    Mine is doing the same thing. Where are the DIYs?

My Cars
    99 m3 coupe
    yeah I thought I saw a diy or three on this but couldn't find them. The blower motor needs to be removed, cleaned and lubed with 'dry lube'. Somebody let me know who sells dry lube, looked for it last weekend and could not find it.

My Cars
    are bad investments
    If you are going to remove, just replace. These aren't designed to last forever. And I'd recommend manning up and doing it now, the right way so you don't have to do it over again later. And it's just one more thing to check off the list of maintenance items.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 15 Fiesta ST
    Yeah, this is definitely a common problem on older cars. Mine does it too. I'm going to just replace it this winter. I'm already pulling my intake manifold so I figure I'll do this while I'm back there.

My Cars
    '97 M3, '96 Legacy

Getting into the blow motor isn't terribly hard, but it's definitely annoying. Your hands will get cut by sharp plastic edges, the metal straps that hold the guards over the fans will pop off and be difficult/impossible to get back on, the wire harnesses won't fit nicely into their original spots ever again.

My blower motor seized up over the winter (car was off the road). I just needed to spin it a little to free it up. Now I sometimes get a scraping noise from the fan hitting something that I must have messed up and gotten in the way.

My Cars
    Cosmos Coupe
    This happened to me and it was just because the PO who replaced it, didnt put it in right. It was not centered and the cage was just barely grinding against the sheet metal surround and making the noise. You may just need to move it over a bit, not replace it.

My Cars
    GTO, Impala NB

dry lube

bicycle shops sell dry lube for chains
    Quote Originally Posted by m3c99 View Post
    yeah I thought I saw a diy or three on this but couldn't find them. The blower motor needs to be removed, cleaned and lubed with 'dry lube'. Somebody let me know who sells dry lube, looked for it last weekend and could not find it.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    For quite a while now I've been noticing when my heater or A/C is on, there is a chirping or squeaking noise when the fan is set to a slow speed. ...I noticed today that I can hear this sound from the outside of the car.
    Mine does this too, after 45 minutes of running. Good thing my commute is only 20 minutes. I also noticed that when it's chirping if I brake firmly the chirping gets worse so I'm going to guess that means the bearings have quite a bit of play in them.

Quote Originally Posted by dos Santos View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing. Where are the DIYs?
    I've been searching for them too but I suck at the search. I only ran across this thread today by accident. :\

Quote Originally Posted by REHaas View Post
    If you are going to remove, just replace. These aren't designed to last forever. And I'd recommend manning up and doing it now, the right way so you don't have to do it over again later. And it's just one more thing to check off the list of maintenance items.
    Yep, except I might puss out and have the dealership do it. : E
    Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

My Cars
    Cayman S
    has anyone just dry lubed the motor and had the chirp cease for over a year?

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    has anyone just dry lubed the motor and had the chirp cease for over a year?
    no but for the $1100 the dealership wants to replace it I might try that, except I think the bearings (or are they bushings?) might be too worn.
    Last edited by IppoJ; 04-08-2009 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Any updates? Ever find the DIY? I thought mine was the interior temp fan, so I pulled it and lubed it. Still noisy. Disconnected the interior temp fan, still noisy. Now I wish it was the interior temp fan, as it's easy to get to, even if it is $70... any success at lubing the blower?
    Sold: 98 M3/4/5 Techno Violet
    Sold: 07 Cayman S
    Sold: 98 Z3 M Roadster
    00 Z3 M Coupe: TC Kline SA, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 255/35/18(F), 295/30/18(R) on APEX ARC8's

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    it still doesn't chirp until after 45 minutes and my commute is 15 so I've just been waiting for it to die.
    Last edited by IppoJ; 12-20-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammer, speeling, ect.

My Cars
    '96 M3
    Where are the DIYs?
    Uno más .

My Cars
    1998 M3
    mine does this also, its pretty annoying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast