Thread: Unknown smoke coming from tailpipe E32 750?

My Cars
    92 BMW 750iL V12; 97 Chevy 1500 Big Block 496

Unknown smoke coming from tailpipe E32 750?

When my 92 750i is idling there is quite a noticable amount of white tinted smoke almost like your breath in cold weather. The thing is that it only emits when the car is idling in park or when it's idling at a stop sign, red light, etc. It also has a kinda strong smell to it if idling for a while. Sometimes it does it sometimes doesn't do it at all. Sometimes it does it a little and sometimes it does it a lot. I don't think it's oil becuase the oil level has never dropped and it's been doing this since I got it about two weeks ago. I'm skeptical about it being coolant, becuase it doesn't smell like coolant, but I do smell coolant when I get out of the car after it's been driven, but that's beucase it has a prior coolant hose leak and it got all over the inside of the engine compartment and is somewhat stained on the valve covers (was like that before I got it). It also idles somewhat wierdly sometimes. It will bounce from normal idle to about 500 RPMs back up a little higher than normal idles and etc.

My Cars
    02' 330ci, 00 740il
    i have that problem too, in the morning its normal, but my exhaust has a HORRIBLE smell all the time, and sometimes after it sits a bit that smoke piles out of the back alot, i dont know if thats the same, but when i turn my heater on it reaks coolant big time. Maybe we have the same prob, just you dont have it as bad?

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Those 12 cylinders will pump out a lot of water (part of combustion). I have a 740 and it does it too on cool/cold days.

My Cars
    So are you saying the coolant smell is normal?

Yes Robbie that's similar to the problem I have if not the same.

My Cars
    1994 740i
    no... i thought that he said there is no coolant smell from the tailpipe, only up front from a spill/leaky hose.

My Cars
    yea I know it had a leak before becuase there are yellow-green coolant stains on the valve covers and were the coolant overflow hose connects to the resevoir.

My Cars
    02' 330ci, 00 740il
    Well one day i was leaning down to take the oil plug out to change the oil, and 2 seconds before i got on my knees, the radiator hose burst and white smoke and coolant went everywhere! I changed that but i still smell coolant in my heater! But yeah, mine only smokes after it sits for like 5 minutes and it gets past 2,000 rpms smoke piles out. I Don't know theres so much wrong with my car i cant count XD

My Cars
    Mine piles out cold breath smoke when idling or when rev'd on idle. I don't understand though. It goes away when I'm driving, but comes back when I come to a stop or idling and piles more smoke constantly.

My Cars
    02' 330ci, 00 740il
    yeah i notice that every morning with my car lol, i stop at a light and the smoke piles over my car to the front, it scares me, but it goes away after about 10 mins of driving

My Cars
    145 cylinders of power
    take the tobacco out of the pipe
    Random Sig below (refresh to see new image)

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    My e30 used to smoke when I was in Maryland, but when I brought it out to Vegas, it never smoked again. The difference in humidity was in the area of 50 - 60 percent. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I never lost coolant, so it was not a head gasket . The smoke would go away after I drove it for a while, but if I let it sit at idle for a while, it would start smoking again. Sometimes there would be a small puddle of clear liquid under the tail pipes, with no trace of anti freeze.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The 750 are known a fog machines especially in winter time. As long as the color is not blue, black and the exhaust does not smell of burnt oil, it is normal.
    The 750 exhaust is enormous large and takes on a lot of moisture, to get that blasted out and dry it takes a long time. Drive the car for let's say 30 miles at higher engine rev's and then your exhaust is free of moisture.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    see signature
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    The 750 are known a fog machines especially in winter time. As long as the color is not blue, black and the exhaust does not smell of burnt oil, it is normal.
    The 750 exhaust is enormous large and takes on a lot of moisture, to get that blasted out and dry it takes a long time. Drive the car for let's say 30 miles at higher engine rev's and then your exhaust is free of moisture.
    Yep and my 740 is a really good fog machine also. It is funny, when I was driving to get dinner tonight the car in the next lane behind me at a light was completely covered and the driver actually said something to me later down the road.
    Current - all are 6mt:
    1991 850i
    2004 Audi S4
    2000 Audi A6 2.7T

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Yes, humidity will play a factor... it's like putting sugar into water, the more saturated the water is with sugar, the harder it is to dissolve more sugar into it, and the water temperature affects it too. So you will see a lot more water vapor from your car on a humid cold day than you will on a warm dry day.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Winter time = fog machine time. This morning I noticed that again when it was 1 degree Celsius here and I remembered the word fog machine and searched for it.
    It was also high humidity.
    Make sure to check your fuse for the rear window demister https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rear-seat-pics
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!