Thread: DCT Issues

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey

DCT Issues

There are a few posts on M3post about this, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I've had my car stall twice now and today's was kinda dangerous. I was going up a parking lot ramp and a car was swinging wide into my lane a little. I slowed down to a crawl. When I went to step on the gas (after he waved my by), my car was sliding BACKWARDS down the ramp. It STALLED. It took me about 4-6 feet of sliding back before I realized I had stalled. It also wouldn't start until I was completely stopped. I'm just happy there were no cars behind me.

It also stalled once when I jumped on the brakes while going slow in a parking lot. I don't think the clutch had time to dissengage before the car stopped.

The new software update is suppose to fix the delay from the time you pull the paddle until the gear change actually starts, which is good. It's also suppose to fix the inability to downshift under braking, but I don't know if it'll fix the stalling issues or the delay in choosing a gear while going slowly, and then trying to accelerate. That's also dangerous because there's a delay in power while you're trying to pull out into traffic. It's like the DCT doesn't know which gear to choose.

Just wondering if anyone here has similar problems?
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    BMW
    I am having similar problems with my M3 DCT, to the point where I am reaching maximum frustration.

I have a 2005 330i parked in a private garage I am tempted to go get and make my daily driver again.

Here's a run-down of my issues:

1. Horrific low gear handling on city streets - The DCT's response is just killing me, she has stalled a few times, the engine breaking is too heavy, and in low gears the power delivery is hard to come by in stop and go traffic. I should not have to put a 414HP car in "power" mode in stop and go traffic to get a response out of 1st or 2nd gear. The power is completely uneven as well, I have often been at half pedal depression before I get any engine response.

2. Noise - I don't know if this is just me, but at low gears my DCT is audible and noisy. It literally CLUNKS as it shifts gear. I came around a corner tonight near home in 3nd gear, as I slowed down further I could hear the transmission clunk clunk as it tried to get to 2nd gear, then a sudden rush of engine braking. I have a pretty even foot, I don't "pit-pat" the pedal, and the car behaves poorly.

3. Drive Mode - Believe it or not, I have all but given up on "drive" mode (no shifting required). Power problems and low gear handling is even worse here.

I do not know what to do, frankly. I sincerely doubt any software update is going to help me. I want to visit a BMW dealership and drive another DCT for sanity checking purposes at this point.

My Cars
    2009 E92 M3 DCT
    If you don't have the latest software V31.1, than please make an appointment and get it done. It definitely clears up the stalling issues and the low speed issues. My '09 came with V31.1 and it's flawless. At low speeds in either drive (auto mode) or Sequential (manual mode), the car is fine...no problems. The shifting is perfect and fast in all modes. You will occasionally hear a "clunk", but it's probably the rear differential. They normally clunk much like they did in the E46 M3 (I know...I had 3 E46 M3's with SMG and they all clunked). The only thing I've ever noticed on mine is going down a steep, long driveway with the car in 1st gear (sequential mode). With my foot off the gas, so the car is going about 2-3 mph in 1st gear, it will "stutter", meaning the car feels like it's on and off the gas and not running evenly. It's a bit better if I shift into 2nd, but it's still there.

V31.1 is great. There is a newer version coming out by the end of the year that should take care of any other problems or problems caused by V31.1.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    V31.2 is already out, and I may have just missed it.
    The slow speed delay is better with my update, but still not perfect.

I usually drive around in D3. I think part of the problem is, DCT has the car in 3-4th gear when you're going 10MPH and then there's a delay while the DCT tries to figure out if it should down shift. So I basically just manually down shift to 2nd gear when I'm in that situation, and then put it back into "D" mode.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7

My Cars
    Cmod/GTS4 M3,E92 M3
    I just had the software update performed today with the DCT in the my M3. I was wondering what others have thought of the update and have there been any issues with it after the update?

thanks

JB

My Cars
    650i
    MY 1200 mile service was done a month ago and the document mentions that -

OPEN CAMPAIGN M3 REPROGRAM FOR DCT
    REPROGRAM W/CAS AS PER SIB 28-06-08 8326 WWIMP

Can anyone tell from the above if the software upgrade was done on my vehicle?

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    You had to have the update since it was an actual NTHSA Recall and not just a BMW bullitin.

I still get the delay's when stepping on the gas, and the dealer was able to reproduce this. They did something with the clutches and it's better, but still there. I'm just waiting on the rumored update later this month or early next year that's suppose to truely address this delay.

It's pretty dangerous when you stick your nose out into oncoming traffic and there's NO POWER when you step on the gas.
    Last edited by aus; 12-16-2008 at 11:34 PM.

My Cars
    650i
    I have actually never experienced anything like that so was just wondering if its just me or is my car okay....

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Try it in D3 mode. Go from 40-50mph and brake for a light or a corner. Then while going around 5 mph, step on the gas and see if the car goes or if nothing happens for about a second, and then the engine revs suddenly.

My Cars
    650i
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    Try it in D3 mode. Go from 40-50mph and brake for a light or a corner. Then while going around 5 mph, step on the gas and see if the car goes or if nothing happens for about a second, and then the engine revs suddenly.

This is funny, I have noticed that when the car is going slow and i need to accelerate I need to push the gas way harder than I have needed to do it on other cars...but I 'll try the above suggestion today

My Cars
    Toyota Broquoia
    Complete newbie question but the DCT does not have driver clutch control correct? Clutch control and modulation is all done electronically by the ECU?

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by DiScoTeknix View Post
    Complete newbie question but the DCT does not have driver clutch control correct? Clutch control and modulation is all done electronically by the ECU?
    That is correct. There are actually two clutches the ECU controls.

My Cars
    Toyota Broquoia
    That is correct. There are actually two clutches the ECU controls.
    Inhumanly fast shifts must be nice except for not having a way to manually control the clutch. I wish manufactures gave consumers a true sequential gearbox but I guess there isn't much of a market for it.

My Cars
    2008 M3 Sedan
    I know exactly what you are talking about cuz I experienced the same issue! I hope BMW comes out with another reprogramming that can fix this.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bean View Post
    I know exactly what you are talking about cuz I experienced the same issue! I hope BMW comes out with another reprogramming that can fix this.
    Did you get the updated program? It's better since I got the update, but DEFINITELY still there. Then the dealer said they adjusted the clutch, and it was a little better, but still not like a regular manual. It's like the computer can't figure out if it wants 1st or 2nd gear. The shop foreman also told my SA that the computer needs to "learn your driving," what ever that means. The SA couldn't even say that without giving a chuckle.
    Last edited by aus; 12-16-2008 at 11:37 PM.

My Cars
    2008 M3 Sedan
    Yeah I did get the DCT reprogrammed. Feels better but still lags. My Service Rep also told me about the car having to learn your driving style...I am a little skeptical but I guess I wait to see if my car will learn. sigh...
    08 M3 Sedan
    Purely stock...for now
    Alpine White w/ Fox Red Novillo Leather
    Tech | Premium | Weather Packages
    19" Forged and polished Double Spoke Wheels
    DCT with Drivelogic
    Venture Shield extended version
    99 M3 Coupe
    Tri-Flo Performance Exhaust System | AFE Cold-Air Intake
    Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Springs | Strut Bar | 18" BBS RS-GT Diamond Black
    ZKW Euro Ellipsoids w/ Angel Eyes | AC Schnitzer handbrake & foot pedals
    Pioneer DVD Player/GPS system

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Did you get the updated program? It's better since I got the update, but DEFINITELY still there. Then the dealer said they adjusted the clutch, and it was a little better, but still not like a regular manual. It's like the computer can't figure out if it wants 1st or 2nd gear. The shop foreman also told my SA that the computer needs to "learn your driving," what ever that means. The SA couldn't even say that without giving a chuckle.
    Was he chuckling at your or the computer . Just kidding ok. What it means is that the map is not hardcoded and it adapts based on your driving style. IF you drive like a grandpa then it learns to shift smoothly. If you use the gas pedal like an on/off switch then it shifts more aggressively. I guess the Germans haven't completely been able to make the car learn how to adapt to Americans .
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2011 BMW 135i DCT
    wondering if anyone can help, my 2011 135i DCT is not going into park and have to leave the car in neutral all the time. Car moves fine in drive and reserve, dont feel any difference

car battery was removed for about 2 days and then all of a sudden this occured

get the warning codes
    005054 - Park adaptive exceeded limit and
    park gear magnet defective

however resetting fault codes does not clear the error.

will appreciate any help

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    what does the service recommendation say when you enter that 005054 code? i am estimating that it's your shifter mechanism.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE