RM European Auto Parts

Thread: misfire, need to get new coil packs.. bavauto or oem?

My Cars
    95' 530i, 90' 500SL

misfire, need to get new coil packs.. bavauto or oem?

my car has been misfiring lately, and today i did a check, and it turns out that 2 of the coil packs are week when the car is fully warmed up. i plan on replacing all 8 coil packs. my questions is should i get the bavauto performance coils for $333 for the set of 8. i will not expect gains of them, but if they work better then thats great, i just need them to work!. or get 8 new oem ones for $45 each ($360). surprisingly, the bavauto ones are cheaper in price. any suggestions?

thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Helluva predicament. On one hand, I have no faith in OEM coils, especially Bremi ones. On the other hand, BavAuto has carried bling-bling go fast parts which are absurdly silly, like their five thousand dollar titanium superthin brake kits, which any racer could have told them was stupid (no heat sink!, duh!).

I'd probably order OEM ones from BavAuto, or at least ask them what country their bling ones were made in...

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Ebay you should find a cheap set there

My Cars
    87 325is
    First you need to prove that your problem is actually the coil packs and not an upset in the A/F ratio. The simplest way to accomplish that is to swap a misfiring coil to a different cylinder, clear the fault codes, and see if the misfire fault moves with the coil. When you pull the suspect coil, examing the plug boot. If it is hard or discolored, it could be causing misfires. In a similar manner, if there's oil in the plug wells (from leaking valve cover gaskets), you have another possible cause of misfires.

If moving coils around fail to prove that a specific coil is bad, the next most likely causes of random misfires is an upset of the A/F ratio. Which can be caused by; intake leaks, contaminated MAF, failing CCV, partially plugged catalytic converts, a fuel problem, etc.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    95' 530i, 90' 500SL
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    First you need to prove that your problem is actually the coil packs and not an upset in the A/F ratio. The simplest way to accomplish that is to swap a misfiring coil to a different cylinder, clear the fault codes, and see if the misfire fault moves with the coil. When you pull the suspect coil, examing the plug boot. If it is hard or discolored, it could be causing misfires. In a similar manner, if there's oil in the plug wells (from leaking valve cover gaskets), you have another possible cause of misfires.

If moving coils around fail to prove that a specific coil is bad, the next most likely causes of random misfires is an upset of the A/F ratio. Which can be caused by; intake leaks, contaminated MAF, failing CCV, partially plugged catalytic converts, a fuel problem, etc.
    about a couple thousand miles, i changed the valve cover gaskets, grommets, spark plugs, all the boots on the coils, filters. i gave it a tune up. yesterday i dropped by my mechanics and he we went through each coil as the car was running. 2 of them seemed to be weak. he told me to wait a bit, but i drive my car everyday, and i want to get it fixed asap.