Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z3 Steering Rack Conversion

My Cars
    ltw97m3
    i did some research within this site a couple months back and there are sources that state just what has been quoted above i.e. 95 variable and 96-99 linear, and i also saw the exact opposite. just something to note as i wouldnt put to much credence into what one person says and would research the subject more before you reach a verdict.

joenationwide is offline Makes Cars Dance BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 M3 (GTS2), 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by =BA= View Post
    Definitly not true. (at least at the euro cars)

The 95 M3 rack is a variable one that starts out on 1:19,8 on centre and 1:14,4 at full lock.

96-99 M3 is the same as all E36 with 1:17,8

Z3 non M rack will give 1:15,4

It takes more than 200 degress steeringwheel angle before the 95 M3 rack will actually become faster than a 96 M3 rack due to it's variable nature.

Also all non M Z3 racks are the same.
    Wow, surprised to hear this.

I swapped in a 1.9Z3 rack into my 95M3 years ago, and didn't really notice the difference that much. But when I drove a friend's 98 M3 at autox last year, I couldn't believe how slow the steering was, took me 3 runs just to adjust my driving (especially in the slaloms). So now I'm very thankful to have my Z3 rack in my car. In autox, it made a big difference for me going from the non M Z3 rack to the 98 M3 rack. On the street, maybe not such a big difference.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife View Post
    i did some research within this site a couple months back and there are sources that state just what has been quoted above i.e. 95 variable and 96-99 linear, and i also saw the exact opposite. just something to note as i wouldnt put to much credence into what one person says and would research the subject more before you reach a verdict.
    Dave, I'm done the same research, and your findings are correct..

95 variable
    96-99 linear

where in the world did u find differently?
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323TI

M6 power steering pump

Hi, not sure if anyone from this thread is still active on this website but I thought I would give it a try!
    Would an M6 pump be a bolt on or would a custom bracket need to be made?
    Both M6 and stock pumps are about the same price where I live so I was just wondering which one to go for.

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    I'm curious about this too.I have a junkyard Z3 rack, but I daily my e30 so I would love to have ample assist in parking lots if the M6 PS pump is a straight upgrade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12