Thread: Yes, I searched, Check engine light issue

My Cars
    92 325i, 2002 Honda Superhawk VTR1000

Yes, I searched, Check engine light issue

First off, the Check engine light in the 93' 325is I just bought does not follow the Bentley sequence as-stated in the manual. When in diagnostic mode, it simply blinks the code; blink pause blink blink pause blink blink pause blink and then it stays on for a few seconds and starts that 1221 (O2 sensor) code all over again. Never do I get a '1000' code as the Bentley states. Then, no matter how long I depress the gas pedal, the code refuses to clear. Lame shit, I know. I just replaced the O2, so the next issue could be wiring but regardless of whether or not there is truly a problem, the code should at least clear temporarily.

Help

Of course if you haven't frigged with the OBD I check engine stuff this will all be gibberish, I would assume maybe someone with a tiny bit of expertise may lend a hand to a fellow BMW lover. I am currently going to trace the leads to the O2 to see if there is continuity. Thanks!

"If ignorance is bliss, than wipe the smile off my face."- The great Zack De La Rocha, Rage Against the Machine

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    Sorry for not responding and being OT, but isn't the silver car in your subscription a VW Corrado?
    Martin Voigts
    BMW cars indy and locksmith
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    1993 318is 2008 535xi
    My check engine light was on and off and I used my peake and it was the O2 sensor.
    I replaced it and it never came back. No worries buddy.
    WTB: 17" M3 rims with tires

My Cars
    1994 325is, mazda 3
    when i get a CEL and do the stomp test it just repeats the code, never goes to the 1000 code.

After you replaced the O2 sensor did you disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to let the computer reset itself so to say?

Try that, fire her up and see if you get the code again.
    My cars has modded itself...
    Fan Explosion
    Hood Emblem Delete
    Traction control delete
    Auto unlocking doors
    window twitch
    check coolant

My Cars
    As usual I will have to trouble shoot myself...dammit. There is never an easy answer like "oh, make sure your windows are up when you enter diagnostic mode!"

Yup, tha's one of the many Corrados that I have owned. That little G60 was my favorite. 1.8 liter 8v Rabbit engine (essentially) + 20 pounds of G-lader boost. Intake and exhaust mani on the same side of the head for plenty of heatsoak... what a creation. It was a blast and it sounded like nothing else...

"If ignorance is bliss, than wipe the smile off my face."- The great Zack De La Rocha, Rage Against the Machine

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    You didn't try to read errors using a computer? I have a BMW Scanner and Carsoft module and it works pretty nice (but BMW Scanner cannot read E36s). I'd also suppose the CEL is on because of oxygen sensor or cat.

I really like Corrado, because it's a classic and in Europe very rare and quite expensive. But the other cars from VW are not my cup of tea, even though Skoda cars (part of VW Group) are made very near to me.
    Martin Voigts
    BMW cars indy and locksmith
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    1996 328
    I bought a great Memoscan computer off eBay. Feels a little like a cheap toy in your hands, but lots of functions, and was dirt cheap. Way less than a hundred bucks with shipping. It's paid for itself 3 times over so far. Only works for OBDII and EOBDII though... not sure about OBDI
    If you have a CEL, it should be your first purchase, these aren't brand new cars and will have problems occasionally.
    Facts:
    1) I don't proof read. EVER.

2) You guys seem to get into a lot of accidents.

3)Don't put your parent's car's in your signatures. They aren't yours. You're probably broke and spent your last 100 bucks on a shiny CAI instead of fixing everything that's broken on your car. This is why can't afford a scan to find out why your CEL is on.

My Cars
    I love the forums...

I have a scan tool but those are only for OBD2 cars. Pre-1996 cars are OBD 1 so there is no scan tool needed. I mentioned the 1221 code because that is what is poping up, which I know is the O2 code since I have the Bentley. The procedure for clearing the codes per the Bentley does not work for this car which is very odd. I already put a new O2 in the car so the wiring must be bare somewhere or a bunked connection. The O2 heater relay is all good, checked that. All that is left is a bad connection to the DME.

My main issues were that the code refused to clear which is odd, and that maybe this was a common issue with E36s to throw an O2 even if it is fine.

Corrados are pretty damn cool, I like VWs and Audis for the most part but the fact that they insist on putting the bulk of the engine's mass in FRONT of the front axle plain is just retarded. If you ever look at the sway bars on an A4 or Golf/ Jetta the front sway bar is like a tree trunk and the rear is like a pencil.... oh yeah, and then there is the lack of rear-drive.