Thread: Loud clicking sound inside of car when braking

My Cars
    1998 328i

Loud clicking sound inside of car when braking

Yesterday when I got off of work from the hospital I went into my car and turned on the engine and stuff and the put down the hand brake and braked in the change gears (auto) I heard a really loud click. I didn't know what it was b/c i never heard it before in my life. I figured it was something that was sticking. I felt the thing thump against my handbrake and my shift knob too and it was a loud click every time i stepped down on the brake pedal and released it. The clicking isn't b/c of the shifting but it was caused by stepping down on the brakes. It would do it in R N D and all the other gears I had except park i think i don't remember. Anyone every have this happen before? It went away afterwards. My e-brake was all the way down and stuff so i dunno.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    anyone have any ideas what it is?

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic
    i have it.
    suspect it is part of brake interlock system. some part is not completely engaged-probably in console.
    if i don't pull my auto shift lever firmly all the way back when i shift into drive, a loud click occurs in console where shift lever is, and it clicks each time i release foot petal brake from a complete stop.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    that's what i suspected. I was playing with my shift knob and i noticed taht when it wasn't right in the middle like a mm off then it would click really loud. aww shucks transmission still ok...no tranny swap