Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bought a salvage M Roadie yesterday

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Bought a salvage M Roadie yesterday

Well, I bought a salvage M Roadie yesterday; a 99' (S52) with 65,000 on the clock. It's from Long Island and was totaled because a tree fell on it--but it is very repairable, Runs and drives (I drove it from my friend's salvage yard to my other friends shop). I won't have pics for a couple of days. Silver with black interior. I'm already looking for a deck lid and rear fenders for it (I have a section of rear clip and a top which is what else it needs). Anyone know whose car this was? BTW, paid $3,405.00 for it, and that price includes the shipping from NY to Ohio. It is a complete and untouched (no mods) original. I'm stoked to have this for a winter project. I'll post picks this weekend.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Nice score. If I weren't downsizing homes next spring, I'd buy a salvage S52 coupe and start swapping parts over and return my 3.0 to stock for the wife.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Sounds like it'll work out to be a good deal in the end.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    I have the rear body parts (trunk, rear fenders) if you haven't found any yet. PM your email address and I'll send pictures.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I know HubJeep (John) has a silver MZ3 out on Long Island...
    Last edited by Z-Thrizzle; 10-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.
    -Phil

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Pics pls@ let's see how bad the damage was.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    z3
    Would also love to see pics, seems promising! What a steal

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Spent the evening after work cleaning it up and removing damaged parts. The interior came back really well--treated the seats and other leather, and vacuumed out a lot of glass, wood chips and bark. I had to split the deck lid like an oyster with an air chisel to get the wiring harness out of it. I'll get pics over the weekend.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    pics pics pics! Let us see your new project!

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    1998 BMW
    yeah can't wait!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Finally took some pictures yesterday (remember a tree fell on it):

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9
    The only repair that would scare me I think is the lip of the rag top. I have never looked on mine but if its bent and spot welded it could be hard to get straight again. Your rag top bolts in behind there. I would look into that first, get through that and the rest looks like it could be an easy remove and replace. Best of luck to you, nothing like that satisfaction of diy.
    Last edited by Bergen Bimmer; 10-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    After seeing those photos I would recommend you prioritize the areas you need that car to be fixed and make sure you keep to a budget of around 5k or so.

That is if you would rather not dump more money into the car than it's worth.

My Cars
    2011 550i, 2000 M Rdstr
    have you gotten under it and see if there is any suspension / frame problems? Looks like alot of weight to do that kind of damage.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have lined up the rear deck lid, rear fenders, assorted plastic bits, a roll bar, deck lid hinges and struts from a fellow member for a very good price. I have a complete non-M z3 hit in the front at my disposal with a good top. I plan on cutting out the rear sections for the top tub and surround, and welding in the replacements from the donor z3. I may have to section in the shock tower on the passenger's side--don't know yet. Passenger's rear wheel is tilted in a few degrees at the top, so something will have to be addressed there.

I say "I" will do this, but the truth is I have a very good friend who owns a top notch collision repair shop who will be doing all the frame and body work. I will do all mechanical and coach work.

The donor z3 is in another good friend's import salvage yard down the street. We'll bring the donor to the shop and dismantle it there and send back what we don't use.

Cost will come in at less than 5K including the car. That being said, I am giving the car to my body shop friend--I already have one--and he deserves one too. So, cost to me is the whole car, but I get the pleasure and satisfaction of saving one, and the fun of fixing it

My Cars
    Audi R8 V10 Plus [GATED]
    In that case: a beer for you! well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I have lined up the rear deck lid, rear fenders, assorted plastic bits, a roll bar, deck lid hinges and struts from a fellow member for a very good price. I have a complete non-M z3 hit in the front at my disposal with a good top. I plan on cutting out the rear sections for the top tub and surround, and welding in the replacements from the donor z3. I may have to section in the shock tower on the passenger's side--don't know yet. Passenger's rear wheel is tilted in a few degrees at the top, so something will have to be addressed there.

I say "I" will do this, but the truth is I have a very good friend who owns a top notch collision repair shop who will be doing all the frame and body work. I will do all mechanical and coach work.

The donor z3 is in another good friend's import salvage yard down the street. We'll bring the donor to the shop and dismantle it there and send back what we don't use.

Cost will come in at less than 5K including the car. That being said, I am giving the car to my body shop friend--I already have one--and he deserves one too. So, cost to me is the whole car, but I get the pleasure and satisfaction of saving one, and the fun of fixing it

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post

If the hit from the tree were hard enough, the trailing arm is probably bent, that's why the wheel would be tilted in. Bad news is that you can't use the Z3 arms on an M, you're going to need to source a pair of M trailing arms.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    You're probably right. I have new urethane bushings and the puller, so I'm half way there. I plan on dropping the sub frame in any event, so at least I'll have it on the bench for that. Anyone have a set of passenger's M tailing arms they are willing to part with?

My Cars
    850X2/Z3X3/1 Ser/3 SerX4
    Shrug... I wanted to see the damage done initially, but that looks pretty scary... not beyond repair and price is right though. So good luck and can't wait to see the final/redone pics!

My Cars
    See my signature
    imagine...5k and you will have all the joy (women not included in this comparison) in the world a man needs...thats crazy. Good on you!!! imagine, 5k usually gets you what these days in the car market....NADA (and I don't mean that silly black book of car values)

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3racer701 View Post
    If the hit from the tree were hard enough, the trailing arm is probably bent, that's why the wheel would be tilted in. Bad news is that you can't use the Z3 arms on an M, you're going to need to source a pair of M trailing arms.
    That's right. I know from personal experience.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    Sounds like it'll work out to be a good deal in the end.
    Is this a factory color (the purple in Kyle's post)? I've seen a local roadster in it, so I assume so... What's the name?

My Cars
    Millenium Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by htroberts View Post
    Is this a factory color (the purple in Kyle's post)? I've seen a local roadster in it, so I assume so... What's the name?
    It is. The name is Violet. It's an uncommon color because, well, not many people wanted a purple roadster.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Anderson View Post
    It is. The name is Violet. It's an uncommon color because, well, not many people wanted a purple roadster.
    Thats because not many people are ballers with awesome taste

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    Wow! If it will be a DD, you got a steal of a deal. The salvage title will keep it from being a collector, but heck... this kind of forces you to actually use the car to its fullest potential!
    Hello. I like you.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast