Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Window Regulator

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by keifers5281 View Post
    That for the great post you did on the regulator replacement, It was right on time. I have a small question though. When I was removing the door panel, and I went disconnect the window switch, the largest plug would not come off. Is there some special why that you get it to unlock compared to the smaller two. The other two had a lock that you pulled up, but the bigger plug did not have anything that I could find and it will not just pull off.
    You must be talking about the driver's side with the combo switch (all windows plus side mirrors). I replaced my module about 3 years ago. I had a heck of a time also. I don't remember how I disconnected the large plug. With the two smaller plugs, once you figure out one, you've got the other. Why in the hell they had to do something completely different for the large plug is beyond me.

I still have the old module. In looking at the large plug, I think the way to disconnect it is at the bottom (the end toward the middle of the body of the module). It's not symmetrical. There are 4 large round metal posts which are the contacts so you have the pull the plug off quite a ways to clear everything. Where the red arrow is pointing is where I think is where you unlock the plug.

My Cars
    eXXXIX DXL
    Quote Originally Posted by keifers5281 View Post
    Thanks for your great info on the regulator replacement, it was right on time as mine just went out friday. I have one question though. When I was removing the door panel and I went to disconnect the window switch, one of the plugs won't come off. There three plugs , the largest of the three is the one causing the problem. The smaller two had a latch type lock on them, but the larger one did not seem to have the same type, and it won't just pull off. Any suggestions?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZ-bcEYdRA[/ame]

8:22 is what you are looking for

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I got lucky on my driver's side front window. The window was simply out of the track grips on the bottom, probably due to trying to use the window during freezing in the winter. I lubricated everything and all seems well for now. I noticed no fraying or other issues. This is on a 99 528i with 130k.

My Cars
    '00 528i

window switch help

Thanks alexONE, that was just the info I needed. The video was especially helpful. Now let me see if I can finish this regulator so I can ride with my window up.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Dumb question perhaps guys but here it goes, i disconnect battery before anything, disconnect airbag as well, and then connect battery to adjust window once installed and reconnect the air bag? am i going to get an airbag light? afterwards? What is the propper procedure with thye airbag.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiepicazo View Post
    Dumb question perhaps guys but here it goes, i disconnect battery before anything, disconnect airbag as well, and then connect battery to adjust window once installed and reconnect the air bag? am i going to get an airbag light? afterwards? What is the propper procedure with thye airbag.
    My understanding is that any time the battery is connected but the airbag isn't, it will trigger the airbag light. I disconnected my battery but left the airbag connected so I wouldn't trigger the light since you have to test the alignment of the glass and up and down limits of the regulator. Not the smartest thing to do but I don't have the SRS reset tool and no way in hell I'd pay a dealer to turn off the light.

My Cars
    '02 540is is latest

Thumbs up thank you

Wow what great instuctions on the pdf file. Good job! I found a regulator on Ebay from seller allaboutparts569 for $62.67 with free shipping! When my drivers window quit (frozen shut but I pushed the button anyway, go figure) I wondered if the glass had just come out of the clamps after looking at your post or if the cables were all knotted up like the l/r door of my 740 il when it quit.
    New part in hand I removed the door card to find the glass was out of the clamps. I re-attached the window, cleared the code from un-plugging the air bag ( they really will not go off without a signal from a crash sensor,or hooking 12 volts directly to them) and it works great. I'll save the new regulator for when I have a real failure and use you instructions to install it.
    Thanks again.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Are the rear window regulators hard to replace... ?

And, do I need to anything out of the ordinary to get the old units out.. ?

I'm asking, because the window regulators on my 98 M3 sedan had to have some rivets drilled out...

My Cars
    1999 540i
    im following the job like your guide says, when i finished and started the car, the Air bag light came on, why?? how can i erase the light?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipito147 View Post
    im following the job like your guide says, when i finished and started the car, the Air bag light came on, why?? how can i erase the light?
    Here's what the guide says:
    "I similarly did not disconnect the air bag. I used a piece of string and tied it to the
    window frame. It’s a lot easier if you disconnect and remove the airbag. It is much
    safer and allows you to reconnect the battery to check adjustment and operation of the
    regulator. Before reconnecting the air bag you’ll need to disconnect the battery to avoid
    any potential for the bag deploying accidentally. The only catch is you’ll end up needing
    to reset the SRS light on the dash. That will take either a dealer or a specialized
    aftermarket tool which does the reset similar to the Peake CEL/code tool.
    "

I should have been more clear and said that if the battery is connected at any time the airbag is disconnected, it will trigger the airbag light on the dash. If you did not disconnect the airbag and still have the light, then I do not know what would cause that. I apologize if the guide was misleading.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    The OP has included a link to the pdf in his first post.

Here's another copy of the link.

Front Window Regulator Replacement
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 11-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.

My Cars
    98 528i RIP, 2010 SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 82bmw633 View Post
    Here's what the guide says:
    "I similarly did not disconnect the air bag. I used a piece of string and tied it to the
    window frame. It’s a lot easier if you disconnect and remove the airbag. It is much
    safer and allows you to reconnect the battery to check adjustment and operation of the
    regulator. Before reconnecting the air bag you’ll need to disconnect the battery to avoid
    any potential for the bag deploying accidentally. The only catch is you’ll end up needing
    to reset the SRS light on the dash. That will take either a dealer or a specialized
    aftermarket tool which does the reset similar to the Peake CEL/code tool.
    "

I should have been more clear and said that if the battery is connected at any time the airbag is disconnected, it will trigger the airbag light on the dash. If you did not disconnect the airbag and still have the light, then I do not know what would cause that. I apologize if the guide was misleading.

Guys, it is not necessary to disconnect or remove the airbag assembly for the front windows. Simply disconnect the battery and wait 15 min. Put the window down halfway prior to disconnecting the battery so you can access the glass mount bolts. On the front windows there are access holes in the door panel to access the top mounts for the regulator. Just peel back the vapor barrier at the top and you can put a socket extension right through the hole without even touching the airbag unit. (If your window is stuck in the up position and you intend on replacing the entire regulator, you can just cut the cables and force the window down by hand.)

You still need to remove the speaker box assembly for better access to the motor and lower regulator. Just remove the speaker box bolts and move the assembly (with the wires attached) into the front foot well. Use painter's tape to hold up the vapor barrier while you remove the lower regulator mounts. If you want to electrically control the window to test it it will be after you have mounted the glass and motor anyway, so then you can reconnect the battery for final test. To be safe, disconnect the battery and wait another 15 min. to reinstall the door panel and finish the job.
    9/30/2007 - 200,000 Miles!
    11/29/10 - 300,000 miles and counting! 4/10/2012 - 332,635! 01/14/2013 - 350,000 miles! 10/25/15 - 395,872 End of the Road
    Never explain yourself... Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican71 View Post
    Guys, it is not necessary to disconnect or remove the airbag assembly for the front windows. Simply disconnect the battery and wait 15 min. .....
    Ah, perfect description. That's exactly what I did. I just couldn't explain it very well, although I did move the airbag (I was very paranoid!). Thanks.

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    I have a 99 540i and the front passenger window quit working, not due to the regulator but due to the clamps slipping off the window. When they do that they turn sideways and hang up with only a few inches of movement. I replaced the regulator but still have issues with the amount of tension on the window when it travels, creating too much tension on the clamps to the window. Is there an easy fix to make it move easier? May be something to check on yours before buying a regulator.

My Cars
    2001 528i
    Thanks, .pdf looks good...I am going to give it a shot in a week or two.

My Cars
    X5 6 Speed 76 2002 95e34
    Any way you could send me a copy of the PDF? I would really appreciate it. My driver side front window quit today, I can still hear what seems to be the motor trying to move but the window wont move at all....regulator most likely? From the posts it seems to match the symptoms but didn't find a definitive answer; thanks again.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Check my first post in this thread. There should be a link on-line to the PDF for download. It the link doesn't work, PM your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    Please - if someone could send me thorough instructions on how to do the drivers side on a 2001 525i I would be beyond grateful. I have had this car for less than 3 months and little by little EVERYTHING seems to be falling apart. I need to minimize my repair expenses as much as possible.

Please please please..

thank you!!!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Right above your post and in the very first post in this thread.... there's a link to a PDF with instructions and photos. Not perfect, but it'll get the job done. Read the other posts in this thread about additional info, hints, and the airbag stuff. Very helpful.

My Cars
    2001 528i
    Thanks for the help in this forum. My E39 drivers side window was stuck in the up position. When I press the down button, the motor would go on for a short time but nothing would happen and I decided to tackle it myself. Followed the instructions on door dis-assembly helpful. When I took a look, the window was dislodged from the retaining clips which causes the cable to jam. I loosened the clips using the torx driver, refit the window and tightened it. Total time including putting it back together was about 30 minutes. I made one mistake though. I disconnected the air bag and turned on the key to check the window. This causes the airbag light to stay on which I now must reset with a diagnostic tool. It is documented in some of the forums to either disconnect battery and short the load or leave the bag attached. That would have saved me some grief. At least my window works now and it didn't cost me a penny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW E39 530iA
    I downloaded your tutorial, but I just wonder if it works for the back windows too? Or do I need another tutorial?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Naikon View Post
    I downloaded your tutorial, but I just wonder if it works for the back windows too? Or do I need another tutorial?
    Back windows are completely different. There should be several articles/threads you can find by searching either in the E39 section or even just a Google search. Here's one from the E39 DIY section http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1687976

My Cars
    BMW E39 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 82bmw633 View Post
    Back windows are completely different. There should be several articles/threads you can find by searching either in the E39 section or even just a Google search. Here's one from the E39 DIY section http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1687976
    Thanks, that was a really nice link!

It actually seems that I can manage to do this now. But one question.

It says that after you've fixed this, you may have to re-program the regulator. But can't you just start the ignition right after you've fixed the regulator, and then see if it works? It feels dumb to put back the whole door panel, to see that you have to take it down again.

Hope you understand my question. Im really tired...

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    FRONT Regulator DIYs:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/665429

I wrote REAR Regulator in this forum, search for it.

My Cars
    2002 530i sport package
    got a 2002 530i, opened up all the way up to metal frame. I see I have no problem with the mounting brackets 10mm nuts at the bottom, I still trying to figure how to access the motor and assembly at the top. Please send to: hugoafamasaga@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast