Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Build your sub box for $30 in 5 minutes. No woodworking skills necessary.

My Cars
    1 German/ 1 American
    sold out

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlakeman View Post
    sold out
    Only the 12" versions are gone.

EDIT: The 10" boxes are also now sold out.
    Last edited by 12v Electronics; 12-29-2009 at 08:20 PM.

My Cars
    1999 323is | 5-Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Can you tell me what kind of "real" problems this box could cause to a subwoofer?

True, I do recommend sealing the box with silicone and using wood glue on the edges, but honestly the adhesive works very well. I tied to take one of them apart after it was built and I had to use a prybar and a hammer to get it apart. When it came apart, the adhesive did not break, but the wood around it did. I would have never believed it if I didn't see it for myself. The nice thing is that it is very easy to replace the factory adhesive with wood glue and it will be built as good as any other 3/4" mdf box can be.

The $30 price is pretty unbelievable, and I can understand your view that it might be too good to be true. I know no builder can even buy the materials for this price.

I don't know why Crunch or any of the other brands you are in charge of developing would be damaged by not having the exact size box, but most speakers are very safe within the airspace available in these boxes.

These boxes are mitre cut and the mating surfaces have routered channels and dowel pins, so I guess these are above your specifications for quality.

The purpose of this thread is to show people an easy and inexpensive way to get a subwoofer in their cars. Custom designed cabinets have an advantage for vehicle application, driver tuning, etc., but will also cost much more money. This is a simple and quality solution- And you can't beat the price.

+1
    ~win~

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by archangeljx View Post
    ~win~
    Since you brought it up, I still have this box in my car with an Image Dynamics IDQ12D2v3 in it and really enjoyed the ride home tonight. The problem is that I have started to become a bass head because it sounds so good, but with the windows down on a nice ride....I am very happy.

My Cars
    1999 323is | 5-Speed
    heck yea, i'd go for one if i didn't already have a good box

My Cars
    BMW 540i M,BMW 325IS
    Hmm... hows the sound ??

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWEAGLE View Post
    Hmm... hows the sound ??
    I still have a 12" in my E92 and I love it. I am not looking to change anyhing anytime soon.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    We just received an interesting product. It is a DIY subwoofer box kit that comes complete with carpeting, binding posts and hardware. It is shipped flat to reduce the shipping costs and can be assembled in less than 5 minutes with a phillips screwdriver. It is constructed from 3/4" MDF and has really great binding posts/bannana connectors. The carpet is pre-attached and the joints are routered and dowel pinned to make assembly extrememly easy so no woodworking experience necessary.

Now for the best part. We have them on sale for $29.99 and due to their design, they ship standard UPS so shipping costs are very reasonable. Materials alone would cost more than this.

Here is what you get:

The joints are routered and have adhesive tape on them so all you have to do is line up the numbers and fold the box together.

Option: You can also remove the adhesive strips and use wood glue for an even better bond, however the supplied adhesive works very good. (I know this because I tried to take one apart. It was not easy)

Now place the screws (supplied) into the pre-drilled holes and drive them in. That's it. The box is complete in about 5 minutes or less.

Option: Silicone sealant (not supplied) can be placed on the inside joints to prevent any air leakage. The routered joints and adhesive tape do a very good job, but a bit of overkill never hurt.

Now place your favorite speaker in the box and make the connections. You are done.

They are available in the following sizes:

10" sub: Size- .8 cubic foot. 14" wide, 13" tall, 13" deep
    12" sub: Size- 1.55 cubic feet. 17" wide, 16" tall, 14.75" deep
    15" sub: Size- 1.95 cubic feet. 19" wide, 18" tall, 16" deep

I am using the 12" version in my car right anow and it sounds very good. It is built from 3/4 MDF wood, so it is really built better than most of the pre-made boxes available. I built it exactly as the instructions said and did not do anything extra like glue or silicone the edges. There are no air leaks that I can find and the box is super strong. It is really a great idea and looks great. The carpet finishes nicely even at the joined edges.

They are available on our website:
    http://www.12velectronics.com/servle...res/Categories

For another great deal, we can also include a very nice 12" subwoofer for $59.99 which would bring the total to $89.98 for both pieces. Or a 400w sub amp for $109.99 which would bring the total to $199.97 for a box, sub and amplifier. -Thats less than $200 for for a complete subwoofer package.

....ask me how. I think I smell another thread coming.
    I know this thread is old, and it seems this product is sold out or selling out...... But I want to add my 2 cents to this thread.

A box is a box folks. A sealed enclosure needs to do two things: provide the right volume and be sealed and remain sealed.

A sealed enclosure is the easiest type to work with, and recommended by most speaker manufacturers. The dimensions of this box for a 10" sub is .8 cu ft. For most decent subs on the market, this box will do a fine job because it is in the middle of the road between max output and best response. For my subs, the manufacturer recommends a .55 cu ft sealed enclosure for max output, or 1.1 cu ft for best SQ. The volume of this box would be fine.

The next thing is does it seal and stay sealed? Well, it might. I don't have my hands on one, but if the adhesive it comes with is good, it will seal. Will it stay sealed? Hard to say. If I was putting one together I woudl probably beef it up, just as the original poster recommended. I would personally use a good wood glue, and silicone sealant, and I would reinforce the connection points with more screws. That does not mean this box is junk. It just means I as the installer know I probably have to do a little more work if I want this to stand up to 1000W of bass and last years. The material and thickness is fine, just needs a better way to seal and secure the structure.

I just don't understand why people jumped on this thread, and this supporting vendor, with so much bull crap. This box damaging voice coils? Someone said their subs would blow it apart? Come on guys.

Can the boix be ported? Well, maybe that was a topic that should have been omitted. The acoustic properties for a ported box are very different for a sealed box. This box is designed as a sealed box and should be used as such. It will be plug and play as such. For the market this box is intended for, sealed is fine. Only people that know the math/physics behind porting a box should be doing that, and that isn't who is going to buy this box.

This vendor is in this forum offering help and contributing on a daily basis. I think it is completely wrong to jump on him for simply making a recommendation on a product he felt would be good for most. If you don't think the product will work with your subs, then don't buy it. But to completely blast this thread with a bunch of chest beating is just pointless.
    Thomas

1997 328is -- Arctic Silver w/Black Interior
    Performance Mods:
    S52 Cams / M50 Manifold / Conforti CAI / Conforti Shark for S52 Cams / Borla Exhaust / UUC Pulleys / ASC Delete / Fan Delete / Bilstein + H&R Sport / Turner Adjustable Rear LCA's / UUC RTABs / ZF Auto-Manual Conversion / 3.23LSD Diff
    Audio Mods:
    Headunits & Sources: Pioneer Premier DEH690UB + XM Satellite + iPod into Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 Sound Processor
    Amplifiers: Soundstream 1002, Audiobahn A4801T
    Speakers: Subs -- (3) Soundstream Exact 10" / Rear -- Polk Audio db 6500 / Front -- Soundstream Exact 6.3
    Cosmetic Mods:
    Projector headlights w/HIDs, Clear Tail, Corner, and Side Lights / M3 Style Rear Diffuser / Bumper Trim and Side Moldings Painted Arctic Silver / Sport Package 16" Wheels Refinished

My Cars
    89 325i coupe
    People bashing this box discredited themselves by sounding like idiots

I don't need to know anything about car audio to tell those few weren't the sharpest tools in the shed but, still tools.

My Cars
    AUDI
    quite professional.

My Cars
    r32 nissan skyline
    nice nice
    where do I sign up lol
    I'll take 50

My Cars
    99 gsr-t
    when can we expect the 12 inch versions to be back in stock?

i let my integra friends know about the deal, and we all want in.

Don't make us go elsewhere!!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by burnTout View Post
    when can we expect the 12 inch versions to be back in stock?

i let my integra friends know about the deal, and we all want in.

Don't make us go elsewhere!!
    Sorry, they won't be coming back. We bought every one that was left from the manufacturer and they are no longer made.

Once the 10's and 15's are gone that is it too.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    WOW i never expected to ever see that. Assembly required sub box. haha
    1988 BMW 735i
    Production Date: 1988/04
    Chassis Number: 3212002

My Cars
    98 528i
    That is impressive!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i Sport
    One question,

I have a gray box and I want one exactly like this. Whats the diffrence between sealed box and vented one? I have 1 12 inch Kicker. Doesnt bass have a more vibration to the sound with a vented box?

Thanks

My Cars
    BMW e36 328iA cabrio

Interesting ....

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002bmw325i View Post
    One question,

I have a gray box and I want one exactly like this. Whats the diffrence between sealed box and vented one? I have 1 12 inch Kicker. Doesnt bass have a more vibration to the sound with a vented box?

Thanks
    Vented enclosures boost whatever frequency they are tuned to, and sealed enclosures will allow the sub to play a wider range of frequencies with little variation in volume. Bass is often tighter and punchier with sealed enclosures and more "boomy" with vented ones.

Also, I saw very similar DIY enclosures at Walmart a while ago. They didn't have the cool Blaupunkt embroidery on them but they looked to be the same kits. just an FYI for where to look after the Blau ones are sold out.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by defaz View Post
    Vented enclosures boost whatever frequency they are tuned to, and sealed enclosures will allow the sub to play a wider range of frequencies with little variation in volume. Bass is often tighter and punchier with sealed enclosures and more "boomy" with vented ones.

Also, I saw very similar DIY enclosures at Walmart a while ago. They didn't have the cool Blaupunkt embroidery on them but they looked to be the same kits. just an FYI for where to look after the Blau ones are sold out.
    Ported enclosures tuned to a specific low frequency shuld not be "boomy" unless tuned that way. Many (or should I say most) pre-made ported boxes have simple ports in them that are not tuned for any sub frequency that you would really want. Sealed is generally tighter bass as said.

I have seen the Scosche brand at Wallmart and it is not exactly the same. First of all it is made of pressboard and not MDF. It is also 1/2" or 5/8" depending on the model and is not the same volume. If you are comaparing, just make sure to take this in consideration.

My Cars
    86 325e, 08 Rabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
    I know this thread is old, and it seems this product is sold out or selling out...... But I want to add my 2 cents to this thread.

A box is a box folks. A sealed enclosure needs to do two things: provide the right volume and be sealed and remain sealed.

A sealed enclosure is the easiest type to work with, and recommended by most speaker manufacturers. The dimensions of this box for a 10" sub is .8 cu ft. For most decent subs on the market, this box will do a fine job because it is in the middle of the road between max output and best response. For my subs, the manufacturer recommends a .55 cu ft sealed enclosure for max output, or 1.1 cu ft for best SQ. The volume of this box would be fine.

The next thing is does it seal and stay sealed? Well, it might. I don't have my hands on one, but if the adhesive it comes with is good, it will seal. Will it stay sealed? Hard to say. If I was putting one together I woudl probably beef it up, just as the original poster recommended. I would personally use a good wood glue, and silicone sealant, and I would reinforce the connection points with more screws. That does not mean this box is junk. It just means I as the installer know I probably have to do a little more work if I want this to stand up to 1000W of bass and last years. The material and thickness is fine, just needs a better way to seal and secure the structure.

I just don't understand why people jumped on this thread, and this supporting vendor, with so much bull crap. This box damaging voice coils? Someone said their subs would blow it apart? Come on guys.

Can the boix be ported? Well, maybe that was a topic that should have been omitted. The acoustic properties for a ported box are very different for a sealed box. This box is designed as a sealed box and should be used as such. It will be plug and play as such. For the market this box is intended for, sealed is fine. Only people that know the math/physics behind porting a box should be doing that, and that isn't who is going to buy this box.

This vendor is in this forum offering help and contributing on a daily basis. I think it is completely wrong to jump on him for simply making a recommendation on a product he felt would be good for most. If you don't think the product will work with your subs, then don't buy it. But to completely blast this thread with a bunch of chest beating is just pointless.
    I am new here but I agree 100%, it looks like this product was/is great for what it was/is. Its an entry level sub box you can build yourself for one hell of a good price, sure its not the prettiest or best sounding ever created but that doesn't matter. I was shocked at some of the comments on here.

While I may be a bit of a BMW newbie I am a professional who deals with theatrical sound systems and know some of the claims made by posters were ridiculous. Just because you have something "better" that cost twice as much doesn't mean you should bash a product.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Shillyer View Post
    I am new here but I agree 100%, it looks like this product was/is great for what it was/is. Its an entry level sub box you can build yourself for one hell of a good price, sure its not the prettiest or best sounding ever created but that doesn't matter. I was shocked at some of the comments on here.

While I may be a bit of a BMW newbie I am a professional who deals with theatrical sound systems and know some of the claims made by posters were ridiculous. Just because you have something "better" that cost twice as much doesn't mean you should bash a product.
    Welcome to the forum!

Since you are in Chicago, you are welcome to come by and listen to the "cheaply taped together" box in my car.

I am still using one and it fits the airspace requirements of my Image Dynamics IDQ12 and it sounds great!

What you have said is very true. It fits an application nicely and works very well. Are there better? Sure, but if this enclosure suits your sub's requirements and fits your application well, you would have a hard time noticing the difference between a "pro" built enclosure of the same design.

My Cars
    E39
    I have had people mount 12's in the 10" box. It will work as long as the airspace requirements meet the needs of the woofer.
    Do you happen to know the enclosure requirements for Alpine Type R 12" subs?

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
    Do you happen to know the enclosure requirements for Alpine Type R 12" subs?
    Should be .7 to 1.0 cubic foot sealed.

Unfortuantely all of the 10" boxes are now sold and I only have a few 15's left.

My Cars
    black e30 325is
    Im going to buy one

My Cars
    1996 328is
    this is a really awesome idea i just wish that it didnt take up most of your trunk

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast