Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Build your sub box for $30 in 5 minutes. No woodworking skills necessary.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325CI
    Sweet deal, wouldnt make sense though for me in Toronto with those type of rates the shipping wld be more than the product

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 SMG AW/Cinn
    I just want to say thumbs up for a great product option. Regardless of what all the criticism some people are throwing up, this is really a great deal for anyone not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I'm currently working on a pair of fiberglass enclosures for my trunk, but it's been a VERY slow process, with the cold weather, lack of a garage, and a busy schedule. My subs and amp have just been sitting around until I can finish them, but now, I'm planning on ordering a pair of these boxes to use temporarily until I can finish up. I went to CarToys looking for a pair of similar boxes, and I was looking at $50 a piece, with a double-10 box at around 80-90. Thanks for providing a great product at a great price!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa316Smurf View Post
    I just want to say thumbs up for a great product option. Regardless of what all the criticism some people are throwing up, this is really a great deal for anyone not looking to spend an arm and a leg. I'm currently working on a pair of fiberglass enclosures for my trunk, but it's been a VERY slow process, with the cold weather, lack of a garage, and a busy schedule. My subs and amp have just been sitting around until I can finish them, but now, I'm planning on ordering a pair of these boxes to use temporarily until I can finish up. I went to CarToys looking for a pair of similar boxes, and I was looking at $50 a piece, with a double-10 box at around 80-90. Thanks for providing a great product at a great price!
    Let me know when you are ready. If you have any problem with the shipping calculator when buying 2, you can call or email me and I will make sure that you get charged the correct amount.

My Cars
    2005 BMW M3 SMG AW/Cinn
    How much should shipping be for these? It's telling me $42.11 for 2 of them to 97008. Is that right?

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Papa, it's just about the same because Cartoys will UPS deliver the $50 box for $3.95 and 12v will UPS deliver the box for $19!

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    How much should shipping be for these? It's telling me $42.11 for 2 of them to 97008. Is that right?
    I can do much better if we package 2 together. You have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgedude View Post
    Papa, it's just about the same because Cartoys will UPS deliver the $50 box for $3.95 and 12v will UPS deliver the box for $19!
    You cannot even ship one pound USPS Priority Mail for that. Obviously the sale price is inflated to include shipping costs or that is just plain incorrect.
    Last edited by 12v Electronics; 05-04-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    I can do much better if we package 2 together. You have a PM.

You cannot even ship one pound USPS Priority Mail for that. Obviously the sale price is inflated to include shipping costs or that is just plain incorrect.
    Dude, whether you inflate the product price or the shipping cost, the only thing that matters is the net after shipped cost of the product. Call it whatever you want.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Dude, whether you inflate the product price or the shipping cost, the only thing that matters is the net after shipped cost of the product. Call it whatever you want.
    So if you buy 2 from your vendor at an inflated price are you doing better? I don't think so.

We prefer give a good deal and quote actual shipping charges. Most educated buyers who shop online realize what the real shipping charges are whether they are buried in the price or not. We ship every order every day when placed by 3pm and is sent via UPS insured with tracking numbers.

Honesty wins in my book.

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Actually most educated buyers will buy from the least expensive after shipping vendor who has good ratings for customer service and returns. Amazon has has good customer service and frequently the best pricing on the internet. The Polk db1001 tweeters I bought from them at $48 (with free super saver shipping) was selling at $99.95 everywhere else. Now they are back to the $99.95 price like everyone else. DDM Tuning has very high shipping cost but low everyday pricing. IMHO, you appear to have high product pricing and high shipping cost but good customer service.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    $30 is high product pricing???

My Cars
    Mercedes
    Dude, all the other stuff on your website.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    I know you will not find anything on our website cheaper from an authorized dealer. If you do we will gladly match the price.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Those prices are all very reasonable for Hybrid Audio. His Blaupunkt deals are also very competitive.

I had the DIY box and it did everything it was supposed to do.
    Easy to put together and quality construction.
    I replaced it in favor of a fiberglass enclosure for more of an OEM look, but its a good product nonetheless.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Amazon has has good customer service and frequently the best pricing on the internet.
    Amazon doesn't actually sell anything at a decent price... people who advertise on amazon do. And they are not authorized either.

I hate to break it to you, but Tom is the least expensive place to buy HAT or Blaupunkt that I have seen. At least for NEW product and not used or b stock (refurbs)

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Actually, HAT is price protected and is not allowed to be discounted. The sales we have run have been factory authorized. It is actually a great idea becasue you know that you will not find it cheaper elsewhere and you can buy based on service and support.

My Cars
    E30M, E36M
    Great thread - It really brought out the insecure vendors.

That said, I will order one this week since I feel the product suits my needs.

I do not plan on pushing more than 500 watts RMS - which this box will handle efficiently and for over 10 years.

I don't have any interest in fancy fiberglass and "pimp my ride" trunk setups.

I definitely do not want to bring unwanted attention to my vehicle.

I do not want to bump the latest Lil Wayne song with 1500 watts.

I prefer smaller enclosure (ie: 1cu/ft) for sound quality over muddle/sloppy sound.

I want an enclosure that can be easily removed.

I listen to Hip Hop. REAL HIPHOP.

This is a pefect upgrade and surely kicks the hell out of those sub/amp combos on Crutchfield.

My Cars
    N/A
    Well, when we have people who claim to be 'industry experts' with 1 post, then yes, I'd say they are newbies here. Which 12V forum did you post this one, 12voltinsider? I can link this, and 99% of the installs on this site, to a forum where they'll get laughed at and ripped apart all day long, is that supposed to make me as cool as you? More money does NOT equal better.

For the final time. The enclosure is well designed. IF glue is used, I see no difference between this, and any other enclosure, so long as it fits your requirements. Can you build a better enclosure for $30? Somehow, I doubt it. I know I can't, even if you spread out the cost of say, a sheet of MDF, screws, glue, etc.
    Look here another "newbie" making a post. In this current economy everyone wants to save a buck and i get it. But if your looking to save a buck buy a KIA not a BMW. Stop trying to live like a $30,000 dollar millionaire and pay for a quality product that is built and designed for the customers individual needs. Even a $50 pioneer 12" woofer from walmart sounds better in a grade A 3/4" MDF(all the way around, unlike the photo) enclosure than in some premade grade b MDF half 3/4" half 1/2" turd of a enclosure . And for your info, you should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use screws to hold a enclosure together as they split the wood and make it half as strong and more likely to flex. I would LOVE to do a drop test on this enclosure. Lets take a proper enclosure with staples, wood glue and silicone and one of these fine 5 minute enclosures and drop them from a basketball goal and see which one is still together after the impact........ And as all of us 1 post "newbies" know, that if your box flex's when the bass hits the sound becomes muted a bit from cancellation and muddy. I mean have some pride in what you stand behind, isn't that why you are on a BMW forum. I have done many a system in many a BMW's and if you decide to take the cheap route you get a cheap result. Using a premade enclosure is like throwing darts at a dart board! HOW OFTEN DO YOU GET A BULLSEYE? Most of the time you end up with a result that you didn't want. It is our job in the 12v industry to educate the customer on the proper way of getting the desired result. My shop would charge between $75-$100 for a custom built sealed enclosure designed for their vehicle and for their musical taste. That is a fair price @ any respectable shop.

James Duke
    Custom Fabricator and Installer
    M.E.C.P First Class
    Auto Audio-Palm Harbor, Fl
    Last edited by THE DUKE; 05-18-2009 at 12:05 AM.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Hey Duke,

All the fun ended months ago. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers on another site, but please bring only valid points here.

The argument of BMW vs KIA (or other) has been well established it this thread and is pretty pitiful if you ask me.

BTW- this is 3/4 MDF all the way around. As far as the pre-made enclosure comment, the sizes are listed in the beginning of the thread. If your woofer does not match, this is not for you, but I have not found many woofers in these size ranges that will not work within the enclosure volumes.

My Cars
    N/A
    I was unaware that i missed all of the fun. But I hate to see people settle for something with the idea that it will give them the same results for a really cheap price. That does not happen very often. As far as your enclosure not being 3/4", if it is my bad, but the sides look 1/2" in the photo. I just take lots of pride in my work and the skills that I and many others have learned.

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE View Post
    I was unaware that i missed all of the fun. But I hate to see people settle for something with the idea that it will give them the same results for a really cheap price. That does not happen very often. As far as your enclosure not being 3/4", if it is my bad, but the sides look 1/2" in the photo. I just take lots of pride in my work and the skills that I and many others have learned.
    Nope.. 3/4 all the way around. Let me repeat what I have said since the first post here. The joining edges are routered, pre-drilled and have an adhesive layer that bonds when screwed together. The adhesive tape is filled with some strange "glue" that gets released when the parts are screwed together.

I have said from the beginning that this tape can be substituted for wood glue, but I was honestly amazed when I tried to take one apart and it took a prybar and hammer. When it came apart it did not break at the joint, but about 1/2" below it where the glue did not get to.

I hope you see the reply on the other forum.

My Cars
    N/A
    i just did

My Cars
    E30M, E36M
    There are no hidden agendas in this thread...really there are not ...

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE View Post
    But if your looking to save a buck buy a KIA not a BMW.

Ummmm... that is exactly WHY I bought a BMW... to save a buck.

$1200-$6000 vs 9-15k

Much lower cost of ownership than a Kia.
    lower buy in, less loss on residual, lower parts cost, ease of maintenance...

But I digress... have a great night, from another 12v insider.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 11-26-2010 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    11' 135i/ RIP 99 E38
    i went on the link provided. Sold out of the 12" Enclosures?

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Sorry, all sold out of the 12 inchers. Many have made the 10" work if it meets your airspace requirements for the woofer.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast