Thread: Help! Fan won't turn off when engine is off

My Cars
    323i

Help! Fan won't turn off when engine is off

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place. My '99 323i wouldn't start yesterday so I thought it was a dead battery. When I jump started it, the minute we attached the cables the fan came on, before I even put the key in the ignition. So apparently the last time I turned the car off my fan must have stayed on draining the battery.

Is it a sensor that tells the fan to turn off when the car turns off that needs to be replaced? I've also noticed a burning smell sometimes when I drive it. I'm clueless here...

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    You most likely have a sticking relay. The sensor on the radiator cannot fail in a manner which would keep the fan on.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1990 535I
    There's a bunch of wires that go to the fan, just start cutting them till the fan turns off. No more fan when the engine is off.

Ok, fine, not really the best option. Not familliar with the placement of the sensor on the M52, it's either on the rad or in the engine block... Someone's gotta confirm this. Check if there is a sensor on your rad though, that'll be your first hint, the next is it might share the coolant temp sensor for the engine. just a guess.

I just woke up and i'm obviously dumb, The genius on top of me nailed it.
    Last edited by MTLe34; 10-09-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: i'm stupid

Who needs a V8 when you've got the gas mileage and idle of one, without the complicated repairs? M30 FTW!

My Cars
    323i
    Thanks, guys. Right now I'm disconnecting the fan while the car is off until I can get it to a shop.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    does the fan on the e46 not stay on for a while after the engine is shut off? (or is that an e36 you have? 99 is a switchover year so not sure which the 323 was)
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    I may have been sheistered, but when my car was doing this I took it to the mechanic and he said the water pump was bad...? The car had 70K miles on it and I never knew if it had been replaced before so he changed it and that 'fixed' my problem.

My Cars
    323i
    Bad water pump, that's interesting. I'll let you know if they tell me the same thing...

My Cars
    E46, RT, Avalanche
    Not to sound like a d**k, but why create two threads of the exact same topic my friend?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6#post14356106
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.