Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Attention Sportwagon owners: Rear wiper fix!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3

DIY: Attention Sportwagon owners: Rear wiper fix!

This will be my second DIY put together for this Forum. I have noticed there isn't a lot of DIY's for the sportwagon.
    Today I noticed that the rear wiper was moving rather slowly, so thinking something was dragging or the motor was getting burned out, I opened the glass and move the wiper by hand. It was stiff and had alot of resistance through out the full range of motion.

Also if the wiper will not turn, you can try to use a 3-jaw puller or something similar to get the shaft out.

This is about a 2 on a scale of 5. Took me 60 minutes to fix/complete, and add about another 10 minutes to take all the photo's. Also I had to allow it to soak in for 25-30 minutes, so not sure if that should have been added into the total time of 60 minutes.

As for the tool list, nothing special if you ask me:
    1/4 drive ratchet with 10mm and 13mm
    or a 10mm and 13mm wrench
    Small flat tip screwdriver
    Plastic pry tool, you can use the above screwdriver if you don't have one of these.
    1/2 drive breaker bar or rachet w/24mm socket. A bit of overkill for a wrench can work too.
    A 90 degree pick to remove the small rubber O-Ring
    Penetrating oil, Dry lube and Grease.
    Paper towels or rags.

Step 1:
    Remove the Outer black plastic clip using the Plastic pry tool or screwdriver.

When you pry up, there are two small divits on the inside of the cover, you have to pull on the outside to remove it the rest of the way.

Step 2:
    Remove the outer 13mm nut. There is a washer under the nut, don't lose that.

Step 3:
    Remove the Wiper arm, I lifted it up first and wiggled it back an forth to get it loose.

Step 4:
    Remove the 24mm nut. You can use a socket or wrench on this one. Also there is a plastic washer under the nut.

Step 5:
    Remove the small black plastic covers on the inside to reviel the 2 10mm mounting bolts. Theses bolts only hold onto the plastic cover.

And the left side

Then you will see the two 10mm nuts:

Step 6:
    Remove the black plastic cover

Step 7:
    Remove the 10 mm nut on the left side of the rear wiper pivot.

Step 8:
    Pull the wiper arm piviot out and take to your work bench or table. In my case a tool box!

Step 9:
    Remove the small circlip and washer off of the shaft.

Step 10:
    Using the pick, remove the rubber O-Ring

Step 11:
    Allow the penetrating oil to do it's work.

Step 12:
    Push the shaft down and out of the main body. I had to re-attach the wiper arm to be able to get enough leverage to move it and break it loose.

Step 13:
    Clean the shaft and the pivot inside, I used towels, and the penetrating oil to get the big gunk off first. Next I used some fine crocus paper to clean the remaining gunk off.

Clean the washers, and the wave washer off as well as the O-Ring.

Step 14:
    Put the shaft back in to makes sure it slides in easily, and it will turn without and issues.

Step 15:
    Like it says in most books: Installation is in reverse.

A couple of notes on the bolts, they were not very tight, so don't over tighten that 24mm, for I am sure it would crack the back glass.

UPDATE: After 6 months, the dry lube didn't work very well so I had to pull it back out and pack it full of grease.
    Last edited by dworthy; 08-28-2017 at 02:20 AM.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    03 325i Wagon
    Thank you for this DIY! I think my wiper works fine at the moment, but I now know how to disassemble the rear unit.
    Edit Signature

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ignacio View Post
    Thank you for this DIY! I think my wiper works fine at the moment, but I now know how to disassemble the rear unit.
    No problem!

- - - Updated - - -

I had started to notice yesterday that the wiper isn't move as fast as it should so I went back into it. Of course it was dirty, I should have used grease from the start. I cleaned the shaft and the washers, then applied copper anti-seize to the inners and washers. I also noticed as I clean the sleeve, that the brass inside was starting to get pitted. I think that the anti-seize should do the trick this time, now into the rainy season here, will see how long it lasts this time.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW E46 Touring 320d
    A huge thnx for this guide! In my case it was in such a bad shape that I was unable to get out the mechanism in step 8. You can still get the bolt like part out, but takes a bit more effort. Also had to use a hammer to get it out as it was stuck and filled with dust and what not. Also the brass/copper part inside came with the bolt which was proably one of the biggest problems as it wouldn't move at all. Using sandpaper and a metal brush, I was able to clean up the parts and put them back together all oiled up. Rear wiper started working again as well as the pump for the fluids.
    Last edited by zimeon; 04-21-2013 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am glad to help. It seems to be a rather common issue, for I cannot say I have a perfect example of an E-46 touring, but I like to baby it a bit. In order for me to get the shaft loose this time, I just tapped it out with a rubber mallet. Since we are dealing with glass and easily breakable components, I prefer to take my time and use rubber mallets verse normal hammers.

- - - Updated - - -

And in the end I feel that paying 80 bucks would only fix the issue for another 7-8 years.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2000 323I Touring
    Thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time to document it. The problem for me is that my 2000 E-46 323 Touring has a completely different set-up for the motor. It is a much larger unit that is behind a carpeted panel in the tailgate and looks nothing like yours. The outside looks the same however, so maybe the same steps, despite the very different design will help. The local mechanic who deals in mostly European cars and quite a few BMW's also said that the reason my windshield washer stopped working the same time as the motor is because it gets its' power through the same circuit as the motor. Has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking of trying to source a used unit to see if it solves the problem and would be greatly appreciative for any advice. I just joined this forum even though I have driven BMW's for many years and have several old bikes ranging from a 62 to a 70. Just wanted to introduce my self and look forward to the shared experiences. Tom McGuire

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You should have the exact same set-up, there is no difference between the two cars when it comes to the tailgate and wiper motor. As a matter of a fact, it is the same with all wagons, not just the U.S. Version. What you describe sound like it is an E-39, and you appear not to have one in your signature. If you open the glass and see the round slot next to the glass lock your is exactly the same, trust me on that.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I just wanted to update this thread, 9 months and still no issues after I used a different type of lubrication. If I have issues after this winter, I will replace the rubber O-rings from a kit I purchased this summer.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2006 E91 2.0D SE
    Great post, DWorthy. Much appreciated
    Just carried out the fix today, in about an hour, thanks to your step by step guide.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Glad to help, it has been about a year now, no issues as to date so I figure that using the copper anti-seize is the correct compound to use for lubrication.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318 touring
    hi there i have tried to remove the pivot but it seems to be pretty stuck in there i have removed everything but it wont budge i dont want to the shaft with a hammer as i dont want to break the glass is there any pointers please

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Rubber mallet helps to knock it loose. You will have to tap on it a couple of times, but I didn't have any problems getting it out of the glass, just the shaft out of the housing.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318 touring
    its still stuck lol i tried to use a srcewdriver above the catch part and now snapped the thing in half and its starting to get a bit frustrating now lol ive hit it quite a few times now is there any hidden c clips or anything i should know about

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Try to put the wiper arm back on to see if you can get it to move around. You will need the extra leverage to get that thing to turn. If it doesn't bulge after that, then it maybe seized and you will need to buy a new one.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325xi
    Thanks, dworthy, for posting this awesome diy! That also worked fine for my '06 e91. My problem was that I could not pull the full body out of the glass, so I had to accurately hammer the shaft out.

My Cars
    06 BMW 325xi Wagon 6spd
    Great thread!

I just repaired my (new to me) 2006 325xit!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am going on 18 months now, and no issues, just wanted to update this thread.

I noticed that the E-91's use the style of rear wiper, so it should work for them as well.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Lotus, Nissan
    Thanks for these brilliant instructions... Mine was completely seized but fixed it this afternoon... I also replaced the rear glass open switch at the same time... It was knackered and I couldn't open the glass.... Made this fix interesting as I had to get the glass open first.

i started by trying to get into the back and dismantle the tailgate trims... Spent ages and got lots of bits off but dropped screws and could easily have broke the trim.. Ultimately it wasn't required as the rear glass could be opened by dismantling the wiper blade from outside as per instructions here and then stripping the insulation on the switch wiring which you expose after taking wiper and switch off... Short the two wires together - with tailgate closed (won't work if it's open, must be a safety interlock) - and mines popped open....

ended up up having to take the tailgate trim off to retrieve screws and refit the tailgate catch - all a result of the initial negatory dismantling....

My Cars
    2011 320d
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    This will be my second DIY put together for this Forum. I have noticed there isn't alot of DIY's for the sportwagon.
    Today I noticed that the rear wiper was moving rather slowly, so thinking something was draging or the motor was getting burned out, I opened the glass and move the wiper by hand. It was stiff and had alot of resistance through out the full range of motion.
    This is about a 2 on a scale of 5. Took me 60 minutes to fix/complete, and add about another 10 minutes to take all the photo's. Also I had to allow it to soak in for 25-30 minutes, so not sure if that should have been added into the total time of 60 minutes.

As for the tool list, nothing special if you ask me:
    1/4 drive rachet with 10mm and 13mm
    or a 10mm and 13mm wrench
    Small flat tip screwdriver
    Plastic pry tool, you can use the above screwdriver if you don't have one of these.
    1/2 drive breaker bar or rachet w/24mm socket. A bit of overkill for a wrench can work too.
    A 90 degree pick to remove the small rubber O-Ring
    Penetrating oil and Dry lube.
    Paper towels or rags.

Step 1:
    Remove the Outer black plastic clip using the Plastic pry tool or screwdriver.

When you pry up, there are two small divits on the inside of the cover, you have to pull on the outside to remove it the rest of the way.

Step 2:
    Remove the outer 13mm nut. There is a washer under the nut, don't lose that.

Step 3:
    Remove the Wiper arm, I lifted it up first and wiggled it back an forth to get it loose.

Step 4:
    Remove the 24mm nut. You can use a socket or wrench on this one. Also there is a plastic washer under the nut.

Step 5:
    Remove the small black plastic covers on the inside to reviel the 2 10mm mounting bolts. Theses bolts only hold onto the plastic cover.

And the left side

Then you will see the two 10mm nuts:

Step 6:
    Remove the black plastic cover

Step 7:
    Remove the 10 mm nut on the left side of the rear wiper piviot.

Step 8:
    Pull the wiper arm piviot out and take to your work bench or table. In my case a tool box!

Step 9:
    Remove the small circlip and washer off of the shaft.

Step 10:
    Using the pick, remove the rubber O-Ring

Step 11:
    Allow the penetrating oil to do it's work.

Step 12:
    Push the shaft down and out of the main body. I had to re-attach the wiper arm to be able to get enough leverage to move it and break it loose.

Step 13:
    Clean the shaft and the piviot inside, I used towels, and the penetrating oil to get the big gunk off first. Next I used some fine crocus paper to clean the remaining gunk off.

Clean the washers, and the wave washer off as well as the O-Ring.

Step 14:
    Put the shaft back in to makes sure it slides in easily, and it will turn without and issues.

Step 15:
    Like it says in most books: Installiation is in reverse.

A couple of notes on the bolts, they were not very tight, so don't over tighten that 24mm, for I am sure it would crack the back glass.
    .................................................. .......................................

Hi All

I have followed this excellent method of rear wiper repair on my E91 2011 however the wiper will not work....But after looking at your photos I seem to have found the problem.....the shaft on my glass window is not long enough to fit in the drive unit.....have I misplaced a piece or will the shaft pull out longer?.....any advice gratefully recieved.....Brian

DSCF8733.jpgDSCF8732.jpg

My Cars
    2011 320d
    Hi All

I have followed this excellent procedure but wiper will still not working.....is the shaft in the photo not protruding enough or have I lost a piece?

DSCF8733.jpg

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I think that the knob is stuck, see if you can grab it with a pair of needle nose pliars and pull it back out. There is suppose to be a spring in there so if the wiper is at an odd angle, and you close the glass, it doesn't mess it up.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 545i touring
    Fantastic thanks, my E61 now has a working wiper again after perhaps an hours work. It has obviously been apart before as some bits were missing like a plastic washer and the covers to the plastic trim. A couple of pounds at most

The dealer quoted over £200 to fit a replacement part. They are not repairable I was told.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I was told the same, but hey they say that so you buy the whole complete part. It is good to see this can help on the 5-series wagons too, and that will add to the thread up top.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    07 320D M Sport Touring
    Fantastic DIY, one of the very best on any forum thanks. I've used it twice now as I forget the process after a year and when I come to reassemble I always forget where all those washers go! I used grease to lubricate the wiper shaft inside the tube but, after a winter, it turned to glue and the wiper seized and I had to drive the shaft out with a hammer (carefully). As the tube inside looks like a copper bearing and the shaft has no corrosion I am assembling with just WD40 and if it dries out I can take it apart easily and lube it again with some special PTFE type light lube. I think I used copper grease which may have reacted and hardened so, as the tube liner looks like a bearing, I am leaving it dry. Thanks again.

My Cars
    01 325xiT,03 M3C,81 320
    Nice DIY! Helped me get my rear wiper working again. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the wiper mechanism off of the rear windshield. However, undoing the nuts that hold the shaft I was able to get the shaft part away from the mechanism. I think the threaded 24 mm nut shaft was fused to the metal ring around the handle. That's OK because I was able to get the shaft out, clean it up, grease it, and put everything back together. I've never seen the wiper move so quickly. Before doing so, I couldn't even turn it by hand. I'm not sure how it worked as long as it did. I'm lucky I didn't burn the motor out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast