Thread: My experience at United BMW...

This is the e-mail back and forth to United BMW about my recent trip. I just wanted to vent:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your recent visit to our service department here at United BMW. I welcome your feedback to three questions:

1.Would you describe the process of making an appointment as Excellent? If not, what could we do differently to improve the process?

2.Would you describe your overall experience as excellent?

3.What could United BMW do differently the next time you visit to makeyour experience even better?

Your feedback is important and greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tom Olney
    President and General Manager
    United BMW
    Direct 770.622.8262

To: "Olney,Tom" <tolney@unitedauto.com>
    cc:
    Subject: Re: Your recent visit to United BMW-Andrew RO#105153/Carlos

Tom,

1. The process of making the appointment was good (excellent would indicate that I could get my car in when it was convenient to me, not when your next available appointment is).

2. NO! I had my car in on March 1st for an Insp I, and several other issues with my car, one of which was a vibration at speeds over 70 mph. After several phone calls to my service advisor (Rob Christian) and to Dan Lyon, in attempts to resolve the vibration, I called in on the 5th and was ensured by the receptionist that my car was complete. Unfortunately, neither Dan nor myself had a chance to drive the car at speeds over 70 mph due to Monday morning traffic conditions. When I finally got free of 85 traffic the vibration was worse than it was before I brought it in! I had to turn around and come out again on the 5th! It took another 5 days to replace the 2 front tires (which, by the way, I purchased at United approx. 3K miles ago, in a trip where I spent over $5000 in parts and service). When I took delivery of my car on the 9th it was out of gas and had had coffee split all over my center console! Hopefully, this chain of events will explain my displeasure with United BMW Service.

3. Nothing, I won't be back! Additionally, I will not purchase my next BMW from United (as I had planned on doing, up to this service appointment).

Regretfully,
    Andrew

p.s. Dan Lyon should be commended for the manner in which he dealt with me. He was the only positive in an otherwise disappointing turn of events.

Maybe I should get a Porsche for my next car

My Cars
    2000 750il
    Way to give it to them. Hopefully your relpy will warrant some changes in their methods of operation.

But i doubt it.

$tealers bite the big one

Originally posted by Jon Caldito
    Andrew,

Sorry to hear about your experience at United. What year/color M3 did you have anyway? I was working near the tire balancing machine and one guy was doing a road force balance on motorsport rims with Michelin Sport Pilots and I heard that it turned out to be bad tires. I am unsure if it was your vehicle or not. Do you have the number of the technician that worked on it on your paper work?

I know you won't be coming back to United but if you do, don't ask for Rob. He's lazy. I'm in Ed Barnes team. Maybe Tom or Harald will get your response and do something about it. If I see your vehicle in again, I'll throw in a surprise for you as well. Just don't mention my name to my boss.

Is #105153 your repair order? If I have time tomorrow, I'll check out whats been going on. And let you know via email.

Again, sorry for the horrible experience you recieved at the Service Dept.
    Jon,

105153 is me. Pull up all the history of my vehichle that you have in your system and you'll see why I'm frustrated. You've got my work number in your system. Call me if you want to talk/take this off-line.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew, awesome response to an unfortuante situation. What seems to be even more unfortunate, is that this lack of response to correct a customer's problem appears to be more of the norm rather than the exception in the industry.

Please keep us posted on what type of resolve, if any, the dealership offers to you. As I have posted previously, it seems the only thing we can do as consumers is to cease spending our money at these dealerships and notify everyone we can about the misfortune the dealerships as caused themselves.

And I have a question for John Caldito. I understand that you only work in the service department at United BMW, but can you shed any light on whether Andrew's response has any effect on the dealership ? Will the owners actually do anything ? Will the owners even be notified internally within the business of the customer's problems ?

You see, ChrisFL's response of "I doubt it" just further exemplifies the common perception I was stating above, that this piss poor service appears to be more of the norm rather than the exception.

Currently, I am in the market for an '01 330xi in the North Florida/South Georgia area. This type on information from customer's like Andrew make me hesitant to ever want to conduct business with United BMW.

Angry This was the first response I got from my e-mail to the GM.

F$%CKING FIGURES!!!!!

Out of Office AutoReply: Your recent visit to United BMW-Andrew RO#105153 /Carlos

I am out of the office at a training seminar from Tuesday March 13th through Thursday March 15th and will return emails on Friday March 16th.