Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Locked my keys in my trunk. a post said they knew how to get in....

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

HELP!! Locked my keys in my trunk. a post said they knew how to get in....

But they didn't want to explain unless you pm them. Does anyone know how to get to the emergency trunk release in the trunk? 03 Z4. He said he reached it through a 3"x6" opening, but I don't see one. Perhaps he had his interior partially taken out.

My Cars
    08 Z4 3.0si; 05 Mini S; 07 GTI; 02 Saab SE vert
    It sounds like you have access to the interior. Doesn't the button inside the car work?
    Last edited by Fahrvergnugen; 10-04-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    08 Z4 3.0si PCD 5/9/08, Sport, Prem, Sat, Xenon, Heated seats, Homelink Mirror, ZHP shift knob

07 GTI 4-dr DSG, 05 Mini S, 02 Saab 9-3 SE vert

My Cars
    2009 Z430i, 2000 540i6
    If the car is locked by the remote, the interior button to unlock the car is deactivated in case the top is down so nobody passing by can just reach in and unlock the car.

OP, I don't know what to tell you other than you may have to make an expensive stop at a BMW dealer unless you have your spare key somewhere..... :shrug:

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    When I was installing Sirius in my 03, I had trouble finding all the cables etc. and basically, found every nook and cranny. The 3" x 6" opening he mentions is in back of the storage box between the seats. To access it from the cabin you need to remove the trim on the interior. It is a big deal if you are only semi mechanical as I am. The only easy way that I can think of (and I can't remember if there was access to the trunk or not), would be to pop one of the speaker grilles behind the seats, and remove the speaker.. very easy, 4 screws, and hopefully you will have access. if not go to dealer.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper
    Yeah the post said 1.5 hrs i think to get it done. That is probably for someone who knows more what they are doing. I am semi mechanical and don't mind the time since the dealer isn't open till monday. How much do you think they charge to pop their obd tool in it to open it? How much and how quick to get a spare key? Can a spare be sent to me?

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

thanx for the info

Quote Originally Posted by capecod View Post
    When I was installing Sirius in my 03, I had trouble finding all the cables etc. and basically, found every nook and cranny. The 3" x 6" opening he mentions is in back of the storage box between the seats. To access it from the cabin you need to remove the trim on the interior. It is a big deal if you are only semi mechanical as I am. The only easy way that I can think of (and I can't remember if there was access to the trunk or not), would be to pop one of the speaker grilles behind the seats, and remove the speaker.. very easy, 4 screws, and hopefully you will have access. if not go to dealer.
    Is there any step by step instructions or pictures of removing the trim? I don't see the back of the speakers from the trunk so I assume removing one won't give me that access I need.

My Cars
    Z4///M, G35c 6MT
    Removing the speaker covers won't help. The only way I think you can gain access to the trunk is to separate the cloth part of the soft-top compartment on the back end from the plastic compartment floor. It won't be easy doing it from the interior, but it can be done. And even after you take out that trim, it won't be easy to reach the emergency trunk handle.

Separate #2 from #1.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=54&fg=10

If I were you, I'd just order a new key from the dealer. That'll probably be less hassle than trying to gain access to the trunk yourself. Besides, if it ever happens again you'll have a spare key.
    '06 BMW Z4///M 19" BBS RGR's|TCK DA coilovers 400F/500R|Eisenmann Sport|Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's|M side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
    '05 G35 coupe 6MT
    '04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
    '03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    I'm pretty sure road assist can unlock your car remotely. I've never tried it with bmw but acura and mercedes both can. May be worth looking into.

My Cars
    2009 Z430i, 2000 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmeba View Post
    I'm pretty sure road assist can unlock your car remotely. I've never tried it with bmw but acura and mercedes both can. May be worth looking into.

Unfortunately not. BMW only added that feature for some cars for 2007-on. Best bet really is the dealer, and you would have to be at the dealership with proof of ownership (drivers license and registration) before they could make you a key, and it would probably take a couple days to get it to you.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
    Removing the speaker covers won't help. The only way I think you can gain access to the trunk is to separate the cloth part of the soft-top compartment on the back end from the plastic compartment floor. It won't be easy doing it from the interior, but it can be done. And even after you take out that trim, it won't be easy to reach the emergency trunk handle.

Separate #2 from #1.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=54&fg=10

If I were you, I'd just order a new key from the dealer. That'll probably be less hassle than trying to gain access to the trunk yourself. Besides, if it ever happens again you'll have a spare key.
    Yeah I did exactly what you said. A nice guy who posted something called me from Pennsylvania told me just the same thing. I fashioned a hook out of a plastic hanger, used a flashlight and my camera phone to see and it worked really easily. So if anyone has the same problem it is really easy. The tricky part is seeing the handle but the phone solved that problem. How much is a spare key?

My Cars
    2009 Z430i, 2000 540i6
    Congrats on getting it to work!

A spare master key is about $150, but I would suggest getting a wallet key for a third of that price. Fits in your wallet and can open the doors or trunk if it happens again.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrimerman View Post
    Is there any step by step instructions or pictures of removing the trim? I don't see the back of the speakers from the trunk so I assume removing one won't give me that access I need.
    removing the trim wasn't very difficult. in order to do the wood -> alum trim swap, i had to remove not only the trim piece surrounding the shifter but also the rear console. unclip the top plastic piece and you'll see two torx/hex (don't recall), but loosen those. then open the compartment door and under the hinge, you'll see a plastic trim piece that also covers 2 screws. unscrew those. then the whole plastic shelf is secured by clips which you can remove by pulling.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

i wonder

Quote Originally Posted by StickshiftFreak View Post
    Congrats on getting it to work!

A spare master key is about $150, but I would suggest getting a wallet key for a third of that price. Fits in your wallet and can open the doors or trunk if it happens again.
    I wonder if AAA can do the wallet key. They did it for free for me a long time ago, but that was a really simple key for 240z.

My Cars
    06 M roadster
    Yeah I did exactly what you said. A nice guy who posted something called me from Pennsylvania told me just the same thing. I fashioned a hook out of a plastic hanger, used a flashlight and my camera phone to see and it worked really easily. So if anyone has the same problem it is really easy. The tricky part is seeing the handle but the phone solved that problem. How much is a spare key?
    yeah I had the same problem, but it was 20 degrees outside, and my trunk was full of groceries. I had to pull out ALL of my groceries through that little hole, and then I spent 30 minutes feeling around for the key. THEN I realised there's a release handle. hahahaha. (btw my trunk opening button was removed at the time)

My Cars
    2009 Z430i, 2000 540i6
    I wonder if AAA can do the wallet key. They did it for free for me a long time ago, but that was a really simple key for 240z.
    I don't think so.....Since it's a laser-cut key, I think the only way to get one is BMW.

My Cars
    Z4///M, G35c 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by StickshiftFreak View Post
    I don't think so.....Since it's a laser-cut key, I think the only way to get one is BMW.
    BMW keys are not laser cut. You can buy a blank key on ebay and there are lots of places that can cut BMW keys if they have the right machine, and then get the key programmed. Do a seach on m3forum.net (check the E46 m3 forum). There's a member on there who's a locksmith and he's cut keys for a lot of M3 owners. Z4 keys work the same way.
    '06 BMW Z4///M 19" BBS RGR's|TCK DA coilovers 400F/500R|Eisenmann Sport|Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's|M side-skirts|ZHP gear-knob|OEM STB|
    '05 G35 coupe 6MT
    '04 BMW Z4 3.0i 6sp SMG (lemon)
    '03 BMW Z4 2.5i non-sport (sold)

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper
    I called AAA they said no, so that's that. I call a dealer and it is $70 for a wallet key and $210 for a real key. I will check ebay to see. I wonder if there is any locksmiths that will cut the key and for how much. Thanks Roffle so much. I was stressing big time since I was going to be without transportation and when you don't really know too many people here it makes it that much harder.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

wow

I just saw my exactly key for $13 on ebay. $20 with shipping. Now just need to find someone to cut it.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper
    The blank one has the buttons so could I program the buttons myself? When I purchased my car I had to program the key because it wasn't the original one. So I am thinking maybe I can put my key in the ignition and then hold the correct buttons down to program the blank one. I would have it cut , but was just curious if that was possible.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    BMW keys ARE laser cut, from BMW, to match your car. Yes, you can get a blank and if someone has the right equipment they can cut it to work, but its a bit of a hack job.

Sorry to hear your dealer is a ripoff for the keys. I got a full, working spare key from my dealer for $75 (had to order it, cut to my car) and they are usually not the cheapest. $210 sounds outrageous.

My Cars
    Z4, Mini Cooper

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    BMW keys ARE laser cut, from BMW, to match your car. Yes, you can get a blank and if someone has the right equipment they can cut it to work, but its a bit of a hack job.

Sorry to hear your dealer is a ripoff for the keys. I got a full, working spare key from my dealer for $75 (had to order it, cut to my car) and they are usually not the cheapest. $210 sounds outrageous.
    Can I order from your dealer or do I need to be there in person?

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    the easiest to acces the truck is by removing the rear bumper and going thru the vent on the pass side. takes about 20 minutes to do this. once removal of vent you can reach the safety release in the trunk.

no telling how much money i have made by doing this. real easy and can be done anywhere.

My Cars
    BMW Z4 E85
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    the easiest to acces the truck is by removing the rear bumper and going thru the vent on the pass side. takes about 20 minutes to do this. once removal of vent you can reach the safety release in the trunk.

no telling how much money i have made by doing this. real easy and can be done anywhere.
    I would like to verify that this method works, so other users can benefit from it!
    The bumper removal was straightforward, remove 3 pins from right and left rear wheels' inner side that hold the bumper with a bent nose plier, remove five 8mm bolts from underneath the bumper, and pull hard to remove the bumper.

Then remove the vent from the passenger's side, bent the carpet a bit so your hand can reach in the trunk, and reach the safety pull.

In my case , the safety pull wasn't there (!) , but I was able to reach for the key itself, inside the trunk!

Thank you big time, took me about 15 minutes!

My Cars
    2004 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by limneos View Post
    I would like to verify that this method works, so other users can benefit from it!
    The bumper removal was straightforward, remove 3 pins from right and left rear wheels' inner side that hold the bumper with a bent nose plier, remove five 8mm bolts from underneath the bumper, and pull hard to remove the bumper.

Then remove the vent from the passenger's side, bent the carpet a bit so your hand can reach in the trunk, and reach the safety pull.

In my case , the safety pull wasn't there (!) , but I was able to reach for the key itself, inside the trunk!

Thank you big time, took me about 15 minutes!
    3 years later.. just wanted to say thanks! Saved me a lot of trouble. Was pretty easy taking the bumper off and taking that vent out but I had to use a knife to cut through my carpet as there wasn't really any way to go around it. The hardest part was putting it back on since I couldn't get those little clips back in.

My Cars
    E30 M3 Touring Car #10
    I keep the plastic mini valet/wallet key zip tied to the rear sway bar for just this situation. the one time you need to get in, it will be hidden there for you.
    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion, 2011 and 2013 SCCA National Championship Runoffs 3rd Place, STU, 2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year, 2012 SCCA Northeast Division STU Champion, 2015 SCCA Runoffs Pole Position Daytona/STU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast