Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor man's alignment DIY

My Cars
    Dog Mover
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    lol, who told you to do that? I made friends with the alignment guy at kauffman tire so when i need it done again from adjusting the height or what ever he slips it in under warranty
    some dumb blonde
    Things you might like to buy:
    Lots of Z3 stuff!

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mz.368 View Post
    some dumb blonde
    if she's hot, then $200 wasnt so bad

My Cars
    2017 M2, Blown MCoupe,
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian G. View Post
    The main thing to understand about this design is what happens to camber and toe settings as the semi-trailing arm moves through its travel. The rear wheel on a semi-trailing arm suspension gains negative camber as the suspension compresses. Also the rear suspension gains toe-in as it compresses past the horizontal position of the trailing arms. The gain in camber and toe-in actually is beneficial during cornering while power is being applied.

http://www.zvolution.com/Z3Faq/suspe...suspension.htm

Essentially, as the semitrailing arm is compressed, camber becomes more negative and toe moves in (good for accelleration and hard cornering). Badness happens when the rear end is unloaded (braking, decelleration, throttle-off), and camber becomes more positive and toe moves out. This creates a very unstable rear end - often described as being "a hand-full" or "unstable" with wild oversteer.

http://wiederhold-rd.com/suspensionrear.html

Sorry just a type-o.....thanks!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    ..... dont get me wrong i know why you did it, because obviously 1mm off is better then 13mm off by anyones standard. but even still there is no substitute for a proper alignment (which you should include in your original post so people dont get the wrong idea) ....

Right, because it's his job to protect everyone from themselves....

And to the OP.... you're tripping over dollars to pick up dimes.... driving 6000 miles on $200 tires to save $70 on an alignment???
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    P.S. Very cool write-up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Dog Mover
    if she's hot, then $200 wasnt so bad
    I think so
    Things you might like to buy:
    Lots of Z3 stuff!

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    I'd love to have been able to afford a $70 alignment, that was when I was getting new rear tires, and at the time was most of the money I had to my name. Buying a car like this when you're 19 and don't have a good job is not a good idea.

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Right, because it's his job to protect everyone from themselves....

And to the OP.... you're tripping over dollars to pick up dimes.... driving 6000 miles on $200 tires to save $70 on an alignment???
    nop, not his job. but just like your last comment says $70 bucks is dimes compared to tires. I would hate to think that someone would do a home alignment with garden string and wonder why their tires are shot or why there are acted up around a corner causing them to loose control and hit a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by mz.368 View Post
    I think so
    very nice, totally worth it then.

Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post
    I'd love to have been able to afford a $70 alignment, that was when I was getting new rear tires, and at the time was most of the money I had to my name. Buying a car like this when you're 19 and don't have a good job is not a good idea.
    i hear ya dood, im not much better off then you. bought my car @ 21 making 2,000 take home a month. sigh, monthly payments are $500 but there is only two more years to go then she is mine all mine!

My Cars
    z06vette
    I'm late to the DIY alignment discussion, but can someone tell me how to convert the toe-in/out measurement each side using the ruler per Pancake's setup to actual "Degrees" that alignment specs are listed in? Sorry for such a noob question.

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    You can use the total difference between the measurement in the front and rear of the rim, measure the total diameter of the rim (roadstar I just measured was 18.5") to form a triangle and use some trig to figure it out.

Also, I did another alignment recently using the same method and absolutely no problems, and took me 20-30 mins. Using a thinner string like fishing line makes it more accurate

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    2002 S54 M Coupe
    I had my alignment done a couple of days ago and sat in the *driver's* seat, because that seems to be the way the car is driven, mostly!

The steering had been off center. Also the factory toe seemed ridiculously large - something like 1.2mm (I think about 0.05 inches). The previous time I took it down to 0.6mm total. This time I took it down to 0.2mm total, and I am way happier. Each drop in toe has made the car so much more responsive, with better steering feel. I haven't noticed much increase in tramlining, although the tyres are starting to wear down and are quite a bit better than when new.

AC Schnitzer short shifter, suspension, rims & exhaust. VAC rod bearings. RE RSMs. Powerflex subframe bushings. Randy Forbes subframe kit, dual ear diff mount.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I used the OP's method for years on my F250. The front axle was a closed knuckle type and the only way for the camber to go out was if you physically bent the axle. And if you did happen to bend the axle you needed to use shims to get it right again. So, I aligned the truck once this way, and it never changed for 6 years. lol

Now I'm doing this method on my wife's Amanti which is her DD like every 3 months. Soon I'll have to replace front end parts because it's all a little light-duty and gives in easily to NJ roads..

My Cars
    99 z3 2.3, 85 500SEC
    i would like to give this a try, but i dont know haha. im going to have it checked, its driving and riding fine, but i (like and idiot) went off the shoulder of the road the other day and hit a hole so hard it knocked my rear view down where i was looking at my sub.
    unfortunatly my alignment is 2k miles out of warranty
    Jonathan Green

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    I'm a technician at a local Tires Plus store. I think they have stores nationwide under the names hibdons or tires plus or morgan tires. We do alignment checks for free and will give a printout if asked. The proper setup for alignment of Zs calls for 150 lbs in each seat and fifty pounds in the trunk plus a full tank of gas. (seriously) If you do buy the alignment it is gauranteed for 1 year or 12K miles. Then you can get a check/adjustment whenever you want/need. Not a bad deal for $65+ tax. also free flat fixes and brake inspections.....
    Last edited by Raggadiman; 07-25-2009 at 08:47 PM.

1997,,1.9L,,18" TSWs,,Alpine/Infinity/Polk sound,,Fogged airbox,,Magnaflow 14815,,Slotsanvents rotors,,Dark sunglasses,,Big smile

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    does the z3 have the driver side front wheel set back slightly further than the right? I know Hyundai's are now doing it for road crown compensation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12