Thread: Can a bad clutch cause power loss??

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe

Can a bad clutch cause power loss??

My buddy drives an e36 318i, but before we start cracking 318 jokes try and hear out this whole scenario.

So his car seems a bit slower than it should, I used to drive basically the exact same car (both manuals), and really don't recall my 318 being that slow. At the same time it is hard to know whether I have just become so accustomed to the increased power in my 330, which would make the 318 seem slower.

Anyway, I really think his is slower than it should be. I know he needs some clutch work. I can't remember if it was a clutch bearing or disk or what, I don't know much about clutches, but just the slightest press on the clutch pedal yields an awful noise.

Long question short, could this faulty clutch be robbing some of the power from getting to the rear wheels?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by cemimms; 09-29-2008 at 04:21 PM.

My Cars
    95 325i CL500
    I would say yes... if the clutch is slipping even slightly that would certainly rob the car of power to the road. do you notice the rpm increase but there's isn't any accelleration?

My Cars
    I haz Techno E36
    definately a yes...you will lose power...just like said above..youll notice an rpm increase but no pull....
    I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
    Every day above ground is a good day.

Need a good mechanic? Look no further!
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1352434

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3maker View Post
    definately a yes...you will lose power...just like said above..youll notice an rpm increase but no pull....
    that sounds about right, i remember my old 318 being slow but still had a bit of pull, but his seems to not pull at all throughout the RPM range

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    If there are no problems with the car except it's just slow, i doubt it's your clutch. If it's slipping enough to slow the car down that much, you should notice the slippage and/or smell it......
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    yeah you would smell that and feel it, when it slips the RPM's will climb fast, but the car wont, you'll know it for sure

pretty sure a noisy throw out bearing wont affect clutch grip

you probably forgot how slow 318's are

My Cars
    IS250 & SC'd E46 M3
    318s slow? Blasphemy.

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe
    yea the clutch isn't slipping, so i'm not sure, i wish i had my old 318i back for a day just use as a reference....

My Cars
    1997 328i
    is the noise you here when you put the clutch in almost like a whine?
    You dont like norcal?
    hater

My Cars
    M3, 911, NSX, DC5, AE86
    Wow are you guys serious?

You aren't going to lose power from a slipping clutch, you're not going to be able to put your power down. You'll know a slipping clutch from a loss of power since your revs will rise but the car won't move while you are engaging the clutch, that is not a loss of power since your power is still there.
    Last edited by Red Ribbon Army; 09-29-2008 at 10:30 PM.

My Cars
    1991 318iS,Lamborfeeties
    Quote Originally Posted by cemimms View Post
    that sounds about right, i remember my old 318 being slow but still had a bit of pull, but his seems to not pull at all throughout the RPM range
    +1 check the fuel and air filters. General tuneups are nice too.

My Cars
    2003 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by genocide98 View Post
    +1 check the fuel and air filters. General tuneups are nice too.

yea i thought fuel filter or some part of the fuel delivery system right off the bat, the clutch obviously has some problems of it's own though.....

My Cars
    1997 328i
    if the clutch is making a whining noise that mean its on its way out
    You dont like norcal?
    hater

My Cars
    1991 318iS,Lamborfeeties
    Quote Originally Posted by cemimms View Post
    yea i thought fuel filter or some part of the fuel delivery system right off the bat, the clutch obviously has some problems of it's own though.....
    As RedRibbon said.. the clutch wont be a power issue really. If your clutch is on its way out your car would rev but not go anywhere, not just simply not rev quickly or have less power.

If it makes a whine when you engage the clutch it's probably the pilot bearing/bushing (whichever is in the car.) It's located in the end of the crankshaft and can only be accessed with the tranny removed and the bearing pulled out with a puller of some kind. The bearings are cheap.. I paid like $5 for mine at my local discount auto parts store. I replaced mine w/ the motor out so I didn't have to go thru the trouble of pulling the tranny etc.

Here's a quick rundown of some clutch noises and commonly associated problems.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf40459.htm

CLUTCH NOISE Clutch noise is another problem that may be tricky to pinpoint. If a squealing or chirping noise appears or goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, the cause may be a bad release bearing. Other causes include a bad pilot bushing, a worn or defective input shaft bearing in the transmission, a worn, bent or improperly lubricated release fork, a worn input shaft, improper disc installation, misalignment, damaged bearing retainer, loose flywheel bolts, damaged disc splines, or worn stop pins or broken damper. A growling or grinding noise when the clutch is engaged may be due to a bad transmission input shaft bearing. A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing. A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing. If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise.

EDIT: Just to re-iterate unless the clutch is pretty much completely slipping there wont be any real power loss. If the clutch IS slipping, regardless of the reason be it misadjustment, misalignment, or just worn completely.. It will heat up and you WILL be able to smell it. Usually quickly. If the car has been that way.. that 'slow' for a long period of time I highly doubt the clutch is the culprit. They usually go out fast once they go.
    Last edited by genocide98; 09-29-2008 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ribbon Army View Post
    Wow are you guys serious?

You aren't going to lose power from a slipping clutch, you're not going to be able to put your power down. You'll know a slipping clutch from a loss of power since your revs will rise but the car won't move while you are engaging the clutch, that is not a loss of power since your power is still there.
    TO PLAY DEVIL'S ADVOCATE.....

POWER NOT MAKING IT TO THE GROUND IS IN FACT POWER LOSS.

JUST BECAUSE THE MOTOR IS NOT LOOSING POWER DOES NOT MEAN IT'S MAKING IT TO THE GROUND......

WHILE I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT... IT'S NOT A GOOD ONE....

LOL
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    is your capslock stuck?

Nice signature btw

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    Quote Originally Posted by megadeth View Post
    is your capslock stuck?

Nice signature btw
    1. Yes

2. Thanks