Thread: Parting out 1982 BMW 320i, California

My Cars
    91 525i

Parting out 1982 BMW 320i, California

im parting out or selling whole this 1982 bmw 320i. The state of california will give me 750 for this car and possibily 1000 if it meets requirements, i have not had a chance to look into it yet as I just got the car an hour ago. but at this time I am willing to sell little stuff off it that will not effect me getting my money from the state for it... or someone can buy it whole for 750 and save it from getting parted out. i would also be willing to sell&trade for you for your bad parts if you are local. i also may just part the whole car. im really not sure yet but if you see something you need send me a email at calioak510@aol.com . the car has 205K on it. 5spd. clean title. it runs and drives good but it has a cracked head. it leaks water but not mixing with oil , just leaking water. if you add water everytime before you go somewhere you can still drive it around fine. it is raggedy though and would probably better for parts. it has some rust and dents around it but it could be a good project car if that is what you desire. email me if you see something you need or are interested in the car. thanks. calioak510@aol.com

Last edited by bmw525i91; 09-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    81 320is
    looks like a great parts car. Wish i needed something...haha..

81 320is, Stock m10, CAI, TEP headers, 'high performance' wires, ST lowering springs (1.5''), Billie sports, Front and rear stress bars, Alpina bar, Poly bushings

I'm always changing it, it needs endless money, and i love it with all my heart. This is my baby.

My Cars
    '02 X5, 86 325es, 88
    What an unusual color. I can see it all done, really a nice project. What do you mean about Cali buying the car? How does that work? I never heard of someone selling their car to the state. What will they do with it?
    PM sent on parts request.

If you are going to do something, do it well.
    And leave something witchy.

My Cars
    91 525i
    There are a couple different programs in CA. that buy cars. Mainly they are trying to get the 70's 80's polluters off the road. One program will offer 750 for 87 and older but it has to meet certain requirements like be free of lein sales, it has to be able to run and drive at least 50 feet in forward and reverse, it has to be registered for the last couple years, stuff like that... there is another program that will give 1000 ... i am not too clear on the details yet i am going to talk to my friend who owns a smog shop and see exactly what i can get but i think at least 750...

My Cars
    '02 X5, 86 325es, 88
    Wow, it sounds like they want to get old cars off the road and into junkyards. I hope you don't sell that old Merc Cougar in the pics to Cali too. I havent seen one of those in awhile. Is that a 302, 390, or one of those eliminator 428s?

My Cars
    91 525i
    haha no the merc is going on ebay eventually. its a 68. 302. very clean car original black plates. im just fixing little stuff on it right now. i just had a 70 xr7 with a 351 and the eliminator spoiler/hood.

My Cars
    '02 X5, 86 325es, 88
    I always liked the cougar better than the mustang. At least the 60s Cougars. Those sequential turn signals were cool. The interiors were nice too. All round nice car. My only complaint is that 99 percent of them were autos. But I suppose thats easily changed. What do you expect she'll bring? I saw one at Memory Lane in Sun Valley a few years ago but I dont remember what they wanted. Another car I'd love to have is a 70-72 buick riveria boattail. Imagine the weekly gas bill!!!

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw525i91 View Post
    There are a couple different programs in CA. that buy cars. Mainly they are trying to get the 70's 80's polluters off the road. One program will offer 750 for 87 and older but it has to meet certain requirements like be free of lein sales, it has to be able to run and drive at least 50 feet in forward and reverse, it has to be registered for the last couple years, stuff like that... there is another program that will give 1000 ... i am not too clear on the details yet i am going to talk to my friend who owns a smog shop and see exactly what i can get but i think at least 750...
    In Canada both GM and Ford have been involved in something called the "buy back program" for a while now. This program is not without it's controversy, especially among the compact and euro communities.

The program operates by allowing the car dealers to offer a minimum to customers willing to trade in an older vehicle on a new car. The trade in is partially subsidized by the gov't. The vehicle traded is then sent to a wreckers to be crushed regardless of the condition of the car. The VIN number of the vehicle is recorded and that vehicle is never allowed in a registered sale again - even as a salvage only parts car. The wrecker is not supposed to part the vehicle but many do to a small extent. The engine block has to be destroyed along with the car.

The supposed intent of the program is an incentive to take older higher polluting vehicles off the road in favor of newer more efficient ones. The controversy concerns the fact that only domestic manufacturers are involved in the program, and it has been suggested that they target only foreign produced cars in the buy back. Also up here the target age of the buy back vehicles is set at ten years or older - many foreign cars still have a lot of life left in them at that age compared to most domestic.

The program is not advertised or actively used as an incentive to bring customers on to the car lot, you can trade a vehicle in on the program without ever knowing the dealer is offering money just to destroy the car. As a final insult dealers won't offer a buy back on a vehicle that is clearly past its usable life span - you can't take a 70's era Comet in and expect a grand on a trade in - but they'll sure offer something on that 90ish Jetta.

A small wrecker that I frequent locally is part of this program.

My Cars
    1974 BMW 2002
    According to the state BAR site, the retirement program is temporarily suspended. I'm guessing its because we have an action figure for a governor:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/

I might need the rear axles from it, still need to do some research to see which ones I need.

My Cars
    91 525i
    hmm i will have to go talk to my friend who owns a smog shop... as for the car im not sure if im parting it yet because i still have not verified it has a cracked head like the previous owner told me... it actually runs pretty good but supposively is loosing water somewhere... i still havent got a chance to really check it out. i will let you guys know

My Cars
    81 318i..eurotrashed
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986325es View Post
    I always liked the cougar better than the mustang. At least the 60s Cougars. Those sequential turn signals were cool. The interiors were nice too. All round nice car. My only complaint is that 99 percent of them were autos. But I suppose thats easily changed. What do you expect she'll bring? I saw one at Memory Lane in Sun Valley a few years ago but I dont remember what they wanted. Another car I'd love to have is a 70-72 buick riveria boattail. Imagine the weekly gas bill!!!
    I'd take an olds 442 anyday:P

My Cars
    81 318i..eurotrashed
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw525i91 View Post
    hmm i will have to go talk to my friend who owns a smog shop... as for the car im not sure if im parting it yet because i still have not verified it has a cracked head like the previous owner told me... it actually runs pretty good but supposively is loosing water somewhere... i still havent got a chance to really check it out. i will let you guys know
    You'll probably find it's not cracked but it has some corrosion in it being an alloy head.

My Cars
    1982 323i e21

front bumper

btw man, to even out the front bumper, just kick it or push it up against a wall, it will straighten itself out and wont look so bad,,maybe do something about the front plate *cough*

My Cars
    Bronzit 83is, White 82is
    Have you decided what you're doing with this yet? If you decide to part out in the next week or so, I'd be interested in the ignition distributor.
    Thanks