My Cars
    1995 840

Strange rear tyre wear on 03 X5

Hi, my girlfriend has a 2003 X5 3.0d and the rear tyres have worn out on the inside edge. The rest of the tyre is almost as new but the inside edge is down to the cords. Is this common? Can anything be done to stop it wearing out the new tyres I fitted today?

The wheels have been changed by the previous owner and as far as I know apart rom the wheels the car is completly standard. The tyres are 285/45/19 rear and 255/50/19 front on BMW wheels.

Thanks in advance

Luke.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Define "almost as new". Get a tread depth measurement from on top of a wear bar in the outermost circumferencial groove. If it's around 3mm, your situation is pretty normal.

You can have the rear camber reduced if you get an alignment. Just have them put the rear camber at the closer-to-zero end of the acceptable range and that'll help. BMW's tend to have negative camber in the rear that causes the inner edges to wear out more quickly, especially in lower profile tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    this is a common problem with bmws
    Check out my details and paint corrections!

www.theautospallc.com

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0i
    I'd say she needs an allignment or maybe the tire pressure needs to be adjusted.

2005 X3 3.0i
    Peter

My Cars
    1995 840
    Thanks for the replys, I will look into getting the alinment checked and ajusted.

Thanks again.

Regards Luke.

My Cars
    1995 bmw 525i
    I have the same problem with my e34 525i Its usually an alignment problem and since the camber isn't adjustable on the rear you either have to deal with it or get a camber kit so it can be adjusted. I'm not sure if your rear camber is adjustable, if it is then all you need is an alignment.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    does she have rear air. if she does than have a shop with a gt1 raise the rear up 3-5mm and reset alignment. it will help this problem. i do this to all x's that have trailer hitches before i align them. it really help the rear tire wear.

if she does not have rear air, than that is normal if align is w/i spec.

My Cars
    1995 840
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    does she have rear air. if she does than have a shop with a gt1 raise the rear up 3-5mm and reset alignment. it will help this problem. i do this to all x's that have trailer hitches before i align them. it really help the rear tire wear.

if she does not have rear air, than that is normal if align is w/i spec.
    Thanks for that. It does have rear air and whats a gt1? I will call into dealer tomorrow and let you know if I have any joy.

Regards Luke.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    gt-1 is the bmw diagnostic computer. any shop with one of those can raise the rear. Even the laptop version from the net can also do it.

some dealer may not do it that way. they will tell you they can not raise or lower the rear. they can only set it to fact ride height. that is BS. i have done it several times and it practically takes 10minutes to do.

over time the bag wear and it does actuatly lower itself. even setting it back to factory spec will help.

My Cars
    1995 840
    Well I spoke to chap I know at BMW today and they can reset the ride height and maybe raise it aswell. Does this sort the camber problem or does the camber also need ajusting by mechanical means.

Really apriciate your help.

Thanks Luke.

My Cars
    1995 840
    Heres a pic of the tyres I took off. Had 5mm remaining on most of the tread and totaly wrecked on inside edge.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    i always set the alignment mechanical also. i actuatly put the car on the laignment rack and set it up. i then do my air suspension adj. i try to raise it to where the camber specs are in the middle of your adjustment. it may only take as much as 3mm or as much as 5mm.

i am glad you talked to someone that knows about what is going on. most techs nowadays could care less about customer service and only wants the labor hours.

My Cars
    1995 840
    i always set the alignment mechanical also.
    I have had a good look but am obviously missing how the camber is adjusted mechanicaly, sorry to keep asking crap questions but how is the camber ajusted?

My Cars
    E36, E46
    i always set the alignment mechanical also. i actuatly put the car on the laignment rack and set it up. i then do my air suspension adj. i try to raise it to where the camber specs are in the middle of your adjustment. it may only take as much as 3mm or as much as 5mm.

i am glad you talked to someone that knows about what is going on. most techs nowadays could care less about customer service and only wants the labor hours.
    How do you program such minute increments? The system has a tolerance of +/- 10mm.. anything less and it won't adjust.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    all you have to do is when the gt1 ask for the measurement from bottom lip of wheel to bottom edge of fender you tell it is 3m lower than it actuatly is. which in turn the system will raise it 3mm. it real easy.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    all you have to do is when the gt1 ask for the measurement from bottom lip of wheel to bottom edge of fender you tell it is 3m lower than it actuatly is. which in turn the system will raise it 3mm. it real easy.
    I did mine with an autologic. I had to raise it up an extra 11 mm and then lower/trick it by the desired amount +11 because it would not adjust anything less than 10mm
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe