Thread: Small Front end Shimmy with new brakes and suspension.

My Cars
    Tired old E34 535i

Small Front end Shimmy with new brakes and suspension.

I have a little bit of a front end shimmy mainly when applying half pressure to brakes at 45+ mph.

New rotors and pads (replaced two days ago)
    New suspension back in March (shocks, all bushings, tie rod ends, etc)
    New tires with Alignment in March

when rolling slowly I can feel the rotors through the pedal, and they feel warped.....or like the pads are not applying the pressure evenly.

The only thing I can think of is that it will get better once the brakes get broken in.....

....or maybe I need my wheels balanced?

I don't know. help.

Thanks.

My Cars
    Tired old E34 535i
    wow, nobody has any ideas?

My Cars
    2001 530i and 1997 328ic
    Same problem with me as well. My shimmy is pretty major. I too have new brakes and rotors. You can actually feel the brakes grab on the rotors when you turn the rotors without the tires on. Pretty basic one would think, but cannot find the problem. Had a mechanic look at the problem and he replaced the wheel bearing, this did not fix the problem. Let me know if you figure something out.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    did you break in the brakes properly?

My Cars
    2001 530i and 1997 328ic
    How so?

My Cars
    Girl car
    Let the brakes break in. Mine took a long time to break in all the way. I am at about 2k miles on them and the front right rotor is still a bit loud.
    Vehicles:
    (Sold) 95' 525 - ZF320 5-speed swap, 3.46LSD rear, Raceland headers + straight pipe
    (Current) 2012 Scion tC 6-spd M/T - slow

My Cars
    1992 535i
    New brakes and new rotors need a little time and a few miles, sometimes longer, to get used to each other. Drive it for a week or two and see if it gets any better. I would not worry too much unless you are feeling a srong grab or pull left or right.

My Cars
    2001 530i and 1997 328ic
    OK, I have finally got my noise problem fixed. I broke down and took my car to a BMW dealer, as the local indy couldn'd solve the problem and left me with a big bill to pay. The BMW dealer called me within 20 minutes to advise that I required the thrust arms and bushings replaced. Cost me $1200, but car rides like new, no more clunking, no more steering wheel shimmy while braking at higher speeds, no more wheel shimmy while going over train tracks.

I agree, I got shafted (cost wise), but the main thing is all the problems have been solved and I am a happy camper, yes out of pocket some pretty good coin and wife is pissed off at me for having a Bimmer, but I'm still happy.

Oh ya, they did replace the bindle roater and the fu-fu valve ;-)

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Oh man, 1200 for new thrust arms!! Buy a Bentley manual, a decent tool set and get under there yourself.
    "Ar-mega-don"

My Cars
    BMW 535i/1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon535 View Post
    Oh man, 1200 for new thrust arms!! Buy a Bentley manual, a decent tool set and get under there yourself.
    I changed out myself and had a new alignment and I still have a very slight shimmy at 55 mph.