Thread: Relocating to NYC area - questions for those who work in city

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo

Relocating to NYC area - questions for those who work in city

Hiya guys,

Im in the final stages of negotiating a new job in NYC. Sometime in the next 6-9 months Ill be moving to the area from Philadelphia.

So far Im thinking of finding a modest place in a nice neighborhood in north Jersey.

Those of you that work in the city, but live elsewhere - where do you live and how do you commute?

Any particular areas that you would recommend I look at?

Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    tank
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    your options are limited.
    most people in your situation take MTA (mass transit)
    and then PATH (new jersey train)

also.. you could get an "EZ Pass"
    which you use for tolls on bridges...
    i think it would actually be more cost effective for you to take your car because you would only have to pay twice a day to go in and out of nyc to jersey... when you are coming FROM jersey, you cross over the gothals bridge ($6 with EZ Pass i think), and then take the verrozano (free, on the way back)
    and on the way TO work , you would take the George washington bridge ($6 with ez pass, i think) straight into the FDR and go to work...

My Cars
    tank
    better question yet.... what is your requirement as in $$, neigborhood, max. commute time, activity, etc.

u plan to buy or rent?
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Well I was planning on MT, but Im not sure about train details. Ive been taking the Trenton train to Penn Station as of late when I head up about once a week... but I imagine theres got to be something a little closer.

Im looking to buy a home - something small, as I only plan to work in the city around 5 years. Something $150-180Kish. Doesnt have to be a huge home - just newer, clean, and in a good location.

Im just not at all familiar with North Jersey and Ive got no idea where to start looking - I plan on relocating within the next 9 months, so I need to get my shit in gear and start driving around up there looking - got no idea where to start though.

My Cars
    m
    very hard to find a nice, clean home in north jersey, esp for that price...

if you wouldnt mind, there are very nice areas in central jersey...like where I live, princeton junction....very nice homes and very quiet and clean subarban area, and 5 minutes fromTrain to NY which will take you right to Penn station in NYC...takes an hour

My Cars
    '02 M3
    I live in stamford CT about 30 miles from NYC. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to find a 150k house within a 50mile radius of NYC unless it's an absolute shit-hole. I RENT a one bedroom apt. for $1700 a month. It's upscale but you cant do much better than $1200 for an average apt. I really dont know all that much about Jersey though so you may be able to find a good deal. Good luck with your move.
    "The President inserted a cigar into Ms. Lewinsky's vagina, then put the cigar in his mouth and said: 'It tastes good.'"
    - Kenneth Starr

'09 M-sport 135i
    '11 C300
    '02 M3(sold)
    '01 330ci(sold)

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    You're not going to find a combination of affordable, safe, and fun anywhere within 100+ miles of NYC. If I were you I would go with affordable and safe and head into the city for fun. You might see if anything affordable still exists in Highland Park. Super safe but boring little city right across the river from New Brunswick, and a short walk to the NE Corridor train into Penn Station. Also, adjacent areas like Metuchen, Edison, etc might have some ok areas but are even more dreary. Possibly some parts of Patterson. In general, anyplace nice that's not too far a commute is extremely expensive now.
    Lee

My Cars
    m3, 335d, 335i, g500
    I would definetly look in Jersey for homes, if you go into Westchester or Fairfield (depending on where you look). The cost of living can get very expensive.

To commute your best bet is probably the train especially if you'd be leaving home or work during both rush hours - seating can become an issue but I would rather stand for 45min than sit in stop and go traffic all morning.

"It never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side." - Charles Manson