Thread: M5 abused by mechanic?

My Cars
    T4R, Mitox, Highlander, 930

M5 abused by mechanic?

At approx noon today coming out of the Catonsville Home Depot I saw a blacked-out M5 (or other 5 series) on a flatbed towtruck heading west on Rt. 40. Still out running errands, at approx 2pm I saw the same vehicle tearing down Rt. 40 heading west from Nuwood towards Russell BMW. I mean it was flat out, full throttle, and smoke pouring out the tailpipes like Raikkonen's Ferrari a couple races ago. NOT normal, as far as I could tell.

So, I hypothesize that someone had their broken bimmer towed to a mechanic (there's a few along Rt 40 there), and the mechanic took a little joyride, likely further causing $$$ damage. I wonder if it's anyone on this board, if it is, you might want to talk to the service manager.
    Vic
    03 Toyota 4Runner, 02 Tony//Kart Mitox, 79 Porsche 930, 07 Honda Odyssey (oh yeah)
    gone and missed: 74 Alfa Romeo Spider ('83-'07), 95 Jeep ('95-'07), 98 M3/4 5sp ('05-'06), 88 CRX ('91-95), 78 Thunderbird (winter '86)

My Cars
    95 Hellrot /Mbizzle
    Good looks.. hope it's none of your cars
    “This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.”

My Cars
    96' 300zx
    i wish we could buy personal blackboxes for out cars...

The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

My Cars
    2018 530e iPerformance
    Quote Originally Posted by XCELMotorsports View Post
    i wish we could buy personal blackboxes for out cars...
    Can't vouch for this vendor or product, but there are a lot of these things out there.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gp...e-logging.html
    You ain't no daisy!!

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    How do you know that driving it was damaging it?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    How do you know that it wasn't the owner driving it?
    Or maybe mechanic just trying to replicate the noise or problem by test driving it...
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    95 M3, 07 Titan, 96 XJ
    or mabe they fixed w/e issue it was and sold an induction service witch will cause smoke to come out the exhaust and it helps to drive it hard after doing it to blow any carbon it broke lose out.

E30 Turbo 2.8L - 60ft - 1.70 :: 1/8th - 6.99 :: MPH - 105.47 :: 1/4 - 10.66 :: MPH - 132.53
    Daily E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.790 :: 1/8th - 8.20 :: MPH - 84.68 :: 1/4 - 12.81 :: MPH - 107.05
    *RIP* E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.944 :: 1/8th - 8.64 :: MPH - 80.00 :: 1/4 - 13.55 :: MPH - 99.95
    Cool2seat's TTstg1 E36 M3 - 60ft - 2.123 :: 1/8th - 8.44 :: MPH - 87.71 :: 1/4 - 12.94 :: MPH - 107.95

My Cars
    SOOPA FAZ AWTOW
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm620 View Post
    or mabe they fixed w/e issue it was and sold an induction service witch will cause smoke to come out the exhaust and it helps to drive it hard after doing it to blow any carbon it broke lose out.

witch?

- 98 Titanium Silver M3 Coupe

My Cars
    '08 535xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm620 View Post
    or maybe if it was my car I'd want to know if some douche was beating it...

My Cars
    T4R, Mitox, Highlander, 930
    OK, so maybe it was seafoam, or maybe he just had a flat tire, got it fixed, and it was the driver himself ripping down the street. (Like an ass). Maybe he was showing off to the Boxster sitting at the redlight on the cross street.

I kept getting this message from bf.c about how I haven't posted in a while and won't I please consider doing so. So, I did.

My Cars
    11 T4R TE, E46 323 GTS1
    i agree.. may have been a induction service to clean the carbon buildup from the engine.. thats normal to see them smoke like crazy for a good minute or two depending on which product was used... I have had the fire department called before because someone though the car was fire due to the smoke.. I left it running outside the shop with a BG induction service hooked up.. LOL.. the fire fighters had a good laugh once they figured it out..
    but yes some techs due beat the living crap outa customer cars trying to duplicate a problem.. When I was just starting in the field we had a customer with a new Maserti Gran Sport with a vibration at 130mph... Needless to say, he drove, tech rode along..

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    i know my mech beats my car. but he only does it to check and make sure everything works. ive watched him do it. I dont care, he rebuilt my motor and took it for a drive because there were idle problems. he was checking it in all rpm ranges because sometimes he said above 4500rpm if you just push the clutch in the sudden drop in rpm causes it to stall. after a quick dyno tune and some more adjustments the problem was over but if he hadn't done that i would of had no idea. He is a master at what he does and he can find problems you may not have known about just by driving it and he will drive it in every way he can think of. hes been a DE Instructor since BMW CCA began practically and a BMW mechanic longer then that. I dont really mind that he does it because i know he would repair for no cost if he did something. He left my car outside for a long time during a motor rebuild and birds shit all over it and we had a hard time getting the marks out of the paint. He paid to have a professional detailer do it, they got the marks out and the car looks great. He did it because he said he should have washed the car off. He did request that in the future i drop the car off with a cover.

My Cars
    2 MBs, E30, F-150
    Sometimes you have to run the crap out of cars to diagnose them or verify a repair. It's one of the perks of the job and sometimes the only reason the job is enjoyable. I personally enjoy replacing supercharger clutches, fuel pumps, and stability control parts on AMG cars.

My Cars
    BMW MINI PORSCHE
    I bet it was driven by a Russell lot boy. I've seen them drive on 40 to fuel up at shell and they peal off, weave in and out of traffic and speed all the time.

OBD1M52:S52cams:M50intakemanifold:3.38LSD:AAtuning :Eisenmannexhaust:Cosmosintake:Z3steeringrack:Mroa dsterSSK:KoniSA:
    EibachPro::ReRSM:Xbrace:MillimigliaMM2:Vaders:Alpi ne:Original MARB parts

Porsche 1997 993 911: Stock
    2003 Mini Cooper S: Supercharger Pulley: Borla exhaust
    1998 318ti: Stock

My Cars
    1998 m3
    ^^^ i pass threw their all the time..when ever i take my car to get serviced at russell, i always tell then i got a built in car camera "for safety reasons" i never had my car abused by no other person then me that i know of.

My Cars
    Boring E36
    legally technicians are not allowed to brake the speed limit when out on their route. Each technician has their own route when test driving vehicles. If you had a whistling noise when you are at 85mph, the tech will not be able to duplicate the problem as it is above the legal speed limit. The technician can't even be in the car with you driving if that is the speed when the noise occurs. With that said it could have been the detailer or like others said the owner.

I am an assistant manager for a dealership so I hear it all the time. I have seen the Detailers of Cadillac and Pontiac taking the GTO's and CTS-V's out on a gas run. Lets just say they go to get a full tank but don't come back with one lol. One of them got fired for whipping donuts in the back of an empty parking lot.

Why I am in this section I have to freaking clue lol.

My Cars
    Dinan '95 ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LWRNCE View Post
    legally technicians are not allowed to brake the speed limit when out on their route. Each technician has their own route when test driving vehicles. If you had a whistling noise when you are at 85mph, the tech will not be able to duplicate the problem as it is above the legal speed limit. The technician can't even be in the car with you driving if that is the speed when the noise occurs. With that said it could have been the detailer or like others said the owner.

I am an assistant manager for a dealership so I hear it all the time. I have seen the Detailers of Cadillac and Pontiac taking the GTO's and CTS-V's out on a gas run. Lets just say they go to get a full tank but don't come back with one lol. One of them got fired for whipping donuts in the back of an empty parking lot.

Why I am in this section I have to freaking clue lol.

Word.

|Dinan Stage 3 Chip|Dinan Throttle Body|Carbonio CAI|Dinan Gen I Free Flow Exhaust|Dinan F/R Sway Bars|Dinan Front Strut Bar|HR Sport Coilovers|Ground Control RSMs|Depos w/ AEs - Apexcone 8K HIDs|140amp Alternator|ZHP Knob|Evo3 Shifter|DSSR|Motion Motorsport Underpanel|

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is / 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    I had an angering situation with my talon last year. I was still at college and decided to have the local performance shop swap out turbos on it since all of my tools were back home. I instructed him that the car was still on factory injectors so the car COULD NOT be brought into serious boost at all until I put them in next weekend. Wellllll, I go to pick up my car and it is still hot(used to it with a dsm). I decided to leave my logger running the day it was at the shop.... Checked it later and my poor dsm had spiked 26psi @ 7.5k. It hit the rev limiter multiple times (no reason for that in an AWD car regardless) and been run hard for at least 20 minutes straight. Needless to say I went back and had a 'talk' with them, and they said they would locate the mechanic would did the install and get back to me.....they closed about 2 weeks after that.

Moral of the story...if you want it done right do it yourself. Or at least have it done by someone you have a prior working relationship with.

My Cars
    BMW M6 gran coupe
    To ensure the safety of my car, I leave a hidden camera in it, it can help to sort out the incident. I bought this camera here ....removed by mod
    Last edited by shogun; 07-27-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spam post

My Cars
    yes
    ...I think the "omniplant" on the dash would work well.

Don