Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed VANOS seals.....BIG difference

My Cars
    87 T type turbo buick, 2002 4runner,2001 330ci

Changed VANOS seals.....BIG difference

Anybody else on this forum change there VANOS seals?(obviously) Can you believe the difference from 0 to 4000rpm. I was quite shocked that those little seals could give back some torque. How long did you guys break them in? RAJ says 500 miles. I guess i will gradually break them in. To anybody out there that has not changed them.....DO IT!!! Big improvement in the low end. It is not that big of a job....quite easy actually.Thanks in advance for some feedback......

My Cars
    2006 e90 330xi
    how many hours did it take?

My Cars
    2002 325i 5 spd
    hmm I have heard of replacing the VANOS seals before but never knew you would get any power back from it. I will have to look into it. What kind of tools do you need?

Shark Injector. ZHP Exhaust. 3.46 Differential. M-Tech II Bumper. Koni Sport. H&R Race. H&R Front Sway. CDV Delete. Balo Slotted Rotors. Hawk HPS. Hardwired V1. ZHP Knob. Trunk Lip Spoiler. Smoked LED Tails. Smoked Corners/Sides. 35% Tint. O.Z. 35th Anniversary Wheels

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Did you change the seals themselves or did you swap the VANOS assembly.

How many miles on your car?

My Cars
    05 BMW 330CI.ZHP
    what are u guys talking about again??? lol

My Cars
    01' 330i 07' R56 MCS
    Here ya go for those who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Last edited by Zimmy330; 09-16-2008 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by GIORGI View Post
    what are u guys talking about again??? lol
    VANOS is variable timing on the camshafts. It smooths out the powerband throughout the RPM range, creates more power and better gas mileage. It works with oil pressure and electric solenoids, on a series of gears in the front of the engine. The seals are o-rings around pistons in the assembly. The o-rings loose their elasticisity and let oil bleed by, reducing the pressure.

My Cars
    05 BMW 330CI.ZHP
    GOD I love this ppl. thanks for letting me kno... i

My Cars
    01 330I Sport/M/Winter package
    did mine three weeks ago along with the thermostat at my inlaws place, its not hard at all just takes long because of all the bolts you have to remove. i did it in a day with lots of breaks starting at 10am then had a big breakfast worked on the car then went it town for a few hours, have some beer worked on it again, have dinner; finished the job..

My Cars
    okay....I have 212000km(120,000miles) on the car. I just changed the seals from BEISAN. It really did not take that long. It took me 50 minutes to take it off. Putting it back on took a bit longer....I can be quite anal....I clean EVERYTHING!! Old oil etc. But just to changed the seals is really easy.As for tools nothing really special......check the link above. Put it this way.....When you take out the vanos cylinders(remove spring on exhaust side).......wipe off the oil and put it back together on the bench....I did this as a test. Then turn the unit over the cylinders just flop back and forth. When you stick in the new seals.....FORGET it....even with oil on the cylinders,you have to push the cylinders to move them.....very snug. I can already feel the difference in the torque.I do not have to rev her up to move her.....Torque is right there.As per RAJ......he says wait until the seals break in....That is when I shall notice the real difference.....Can't wait. Just have to keep driving her easy for now.

My Cars
    '03 530
    Great repair man, sounds like a job well done! From what I have read, cars in signifigantly colder climates are much more susceptable to needing this. I have thought about doing it because I have 183k but I am not experiencing any noticable symptoms. I think as soon as I have to do th VCG I will do it.

My Cars
    2003 325CI
    Thanks for the informational post Im going to do this soon.

My Cars
    328CI
    I changed them, the car is way faster feeling, I was shocked as well!

My Cars
    raylightt123.....How long did you break them in for??? 200-300 hundred miles

My Cars
    2006 e90 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by raylightt123 View Post
    I changed them, the car is way faster feeling, I was shocked as well!
    did you do yourself? i will look into this myself

My Cars
    e46 M3 6MT
    I changed them myself and it resolved my idling issue on cold starts and I notice a bit of a smoother power curve. It was not like a nigh and day difference like some people are describing. However it was well worth it for $60. Plus I did my valve cover gasket and spark plugs as well.

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
    2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
    Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
    I changed them myself and it resolved my idling issue on cold starts and I notice a bit of a smoother power curve. It was not like a nigh and day difference like some people are describing. However it was well worth it for $60. Plus I did my valve cover gasket and spark plugs as well.
    It wasn't night and day???? What are you kidding me! How many Km's on your car......LESS than 100,000KM? MAYBE on a 330......I can REALLY feel it because I have slightly more power than your 328???? To me it is night and day.I have 212,000KM. PLUS I have only driven it maybe a thousand clics since I have bought it.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    hmm. i may just do this.
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue

My Cars
    2006 e90 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilez@EuroDyne View Post
    hmm. i may just do this.
    yah man i agree, just to see if i get any torque gains

My Cars
    '00 318i SE + '78 SIII Landrover + '98(Opel)Corsa
    Do 4 pot BMW engines have vanos? If so does anyone know were to buy new o-rings and a DIY?

Sean
    Last edited by Sean323iSE; 09-19-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    '00 Nissan Vannete "Shaggin' Waggon" - Current DD
    '95 Peugeot 306 dTurbo "Chucky" - Dead (Blown up!)
    '00 BMW 318i SE "Katie" - Sold
    '78 Landrover Series III - Rebuild In Progress
    '99 Vauxhaul Corsa "Kermit the frog" - Dead (old age)

My Cars
    e46 M3 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo6buick View Post
    It wasn't night and day???? What are you kidding me! How many Km's on your car......LESS than 100,000KM? MAYBE on a 330......I can REALLY feel it because I have slightly more power than your 328???? To me it is night and day.I have 212,000KM. PLUS I have only driven it maybe a thousand clics since I have bought it.
    I have a 328i with 172k km so the seals were long gone. Like I said, it wasn't night and day. It just pulls stronger below 3K RPM. I don't have to slip the clutch as much when taking off in 1st and there is no power surge at 3K RPM like there was before. It just pulls smoothly and evenly across all RPMs

Ground Control Street/School coilovers, 19" HRE 441R wheels, ACS exhaust
    2DIN touchscreen carputer, Bimmian CF E-brake handle, Titanium CF Trim, Illuminated ZHP knob, BMW Performance SSK, 2-way Compustar
    Clear turn signals, LED license plate lights, LED tails, 3000k HID fogs, angel eyes, matte grills, CF Emblems etc

My Cars
    '99 BMW 328i, '81 911SC, '86 Buick Grand National
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo6buick View Post

Maybe it just seemed faster compared to your big slow Buick.
    Terry
    99 328i

My Cars
    Good one TerryH. You got arise out of me there for a sec. Until I saw that you have a 86 GN.I know and you know how QUICK turbo buicks are when you know how to tweak them PROPERLY! Yes they are 21 year old dinosaurs that can't handle nor brake worth SH@T.......BUT in a straight line hold on. As for toxic0n....You do agree that there was much more torque below 4k rpm. All cars are different......For me a $60 fix and it feels like that..........You can't go wrong.

My Cars
    01' 330i 07' R56 MCS
    I was studying the engine bay today in preparation to changee these Vanos seal. Did you guys have to remove the mechanical fan? It looks like a pita to remove with out the BMW fan hold tool. I wonder if I can do this with out removing tha fan.

My Cars
    328CI
    About 200 miles, drove easy, About 5k on new seals now, Still no problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast