Thread: Removing wiper control arms

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd

Removing wiper control arms

Replacing the hood cowel cover on my 2000 540i. What is the trick to getting the wiper arms off? Previous suggestion was to rock back and forth but afraid I am going to break something. Saw in another post that there is a special tool? If yes, where does one get this tool and how much? Any guidance or suggestions or pictures illustrating what to do much appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    autozone has a pitman arm puller that may work.

the prongs grab the arm and the screw pushes off the bolt to remove the arm.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    BMW
    I just did mine last week.

Used Autozone OEM 27011 3 jaw puller and OEM 27022 Tie rod/Pitman puller to get them off.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 525i
    Also you dont have to buy it autozone,oreilleys will let you rent it for free with a small deposit till you return it.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i think i bought it for $8
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

97heath528i is offline Eager to learn/wrench BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    97 528i Canyon Red
    I just used a rubber mallet and left nut on control arms shaft and hit top of nut with dead hammer while using a little pressure on control arms. It popped right off. I had thought my wiper motor was going out. I had wipers that would come on and sporadically stop working. I took my windshield cowl off and found that my wiper crank arm that is supposed to have splines that fit onto the wiper motor. The wiper crank arm splines are almost smooth. I am guessing that it would engage at times and then slip as the wiper motor turned. So, I am going to get a new crank arm and see if that solves my wiper problem.

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd

Help

I got the wiper arms off. As suggested bought a puller at NAPA. Worked as advertised. However...under the driver arm is a rectangular silver something that will not budge. Called an 'Adjusting Plate' per Real OEM diagram (part #61618161494). Have the puller locked down tight and can not move it. Have hit with hammer, penetrating oil. Any other ideas or suggestions?