Thread: Engine Swap

My Cars
    Turbo M3

Engine Swap

Im really considering to swap out my Engine for 98 m3 engine. I have a 94 325is. I was wondering what all i have to make the swap possible. Its comming from an auto m3 to an auto 325is (dont laugh parents want me to keep my car an auto). They said the "The engine comes with all belt drivenparts intact, wiring harness, etc. We have not taken anything off of it. Only the parts necessary to remove it from the car." What a ball park figure of how much it would cost to drop this into my car. THinking of having Active Autowerkes do it since they are close and I trust them. DO i need any other parts?

My Cars
    I asked the same question on another forum and the answer I got was it will cost a lot of money - somewhere in the region of 6K. Suppose it all depends on where you get your stuff from and how cheap the garage is. I would have thought you could get it cheaper if you went to a scrap yard that had an m3 that has been rear ended.

The thing you have to think about is it will never be as good or as fast as a proper m3. Even if you did an engine swap, it still wouldn't be quite as quick.(different gearing, transmission, heavier clutch/flywheel.) Just trying to meet and beat ///M acceleration , you'll spend just about as much more than it costs to buy a similar year ///M. I would just suggest saving up and buying one as there is no substitute for the real thing.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Just get a Supercharger.. Or for u.. a turbo since ur OBD I
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2000 323iT
    Originally posted by Stylin
    Just get a Supercharger.. Or for u.. a turbo since ur OBD I
    Hey <b>Willy</b>, when are you going to SC or Turbo your car? I think that is the only mod left, right?

I am still wrestling with what to do on my OBDII 328. My choices:

1. SC 328 motor (already has 75k on it)
    2. M3 Motor implant
    3. Sell my car and buy E36 M3

I would be fronting about the same amount of cash in the end (~7 - 10k) and option 3 would leave power upgrades in the future. What would you guys do???
    Nick

1998 M3 Estoril • 2000 323it TiAg sport 5 spd

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    do your own work and it wont cost much

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    I'm with Stockman. Definitely do your own work (if you're handy). It'll save you piles of cash. Of course, if you were born not-so-mechanically-inclined, then you'll do more damage than good, and it'll cost you more in the long run.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend

List

Can some please devise a general list on what components are needed for an M3 engine swap.

ACS Type III Light Alloys 18x8.5
    ACS Suspension
    ACS Sport Mirrors
    Hamann Exhaust System
    Angels

To Come:-
    ACS Race Suspension
    ACS Steering Wheel (Leather)
    ACS Interior
    Full Multimedia Set-Up