Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The History of the Ix

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325iX, 2002 VW Eurovan MV, 2008 MCS
    Yeah, that ksk site was the one I was on, for some reason google had it listed as alpina-usa.com in the link. I know the kopis were available in et35. Maybe that's what fit? I looked into them but they were ungodly heavy... but what do I expect for $800/set...
    1991 BMW 325iX (4dr, 5spd, Lazurblau)- 4.10 differentials, Slotted rotors (front), EBC greenstuff pads, SS brake lines, Supersprint cat-back w/ DTM tips, Z3 'short shifter', H&R springs, Bilstein dampers, e36 rear shock mounts, AKG poly subframe & TA bushings, MM flywheel (10-12lbs), Bav. Auto Chip, K&N panel filter.
    2002 VW EuroVan MV- Alpine 9833 receiver with iPod adapter, Thule roof rack, Yakima hitch bike rack.
    2008 Mini Cooper S- Showroom stock.. down to the craptacular run flats.
    LOTS OF E30 PARTS!

My Cars
    '87 325is
    lolz. listen to the commercial. he says "until now, blah blah if you wanted a sports car and awd, you had to by two cars, until now!"

2x until now. silly commercial people dropped the ball there. sounds retarded.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by straight6pwr View Post
    lolz. listen to the commercial. he says "until now, blah blah if you wanted a sports car and awd, you had to by two cars, until now!"

2x until now. silly commercial people dropped the ball there. sounds retarded.

im not quite sure what that video was....a training video for employees, a video sent to customers, or what. but its way too long and boring to be a commercial

My Cars
    325iX Baur & more
    It's at least not a training video for employees. I have that one on dvd, it's even longer (about 40 minutes) and also tells technical stories.

Gr Jeroen

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Baur View Post
    It's at least not a training video for employees. I have that one on dvd, it's even longer (about 40 minutes) and also tells technical stories.

Gr Jeroen
    anyway you'd be interested in burning me a copy?

is it a genuine bmw video, or a copy you have?

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    bittorrent it!

My Cars
    '96 328is
    you're making me want one of these now

My Cars
    E30 88IX,E36M3,S/C'd
    great job on the ix ...i cant wait for some snow to drive my !!!

jp
    ]

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-spd, '89 325iX, '07 Rav4

New iX owner here.

Hi guys. I've just about done all I want to do to my '00 540i 6 spd so I just added an '89 iX sedan to my BMW experience. It's a project car for me. I know, I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm looking forward to it now. It has 160k miles and a dead auto-trans. I'm going to convert it to a 5 spd. manual. I already bought the parts from Bavarian Auto Recycling and I'll have Valley Motorwerks do the conversion. It has plenty of other problems as well but I think I can deal with them. The engine is strong and the body is straight with no rust. I won't have it together for this winter but I should by next year. Wish me luck.
    ------------------------------------
    Mountain driving is the best.
    KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS!

The M3 is gone. I'll miss it but I love this E39 540i-6 spd. I call my rebuilt iX 5 spd. conversion 'my little red head' because she's so much fun to play with.

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe M3 View Post
    Hi guys. I've just about done all I want to do to my '00 540i 6 spd so I just added an '89 iX sedan to my BMW experience. It's a project car for me. I know, I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm looking forward to it now. It has 160k miles and a dead auto-trans. I'm going to convert it to a 5 spd. manual. I already bought the parts from Bavarian Auto Recycling and I'll have Valley Motorwerks do the conversion. It has plenty of other problems as well but I think I can deal with them. The engine is strong and the body is straight with no rust. I won't have it together for this winter but I should by next year. Wish me luck.
    haha, awesome, sounds like it'll be a fun project. welcome and good luck

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-spd, '89 325iX, '07 Rav4
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to the project.
    ------------------------------------
    Mountain driving is the best.
    KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS!

The M3 is gone. I'll miss it but I love this E39 540i-6 spd. I call my rebuilt iX 5 spd. conversion 'my little red head' because she's so much fun to play with.

My Cars
    '87 325is
    this WILL be my winter car whence i can afford to have a 2 cars in my stable.

My Cars
    1999 528iT/5
    it's so cool that this car has such a following, and you really have some great sources here, thanks!!

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis M View Post
    it's so cool that this car has such a following, and you really have some great sources here, thanks!!

yas

My Cars
    94 3000GT - 91 M5 - 86 535i/5
    so where do i get that window decal?
    94' 3000GT
    91' M5
    98' 540i/6
    88' 325iX/5
    01' x5 4.4i

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesdiner View Post
    so where do i get that window decal?
    e30tech.com a guy was making them under the ix subsection. its pretty old now so search for it, he may still be making copies though

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Davey:

Here is a link with a good amount of info on care for e30 transfer case:
    everything you wanted to know about the iX transfer case

Also, here is some e30 iX information from BMW:

BMW TIS description
    This section is some text from the BMW TIS describing some design elements of the 325ix
    BMW TIS SBT permanent all wheel drive

SUBJECT: Permanent All-Wheel Drive
    Model: 325iX
    A high-powered, permanent All-Wheel Drive model, based on the rear-wheel drive 325i has been developed with only slight modifications to the standard body. In general, the new 325iX provides improved handling performance via superior transmission of engine power to the road. Directional stability and traction. even under extreme operating conditions, have been improved over those already appreciated in rear-wheel drive cars. The power output is now distributed to a doubled tire contact area.

A transfer case is attached to the rear of the transmission and transmits power to the front and rear axle final drives The standard 26015 transmission has a modified output cover with connections for the new single arm shift lever mount as well as attaching points for the transfer case. An opening between the two units provides access to the flexible joint coupling flange connections.

The ZF A 95 Transfer Case (with modifications for special BMW requirements) is used as a power divider. The torque of the planetary gear differential is divided with 37% of the power transmitted to the front wheels and 63% to the rear wheels. In this manner the greater portion of torque drive is transmitted by the rear wheels which promotes easy handling and maintains the typical BMW handling.

The transfer case transmits power laterally via an Internal-toothed drive chain to the front drive shaft The amount of torque transmitted will depend on the ratio of the planetary gear differential and the viscous clutch. The toothed drive chain system is known as a power transmission method hating the lowest possible loss over a wide range of conditions and drive distances and also as the most compact system of this type.

Aside from periodic oil changes, the transfer case requires no adjustments and is maintenance-free.
    1. Viscous Clutch
    2. Planetary Gear Differential
    3. Drive Chain

The drive line to the rear final drive is straight via the planetary gear differential and viscous clutch. Tension between the driven axles is prevented in the All-Wheel Drive System. Axle speed differences are compensated within the planetary gear differential and viscous clutch in the transfer case, so that any trapped stress or strain between axles is eliminated. The shift lever is mounted higher than on the standard E30. A cast aluminum strut is used for mounting. The transmission and transfer case are mounted on a large cushioned rubber mount.

Description of Operation

The power from the transmission is transmitted via the transfer case input shaft to the planetary gear carrier and the planetary gears. Torque division takes place in the planetary gear differential. 63% of available power is transmitted via the annulus gear to the rear final drive and 37% via the sun gear and drive chain to the front final drive. The viscous clutch is a sealed, self-contained unit and is connected in such a way as to provide a non-rigid link between the driven axles. The plates contained in the viscous unit are connected alternately with the hub(rear drive) or the case (front drive) and all plates are surrounded with a highly viscous fluid.

When the driven axles encouter differing frictional surfaces, the viscous clutch will lock for a redistribution of power and, therefore, increase the torque of the driven axle with the better frictional surface. In other words, when the speed between the case (front drive) and hub (rear drive) differ, a locking action accurs. The shearing force between the plates with holes and the plates with slots as well as the viscous fluid produces a locking torque relative to the difference in plate speeds and fluid temperature.

The viscous clutch operates without noise, shock or wear as the plates experience no metal to metal contact. As illustrated, torque redistribution if fully automatic requiring no manual input from the vehicle operator. The viscous clutch has a lifetime filling of a special oil. The tranfer case if filled with ATF Dexron II (capacity appx .5 liter). The ATF in the tranfer case has to be changed at the 1,200 mile inspection and at every inspection II.

Driveshafts
    Power is transmitted to the new differential for the front axle using a short 25mm solid shaft, employing a flexible joint coupling at the final drive. Drive to the rear final drive is accomplished with a single piece driveshaft without intermediate mounts, similar to the standard version in design and strength. A flexible joint coupling is provided at the tranfer case output flange.

Rear Axle Final Drive
    The rear axle final drive is the standard E28 type with a ratio of 3.91:1 and is fitted with a viscous clutch. While similar in function, the rear final dirve viscous unit differs in dimensions and applications from the larger unit employed in the tranfer case. The final drive unit is mounted 7mm closer to the underbody thus increasing the vehicle ground clearance.

The application of viscous clutch technology in the rear drive unit provides several advantages:
    1. automatic and continuous rear wheel locking according to varying road surface conditions
    2. quieter, softer engagement which rseults in less strain, wear and noise.
    3. gentler lock/unlock action enhances front axle steering control.

Front Axle Final Drive
    The 3.91:1 front axle final drive is of the conventional non-locking type and is rigidly mounted to the engine oil pan. Locking capability is deleted from the front drive unit to avoid any unusual feel or feedback in the steering. The forward drive unit is compact in design to conserve under-vehicle space and to save weight. The oil capacity is .7 liter. The differential oil has to be changed during the 1,200 Mile Inspection and at every Inspection II.

Engine Oil Pan
    The oil pan has an opening to mount the front final drive unit and the right final drive output. While it is true that the final drive "passes thru" the engine oil pan, these two units remain completely independent of each other. Ther is never an intermix of oils, gasses orpressures between the engine and the front drive unit. The conficuration of the engine oilpan has changed substantially. While the relationship of the oilpump, pickup and sump location has changed to accomodate the All-Wheel Drive components, the total engine oil volume remains the same with the installation of the oil cooler.

The oil pan has a baffle with an integrated one-way valve to prevent the displacement of oil out of the lower oil sump during certain operating conditions. The BMW All-Wheel Drive uses a special supporting bracket for the intermediate output shaft to compensate for the off-center position of the front final drive unit. The bracket, which is attached to the oil pan, permits the use of front axle half shafts of equal length. This configuration assures that both sides are equal with minimal deflection angles, thus the "Torque Steer" effect is eliminated. Constant velocity joints on each enf of the half shafts allow for angular compensation.

Front Axle
    The front axle, subframe and related components are of a completely new design. A cast aluminium subframe was developed to conserve space and conform to BMW requirements concerning strenght and performance. The subframe is located further forward necessatating a new stabilizer bar and mounting points. The new stabilizer bar and the related hardware are similar to the E28 type.

Joe M in WV
    Last edited by jmenacker; 12-15-2008 at 02:31 AM. Reason: it's 2:30 in the morning!

My Cars
    Ferrari F430
    history means now extinct... remember that.
    Vroom Vroooom

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    iX for the win! Great thread, 5/5

In the Darkness, where fear and knowing are one
    My Cars
    1987 Fiero GT
    Quote Originally Posted by davey101 View Post
    Car and Driver specifically notes that on dry surfaces, the iX stops 13 ft. shorter than an 325is, probably due to wider stock tires (205s vs. 195s).
    What a lot of people don't realize is that a viscous coupling AWD system can perform some of the functions of ABS.

AMC Eagles, for instance, posted better stopping distances than their RWD platform cousins, despite not even THINKING about ABS. As the front wheels begin to lockup in a hard stop, the viscous coupling reacts to the developing front/rear speed difference by transferring front brake torque to the rear wheels and preventing premature front wheel lockup.

I wouldn't be surprised if this effect were at work in the iX also. It would allow the car to make the most of braking traction at both ends before invoking ABS.

My Cars
    325ix, 2000 Mcoupe
    et 35 is a pretty common offset for aftermarket IX wheels.

stock weaves are 15x7 et41

15x7 et25 euro weaves fit without problems
    16x7 et28 alpinas fit fine as well
    17x7.5 et35 alpina kopis/kosei k1's
    16x7.5 is also commonly et35

my car is running 17x8 et30 w/ 215/40 gforce sports with no rubbing unless there is someone fat in the back of the car. I need to do a slight roll and i'll be good to go.

I'm not the ix wheel expert but all of the above are proven to work. I think with the right offset you can fit 225's under the ix as well. 235/40r17 would also probably work but it would be very tight.
    1991 325ix
    2000 Mcoupe

My Cars
    2 e36s, 1 e30
    great thread!

My Cars
    4dr(E46 323i, E30 325e)
    DANG! i want a IX now, there is one aroudn town that is lowerd and has skiracks and a whale(that cargo thing on top) and it looks badass! i want one so bad

Quote Originally Posted by robspeed20 View Post
    having a fast honda is like coming out of the closet, you suprise EVERYONE at first, but at the end of the day, your still gay....

My Cars
    89 325iX, 87 325i,
    Excellent thread guys! I love my 89 4 door iX. Question to the iX powers though. Are the engine mounts interchangeable with the standard rwd 3 series? Same with the transmounts? I need to replace mine, and would love to go with solid mounts...

My Cars
    88 D/S iX
    No tranny mounts really. It's simply suspended by the engine on one side and the transfer case on the other.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast