Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The History of the Ix

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Amazing Post!

My Cars
    91 325 iX
    This is a very good write-up with links. I had to hunt for days to glean info on mine 5 years ago. Mine is for sale and it's back to more Porsche 951 projects.

91 325iX For Sale
    91 325 iX, 5-speed coupe, Lazer Blau Metallic, alive again.
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo-K26/8, 17" CCW's
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo-Garrett dbb T4-T3R, Maxtronics, Tial
    83 Porsche N/A -Moved on to 944 Spec racing

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhl 951 View Post
    This is a very good write-up with links. I had to hunt for days to glean info on mine 5 years ago. Mine is for sale and it's back to more Porsche 951 projects.

91 325iX For Sale

wow, nice looking car you have. shame about the title, but for 2 grand it sounds like a good deal. good luck

My Cars
    91 325 iX
    Quote Originally Posted by davey101 View Post
    wow, nice looking car you have. shame about the title, but for 2 grand it sounds like a good deal. good luck
    Thanks, I really did enjoy the car. I took it skiing many times and was amazed how well it did in the snow. Between that and the wet weather stability the iX is a really a dream. The title thing always confused me. The PO said it was an engine fire but there is no scortching at all in the engine bay? I'm thinking maybe a theft recovery which usually results in a salvage title here in California if the claim has already been paid out to the owner.
    91 325 iX, 5-speed coupe, Lazer Blau Metallic, alive again.
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo-K26/8, 17" CCW's
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo-Garrett dbb T4-T3R, Maxtronics, Tial
    83 Porsche N/A -Moved on to 944 Spec racing

My Cars
    E30 325IX
    Quote Originally Posted by 1991E30 View Post
    Amazing Post!

Agreed

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Hi im Brett and I have an 89 ix 4-door 5-speed alpineweiss

Long Live The IX! This is an outstanding thread, and I am diggin it! I have fallen in love with the ix... It just amazes me in the snow/ice/mud/ everything I have taken it through. Keep up the good work fellas.

My Cars
    None
    I just found a 1986 325ix for sale in New York. Is it known that people may have imported some over before they brought them to the US? Or does this guy not know what hes talking about...

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevwa451 View Post
    I just found a 1986 325ix for sale in New York. Is it known that people may have imported some over before they brought them to the US? Or does this guy not know what hes talking about...
    if it truly is an '86 then it is a grey market car. I'm sure there are some pre-88' ix's that were imported over here leagally, and some not so legally. just ask for the VIN and type it into realoem.com and see what pops up

My Cars
    88' 325i
    Hello,I am new. I just aquired an 88' 325 i,how do I tell if it is a ix?And is there a site that decodes vin #'s for you.

My Cars
    88 D/S iX
    The iX is a very different animal than the regular i and iS. Unless you bought the car knowing it was an iX, it's pretty much guarunteed that it's not.

However, the iX has it's own fender flares and sideskirts, and if you jack the car up and can see a transfer case attached to the back of the transmission and a driveshaft coming from the transfer case to a diff in the front underneath the oilpan.

My Cars
    88' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonOrta View Post
    The iX is a very different animal than the regular i and iS. Unless you bought the car knowing it was an iX, it's pretty much guarunteed that it's not.

However, the iX has it's own fender flares and sideskirts, and if you jack the car up and can see a transfer case attached to the back of the transmission and a driveshaft coming from the transfer case to a diff in the front underneath the oilpan.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! The ix's are all wheel drive lol,that would eliminate mine Thanks alot

I still would like to know there is any place I an find out info based on my vin #?
    Last edited by DAXNATR; 10-08-2009 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAXNATR View Post
    Hello,I am new. I just aquired an 88' 325 i,how do I tell if it is a ix?And is there a site that decodes vin #'s for you.
    Look for axles in the front...

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Ohhhhhhhhhh! The ix's are all wheel drive lol,that would eliminate mine Thanks alot

I still would like to know there is any place I an find out info based on my vin #?

you can enter your vin into realoem just to get the production date and the exact model. theres also a member on here that will run your vin and tell you the specs and options. just search for "vin decoding" or something similar.

My Cars
    88' 325i
    Thankyou

that search didn't work. Someone needs to make up a post showing how to decode it If i figure it out,i will do it
    Last edited by DAXNATR; 10-08-2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    they have basic charts that decode the vin to show you manufacturing plant and stuff like that. this guy has an actual program that lists every fact about your car
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=VIN

enjoy

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.

Call the dealer... They can tell you lots.

My Cars
    1989 325iX
    I just wanted to stop by and say hello.
    I just bought an 1989 325ix Auto today and am very excited to drive it this winter!

Winter tires are going on it tomorrow along with a lot of cleaning and TLC....

My Cars
    '00 540i 6-spd, '89 325iX, '07 Rav4
    I'm getting close to driving it. Pulled the dead automatic and put in the used 5-spd manual with new clutch, UUC short shift, new guibos, etc. Reworked the head to true it and put in new valve guides. New belts, thermo, H2O pump, cap & rotor, plugs and lots more little parts. Cleaned everything I touched. Got the speedo fixed and installed a sport steering wheel. I still have to install the sport seats I have for it. I also have a front axle boot to replace and Bilstein HDs to install but. I'm hoping to have it on the road before the snow gets too deep.
    ------------------------------------
    Mountain driving is the best.
    KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS!

The M3 is gone. I'll miss it but I love this E39 540i-6 spd. I call my rebuilt iX 5 spd. conversion 'my little red head' because she's so much fun to play with.

My Cars
    Wanting an E36 M3 XD
    Wow this is fantastic!!

My Cars
    '84 325e, '88 325iX
    Looks great Davey, but I'd double-check those production numbers. I wonder if there's a way to audit BMV/DMV records for registered numbers - I know they're getting harder to find.

A point of interest: I've arranged Gordon's 28 iX Registry Newletters (Jan '94-Jan '02 tech articles, pictures, etc) in .pdf format and printed the book at an office supply store - makes a great addition to the e30 manuals that sort of ignore the iX-specific info. PM me if you need it digitally, you can get it printed for about $10-15, about 250 pages.

I'm still discovering all the quirks/gremlins of the iX - but after my first Indiana winter, it's clearly better suited for snow than the eta. If you've never driven one, you should. The newer x-drive is OK, but I prefer the mechanical over the computer-controlled version (and the feel of a natural manual).

Thanks again for making a mark for the iX.

Regards,
    cf

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 29th light View Post
    Looks great Davey, but I'd double-check those production numbers. I wonder if there's a way to audit BMV/DMV records for registered numbers - I know they're getting harder to find.

A point of interest: I've arranged Gordon's 28 iX Registry Newletters (Jan '94-Jan '02 tech articles, pictures, etc) in .pdf format and printed the book at an office supply store - makes a great addition to the e30 manuals that sort of ignore the iX-specific info. PM me if you need it digitally, you can get it printed for about $10-15, about 250 pages.

I'm still discovering all the quirks/gremlins of the iX - but after my first Indiana winter, it's clearly better suited for snow than the eta. If you've never driven one, you should. The newer x-drive is OK, but I prefer the mechanical over the computer-controlled version (and the feel of a natural manual).

Thanks again for making a mark for the iX.

Regards,
    cf
    You only have two posts so I can't PM you

Thats an awesome idea though, the bentley leaves out so much thats covered in those newsletters.

And yeah, those are the only real numbers floating on the internet. I really doubt that there is only 2,6XX ix's in the US. Theres no way its that few. I just wish BMW would release those numbers, and I know a few people who have contacted them but they always refuse too. Oh well
    Last edited by davey101; 03-15-2010 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    '84 325e, '88 325iX

Exclamation How to make this work

The file is ~3.5MB and 300 pages in pdf. Whichever you prefer, I can send you my e-mail address or an FTP to your bimmerforums 'e-mail'.

Can one of the senior members actually upload and perma-post it onto your thread? I'm sure we can get Gordon's OK on that.

Thanks again for the posting, I've never had a better snow-mobile.

Regards,
    cf

UPDATE: Just got an e-mail reply from Gordon. He's okay with posting/distributing, as long as we reference his work appropriately. Thanks to Mr Gordon Haines and the iX registry. I'm going to add some headers/footers to some of the pages, so we can ensure he's credited. Otherwise, let me know what we can do to get this out to those who want it.
    Last edited by 29th light; 03-16-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    '84 325e "Hennarot"
    '88 325iX "Drei Eis"
    '71 911E "Neid Grün"

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '15 Fit EX MT
    can you email it to dave_donovan101@yahoo.com for me please? You or I could upload it on sendspace or another site and I'll post it on the first page. Thanks of course to Gordon. Glad to see that he's still cool with the ix's, I emailed him when I bought my car and IIRC he sold his ix

My Cars
    66 chevelle, 89 turbo.
    I would love a copy of that book. Who is in charge of it? Where do I send the $?

My Cars
    '84 325e, '88 325iX

Lightbulb Registry Newsletters

Davey, I just sent you the e-mail with the pdf attached. You'll have to be the 2nd guinea pig, and let me know how it prints.

ALLCON, If you have a way you'd prefer to receive this, just leave a message on the thread. I'll check it periodically and give it to whomever asks (free of charge, unless you want me to get it printed for you and mail it, then just enough to cover costs and postage).

I'll work on uploading it to a website and just posting the link, until then see above.

Regards,
    cf

I've added footers to the pages thanking Gordon Haines for the material. If you know him, drop him a line and thank him personally for generously donating the time to keep the registry operating (and to answer harassing e-mails from ambitious iX owners).
    Last edited by 29th light; 03-17-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    '84 325e "Hennarot"
    '88 325iX "Drei Eis"
    '71 911E "Neid Grün"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast