Thread: New owner saying hello

My Cars
    540i, Odyssey

New owner saying hello

Hi there,

I just bought a brand new (to me) '98 540i 6-speed. I've been wanting to get a bimmer for a while, as I wanted something fast, to make up for the bike I miss, and stylish, cause I'm shallow, and I found the right one for me, ie quick, sexy, and dirt cheap.

The major highlights are 130k miles, an almost complete lack of pixels in both displays (yeah I read about calling BMWNA etc), a passenger side wiper doesn't move (there is no resistance to free movement so a linkage to the motor must be gone, right?), airbag warning light on, broken driver seat-extension retraction button, intermittent steering wheel raising/lowering, and various paint and leather scuffs/chips (and obviously no cup holders). In other words nothing major aside from the air bags which I should fix (if what I read is correct about this meaning all bags will deploy in a crash!!).

I'm a shade tree mechanic, so I'll be asking ye for some help occasionally.

Any suggestions on how I should start with the airbag light? I took the car to an autoparts store to get the computer read and there were no codes, so that gave me no info about the airbag light. Should I remove the seats to see if the occupancy connectors are properly seated? If I fix it at this stage will the light go off or will it stay on until some sort of reset?

Thanks guys,
    Matthew

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    congrats on the car and welcome to bf.c sounds like you have some things to do right off the bat! good luck

2004 BMW 545i sport: current
    2005 Cadillac Escalade: sold
    2005 LR Range Rover: sold
    2006 Infiniti M45 sport: sold
    2001 BMW 540i sport: sold

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Congrats on the pick up.

Dont forget to read thru the sticky threads at the top of the main page... TONS of useful links, DIY's etc....
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '00 M5, '98 M3
    Welcome to the E39 subforum! Be sure to check out the write-ups on BMWTips.com for some helpful articles if you haven't already.

2000 BMW M5 (titanium silver metallic)| 1998 BMW M3 sedan (titanium silver metallic) | 2001 BMW 740i sport (titanium silver metallic) | 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 (victory red) | 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 LS (medium charcoal gray metallic) | 1998 AM General Hummer HMCO (competition yellow)

My Cars
    99 BMW 528iT
    welcome bro! make sure u get pics asap (i think its 20 posts?)

but there was a recall on some of the passenger seat occupancy sensors but it was only for 04+ cars (after our model yrs) but maybe that sensor is bad (of course check the connections first)