Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E30 to be entered at Thunderhill 24 hours of lemons this DEC!!!

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    You can DIY an alignment with strings and a ruler. Since all that's adjustable on the stock E30 is toe in the front, it's not even that much of a PITA. Measure the rear settings for fun. If it's way off, it may be worthwhile scheming for a correction. There are a surprising number of spec e30s that run stock bushings in the rear and go with whatever the car has as far as alignment.

Add a little bit of toe out up front, and turn in will be much better. I'm still trying to figure out how to get some camber up front on the cheap ... we may try to fab up our own static camber plates.

My Cars
    78' 320i
    hmmmm

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    We've been on the same thinking for camber...either fashion some static camber plates or try and pull the shock towers together somehow. Sledge hammer or ratcheting strap
    1987 528e/i stroker - S38 soon + Faustest Facebook Page

My Cars
    04 Mini Cooper S, 87
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsoff View Post
    We've been on the same thinking for camber...either fashion some static camber plates or try and pull the shock towers together somehow. Sledge hammer or ratcheting strap

does flipping the spring hats yeild the same camber gaint as it does on later BMW's?

If not might want to slot out the spring holes then find someone with a welder to patch things up so they don't move around if you don't care about the shock towers. otherwise you might be able to find an alignment shop that can bend the struts (very OG method to fix camber issues on car, if a shop can do it they will have a tool for it)

Greg - 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - tow mule / 1987 325is - weekend track rat

My Cars
    see sig
    I only just now figured out what you mean, rpob5t - switch them side-to-side...? We just finished the front end this weekend, and didn't even think about that. Oh well... Slotting is possible, I've heard, but not with the stock springs - too wide. We have looked seriously into strut bending, but we're not quite there yet. Let's see how she does after a nice suspension freshening. (Of course, it's never enough.)

The rear gave us a little more trouble than the front. Did you know you can't remove the passenger rear trailing arm without removing the gas tank fill hose? Did you know you shouldn't bother trying to pound the rear hub out of the wheel bearing with the RTA on the car - one guy holds the RTA in his arms, and the other hits, and instead of 500 swings of the BFH under the car you need only 10 standing up. Did you know the Pelican "DIY" article on changing rear wheel bearings doesn't actually say a single friggin' thing about pressing the new bearing in? We do...now.

Ah hell, it's all still so damn fun!

More to come...
    Tom

E93: 09 328 'vert [dd]
    E53: 03 X5 4.4i [tow]
    E36: 93 325is [track]
    E30: (LeMons) [R.I.P]

2nd Gen LS1 Camaro Build

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    Sorry for the delay to all...we have been busy under the car the last 2 weekends, and a few hours here and there mid week.

The suspension is done!!! We have M3 springs, new M3 oem suspension bushings, new KYB shocks (the used bilsteins I picked up were for different front housings - 4cyl), cool willies brake pads, new brake fuid, new rear wheel bearings, new RTAB 's.

The car handles like a dream...we pulled the bigger swaybar off the convertible donor car (21mm vs 18.5mm) and the 3 spoke steering wheel (worth 2 seconds per lap for sure!). We picked up a set of azenis for the 14 inch basketweaves for th sake of budget. We were going to go for 15inch to 205 or 225's, but the budget has been used up....the entry fees are $1350, and the cage will be another 1200-1400.

The last thing to do is sell the interior. I will be posting a new thread in the for sale section later tonight. Then safety equipment, hit up some test n tunes and give it a sexy spraypaint job.

Last edited by 2wheelsoff; 11-02-2008 at 02:08 PM.

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    Looking good! Where are you going for a cage? I'm trying to sort that out for my car now ... and it's not turning out to be very budget friendly.

back to stripping insulation for me ...

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    Most likely a kirk racing weld in cage...the other less expensive option is a bolt in autopower. The weld in is similar price to kirk's I had one in an RX-7 many years ago, and I loved the fitment. Installation was one day, and an hour and half at the welder. I didn't need to grind or file anything down. Either way you want to order it now as it will take 4-5 weeks to get it in. Autopwer dealers have an expidited service that costs an extra $100 and take 2 weeks (suposedly)

Are you pulling off the tar in the trunk?

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    Some fun work pics of the car:

rear brake cooling dustguards:

Cutom 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch adaptor....after we bent our breaker bar trying to get off the hub nuts:

Taking apart struts for the new inserts and springs:

RTAB's and rear bearings:

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    Most likely a kirk racing weld in cage...the other less expensive option is a bolt in autopower. The weld in is similar price to kirk's I had one in an RX-7 many years ago, and I loved the fitment. Installation was one day, and an hour and half at the welder. I didn't need to grind or file anything down. Either way you want to order it now as it will take 4-5 weeks to get it in. Autopwer dealers have an expidited service that costs an extra $100 and take 2 weeks (suposedly)
    I've seen the autopower and while it's sufficient, it's not nearly as nice as a custom weld in. Maybe this is my inner racing snob coming through? Maybe the Kirk Racing is better?

Of all of my inquiries, Evil Genius sounds the best for me thus far. They have a "you weld in" pre-bent spec e30 kit for $600. I've gotta call them this week and get a quote for what it'll cost in the "I drop it off and come back to find a caged car" route. The other quote I got ($1600) was a little too high brow for a beater possibly-single-race car.

Are you pulling off the tar in the trunk?
    I've considered not pulling it to preserve some f/r balance. This is a pretty common strategy in spec e30 b/c it's "easy" to get down to min weight, so the extra in the rear is where you want it. For LeMons, with no min weight, I'm gonna pull it and we'll deal with it if the car's handling sucks. Worst case, I'll put a water filled spare tire back there

We'll probably go with azenis on the bottlecaps as well. I'm guessing we can make it through the race on one set, but I'm planning to have a full set of spares "just in case". Speaking of spares, we should assemble an E30 paddock area to pool resources. Somebody's car is going to break.

We plan to hit up THill on Nov 22,23 with TEAM Racing for a shake down.

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    The insulation in the passenger compartment was 13lbs. The trunk insulation was 45lbs

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    holy cow....over 50lbs of tar?!Well done....we think the back is too light for the m3 springs on our initial road test, but willwait to get it on the track for the final decision. How long did it take you?

Definately down for having an e30 paddock...we will bring whatever spare parts we have.

Trying to figure out what our rear end vibration is...it comes on about 65-70 mph and gets worse with speed. goes away a little on heavy acceleration/decceleration. You feel it the most when you put your hand on the hump the center bearing is mounted on...we have new rear wheel bearings so that can't it. I am thinking the rear end is dead or we have a driveshaft issue.

My Cars
    '95 m3, spec e30
    holy cow....over 50lbs of tar?!Well done....we think the back is too light for the m3 springs on our initial road test, but willwait to get it on the track for the final decision. How long did it take you?
    Probably 3 hours total. Heat gun + putty knife and the tar pulls up in sheets. Wear disposable gloves, as it's a little sticky/messy.

Trying to figure out what our rear end vibration is...it comes on about 65-70 mph and gets worse with speed. goes away a little on heavy acceleration/decceleration. You feel it the most when you put your hand on the hump the center bearing is mounted on...we have new rear wheel bearings so that can't it. I am thinking the rear end is dead or we have a driveshaft issue.
    You're guessing what I'd guess too. Unfortunately, a bad driveshaft is a PITA to debug.

Thumbs up

Definately down for having an e30 paddock...we will bring whatever spare parts we have.
    Count us in for e30 pad! :-) We should hit Porcubimmer folks up as well.
    Not to get everybody excited, but I'm currently working out the logistics of bringing the entire parts car.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325e - The Porcubimmer!
    Porcubimmer checking in here, and yeah, we'd love to pit with other E30 guys to share parts and help. I've only run the Altamont race and there pit space is at a premium and you basically have to park where they tell you, but hopefully at Thunderhill we'll be able to pick where we want to pit.

We thought our team was on the home stretch as far as race prep goes, until this happened.... well never mind, I can't post a #$%^#$%^ing link. Go to the E30 board and look for my post.
    Porcubimmer.com - 24 Hours of LeMons Racer

My Cars
    see sig
    Dude that sucks.

Here's a link to your other post: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1112847

Send me a link to your pic and I'll post it on that post.

Wish I had any idea what happened.
    Tom

2nd Gen LS1 Camaro Build

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by thesalboy View Post
    Dude that sucks.

Send me a link to your pic and I'll post it on that post.

Wish I had any idea what happened.
    Man, they sure cripple the ability of newbs on this forum. I can't even PM you, heh.

My Cars
    see sig
    Emailed you my email. I think you need 5 posts, maybe 10 to unlock your account.
    Tom

2nd Gen LS1 Camaro Build

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by thesalboy View Post
    Emailed you my email. I think you need 5 posts, maybe 10 to unlock your account.
    Replied, thanks.

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    Coolio! We would love company..as stuff will break....Hopefully they will let pick spots in the paddock.

Porubimmer team....that really sucks about your position pin, in true 24hrs of lemons spirit....can you just duct tape it back on?

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    OK...I have finally compiled the pics and prices and the FOR SALE post is up!!!!!

Come spend our hard earned money! Inherited $1billion bucks??? spend a few on stuff you may not need but that need to be in your garage!

check it!
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1115938

My Cars
    Coolio! We would love company..as stuff will break....Hopefully they will let pick spots in the paddock.

Porubimmer team....that really sucks about your position pin, in true 24hrs of lemons spirit....can you just duct tape it back on?
    Lord I wish we could. I really don't want to pull that damn transmission out again.

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3

1st track day for our ride!!!

We took Sylvia to Buttonwillow for a test and tune Friday. She perfomed incredibly! The M3 springs rock though you can still see she leans like a wallowing pig. We still need to figure out the fine tuning of the suspension...our only adjustments are toe and we added some inboard holes in the swaybar so we can stiffen up the front a little.
    PICS:

Following our ride it looks like it the cabin is completely filled by helmet!

My Cars
    84 332is GTS 3 car-NASA
    Hey guys, Glad to hear someone else building a racer! Tires: keep in mind that the larger diameter you go the better top end you have. Smaller diameter the car is quicker. I recommend a 15" tire. It's a good all around size. Also if your near a track you may be able to score some free throw away race tires. A lot of higher powered and or wealthier owned cars give up they're tires before they're completely used up. A lower horse car won't burn em up so much. If you do they can be grooved like a rain tire and these may pass inspection. Thats what I have on my car. (check my photo album) Glass: Good idea to save weight by replacing the glass but going to plexi I don't recommend. Plexi will yellow over time and is more prone to craze (sort of mini cracking and or spider webbing). Air craft windshields do this over a period of time. Use Lexan instead. It wont yellow and it wont craze as easily. Windshield: Keep the windshield. It will resist being sandblasted better than plexi or Lexan especially if your endurance racing. Best of luck guys!

My Cars
    1986 325e Lemon!, E3
    Thanks for th suggestions...the tires we have to use 200 treadwear rated or better tire so nothing too aggressive. We are planning for rear quarter windows to get changed... I'll look for lexan.

332i? 3.2 motor in an e30?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast