Thread: 1996 M3 Turbo V3 Build Thread

My Cars
    2001 540i/6

1996 M3 Turbo V3 Build Thread

Since I never really had a "build thread" the first time around, mostly because it wasn't a very exciting build IMHO, I decided to do a "rebuild" thread on the second iteration of my turbo M3. This all came about because I was unable to sell the car for any decent money (not even a nibble at 17k!) so screw it, I'll keep it and turn it into the street car I want it to be. This "rebuild" will encompass changing some stuff mostly.

Basically:

Stock S52 w/ Undercut 10mm ARPs & .140 HG ---> 84.5mm Bore/S52crank/Eagles/Wiseco 9.0:1/10mm ARP2K Studs/Stock HG
    Pantera EFI 882C ECU ---> Autronic SM4
    .63 T3 exhaust housing ---> .82 exhaust housing (SC6176E)

I am also going to change my IC piping to a high run config so I can run an under panel, hook up my scavenge pump, and nail down a few other odds and ends.

I will be retaining my AA IC core (for now), AA T3 manifold (for now), and current fuel setup (walbro, 55lb, for now).

After building the engine I eventually want to goto a T4 based PT67, but I do not have the cash to build an engine and buy the fuel system/turbo system now. I will be shooting for around 550whp on the SC61. The rest of the build will have to come in stages later.

I already have a block on the way (M50NV) and as soon as I get my E30 sold will be ordering the rest of the pieces to get this started.

Any input on the engine build before I get started (I have never built a piston engine) is greatly appreciated, or any other concerns. Hopefully lots of pretty pictures from namike's DSLR will follow as things progress slowly. I didn't want to make a thread until I actually got started, but the forum was hurting for non-argumentative content, so I started it.
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Hahah won't let me edit the title, but it was brought to my attention that this is actually version 4.0 as I did have a blower on the car at one point.
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 + Turbo
    Show some SM4 love in da club!

Since I'm sure there are not a lot of people who have seen an Autronic up and close, I figured I'd toss up a few pictures. The one end of the box has the connector for the main harness, status LED, the barb for the internal 4.4BAR MAP sensor, and also the 1/8" mini plug that you plug the 9 pin serial adapter into.
    Michael J. Gallagher
    Pensacola, Florida
    1999 BMW 328is Dedicated Track Car - JRZ RS One, 3 clutch 3.64 LSD, BW Exhaust, NLR Wing, HD Motorsports splitter, AIM PDM32/SmartyCam3, 2850lbs with driver+fuel

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Badass!! I look forward to the update!

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    As I am about to begin taking my car down, I wonder if it would be worth it to goto a 67mm/T3 hybrid. I really want a full t4 67 down the road, I just can't swing the manifold and the engine build all at once.

What say ye BF.C FI at large? Is the 67mm just too much compressor for a tiny .82 T3 hotside? My gut tells me yes....but....
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Dude, you know the drill. Pics or GTFO.

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Pics of SM4 above. Pics of erretang else when I get it.
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6

My Cars
    95 Alpine M3, 2000 Wrangler Sport
    Woo Hoo! A new build thread. Let's not destroy this one with pointless bickering and let the man do his thing. Subscribed.
    "If one truly wants something, obtaining it becomes a mere matter of time"
    BMWCCA MEMBER #341980

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    I like the new sig

Looks like a nice build, how much power do you want/ultimate goal? I wish i had the time and money to do more...Good luck and keep us posted. FI is so addicting
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I think everyone has seen an Autronic up close! Go Aussies!
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by stanksbeamen View Post
    I like the new sig

Looks like a nice build, how much power do you want/ultimate goal? I wish i had the time and money to do more...Good luck and keep us posted. FI is so addicting
    The SC61 should give me atleast 550rw, maybe a little more with some race gas? Currently the car makes ~ 415rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics (~450rwhp on a DJ) at 14psi.

Eventually I would like to hit 700rwhp with the full T4 PT67. Who knows if that will ever be a reality though.
    Daniel Rogers
    2001 540i/6