Thread: Former E36 owner... looking at E90

Former E36 owner... looking at E90

Hey all,

I'm a former owner of an E36 M3 (1995, bought used in 2000 @ 69k). Best car I've ever owned, but had to trade it in for something more reliable before it went kaput (2003 IS300 5spd).

Since then, age has brought me to the realization that RWD is not a responsible as a New England daily driver. In consideration: 2006 330xi, or 2007+ 335xi. I could swing either, but the 335 would likely have to wait until next spring.

I feel like the 330 will deliver power at least equal to my E36 (which had "240hp"), which seems adequate given my urban commute. However, I love the idea of a factory turbo, and don't believe that BMW's turbo is going to create reliability issues.

That said - how big a difference is the power? Would I be just as happy in an E90 330xi, perhaps with with some light mods?

All comments appreciated.

-K

My Cars
    A BMW
    Have you driven both? If you haven't the 330xi will do you just fine... If you have you'll notice a differene between the two...

I have driven a 335 and now own a 330... Mostly because I wanted a CPO and priced right, but at the same time I don't drive around all day saying "damn, wish I could have swung that 335"...

Coming out of your M3 you'll find the E90 a completely different animal - especially with AWD... Comparing Apples and Oranges Really... And if you liked the powerband on the M3 you'll likely like the powerband on the 330 just fine...

And the 335 is only 35 HP more than the 330... Not THAT big a difference in the grand scheme of things...

My Cars
    07 335i Sedan- Alpine White/Black/Alum
    all i know is i love my 335. and id rather drive it than my dads e39 m5. and i havent put an SSTT in it yet ::evil laugh::
    [me]2007 E90 335i
    Alpine White/Black Leather/Aluminum
    ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, NAV, SAT, CA, Shades

[mom] 2006 E65 750i
    Jet Black/Black/Dark Ash
    ZSP, CA, Convenience, Luxury Seating, Rear Entertainment, Premium Sound, 21" BMW Star Spokes, Shades, SAT, HD Radio.

[dad] 2003 E39 M5
    Carbon Black/Caramel Full Leather/Wood
    M Audio

My Cars
    E92 335xi, E38sport
    the 335 will bemore likely to put that grin on your face. Worth it

My Cars
    '10 E90 M3
    Coming from an E36 M3 myself (3 actually), I am pretty happy with my 330xi. However, the car just doesn't feel very fast. With the E36, you could just punch it, and it would take off. The E90 however, feels like there is some delay between mashing the pedal and the power being delivered. Also, while we are talking performance, the stock xi suspension leaves a lot to be desired, and I really mean a lot. A nice set of coilovers can solve that problem quickly, and I'm sure that would make the car 100% more fun to drive as well.

When all is said and done, I love my E90, but, I find myself wanting my E36 back. Well, if it was under warranty, didn't need thousands of dollars worth of work, and had <50k miles I'm sure someday down the road, I will come across another E36 M3, but for now, I am satisfied. The E90 is a sweet ride!

This is totally OT, but I thought I was bad with my post count, man OP, you've been here since '01 and only have 30 something posts!
    Current Whips: 10 E90 ///M3 - 04 GMC Sierra CCSB - 19 VW Atlas

Past BMW's:
    85 325 - 87 325is M-Tech 1 - 91 318is S50 swapped - 91 318i 'vert
    97 M3/2 - 98 M3/4/5 (Alpine/Modena) - 98 M3/2 - 98 M3/4 (Dakar)
    06 330xi - 09 335i

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Why isn't RWD good in NE? I'm from there and since it may snow 14 days a year...good snow tires will make you forget you can use AWD.

Thanks for the replies.

@cabin: Yeah, I'm quite the lurker, eh?

@NHskibm: I run Dunlop Winter Sports, which are average winter tires, but they can't help you through a really bad storm. There was a near-apocalyptic snowstorm earlier this year - I-95 was strewn with abandoned cars in every lane. Twice (both times at small hills) I almost got stuck and would have had to abandon my car - a feeling I never want to experience again.

Seems like I'd be happy with either one - with a 335xi I'll be in love with the power, but I can likely afford a more optioned-out 330xi. And since I'm trying to pick one up on the used market, I'll likely be supply-limited (unless I can convince my wife that we should buy new). Certainly, I should start going on some test drives.

Thanks again for the feedback - I'm looking forward to rejoining the bimmer fraternity.

My Cars
    1995 325
    I'm considering an E90 in the near future, not the XI though. When I drove the 328 vs. the 335 there was quite a bit of difference in linear power delivery. Are you looking for and auto or manual trans? Because that plays a huge factor in the fun aspect.

My Cars
    E46 330i ZSP
    The 335 is not that much quicker than the 330 (only by about .8 second). However, you get max torque at such a low RPM it's insane! I can't speak for the turbos since they are still new but if you could swing for the 335 then you should do it. Going from the E36 M3 to a 330i is fine but the 335 will put a smile on your face.

email : bryan@jlevisw.com | tel : 1.888.553.8479 x85 | aim : bryanatjsw

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

My Cars
    08 335i, 08 Yukon Denali XL, 02 F-150
    I drove a 335i today and I'm waiting for the dealer to bring one in for me!

It's not a 600hp Cobra but it does ride so much smoother.

My Cars
    A BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    Coming from an E36 M3 myself (3 actually), I am pretty happy with my 330xi. However, the car just doesn't feel very fast. With the E36, you could just punch it, and it would take off. The E90 however, feels like there is some delay between mashing the pedal and the power being delivered. Also, while we are talking performance, the stock xi suspension leaves a lot to be desired, and I really mean a lot. A nice set of coilovers can solve that problem quickly, and I'm sure that would make the car 100% more fun to drive as well.

When all is said and done, I love my E90, but, I find myself wanting my E36 back. Well, if it was under warranty, didn't need thousands of dollars worth of work, and had <50k miles I'm sure someday down the road, I will come across another E36 M3, but for now, I am satisfied. The E90 is a sweet ride!

This is totally OT, but I thought I was bad with my post count, man OP, you've been here since '01 and only have 30 something posts!
    Remember that your E36 M3 (S52) has 240hp... The 330xi has 265hp... However both of those numbers are at the crank. The rear diffs are different (the M being a higher geared LSD) and the drivetrain loss on the xi is more than an M3 (or any i) and thus at the wheels you are looking at roughly the same HP... Comparing an AWD to a RWD is pretty much apples to oranges, especially to an M car...

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Why isn't RWD good in NE? I'm from there and since it may snow 14 days a year...good snow tires will make you forget you can use AWD.
    14 days? Guess you didn't read about last year's epic Winter And I believe a good drive with some good snows can rock RWD in NH... when I was truly a ski bum in northern NH I had a RWD 325i parked outside the trailer (with blizzaks of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Kordos View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

@cabin: Yeah, I'm quite the lurker, eh?

@NHskibm: I run Dunlop Winter Sports, which are average winter tires, but they can't help you through a really bad storm. There was a near-apocalyptic snowstorm earlier this year - I-95 was strewn with abandoned cars in every lane. Twice (both times at small hills) I almost got stuck and would have had to abandon my car - a feeling I never want to experience again.

Seems like I'd be happy with either one - with a 335xi I'll be in love with the power, but I can likely afford a more optioned-out 330xi. And since I'm trying to pick one up on the used market, I'll likely be supply-limited (unless I can convince my wife that we should buy new). Certainly, I should start going on some test drives.

Thanks again for the feedback - I'm looking forward to rejoining the bimmer fraternity.
    Honestly I think you'll be happy with a 330i/xi... Plus if you can find one with sport package and cold weather I think you'll be really happy... but to compare an e90 to an e36 is pretty tough.. even a non-M E36 will feel 'sportier'. The E90 is an awesome car and 'sneaky' fast but it doesn't connect you to the road like an older BMW...

Quote Originally Posted by 325west View Post
    I'm considering an E90 in the near future, not the XI though. When I drove the 328 vs. the 335 there was quite a bit of difference in linear power delivery. Are you looking for and auto or manual trans? Because that plays a huge factor in the fun aspect.
    Definitely manual, without question.

My Cars
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny@Jlevi SW View Post
    The 335 is not that much quicker than the 330 (only by about .8 second). However, you get max torque at such a low RPM it's insane! I can't speak for the turbos since they are still new but if you could swing for the 335 then you should do it. Going from the E36 M3 to a 330i is fine but the 335 will put a smile on your face.
    So so true! Current E36 M3 owner here and got to take a friends 08 335xi around for a bit this morning, and WOW! When that power kicked in and pulled you into the seat it was a world of difference from my E36 M3. I am pretty sure that a 335i will be my next purchase. That would be the only thing I would change on the one I drove this morning, not really into the xi version, RWD all the way!