Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My friends and I take on Top Gear with our own film w/ E36

My Cars
    flying nazi rust box
    Anybody else feel the want for a little fiat to screw around in now?

My Cars
    318is
    I don't care what kind of car I screw in as long as the chic is hot.
    I like small engines, so what!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I think roads out by Highway 58 are the best. 229 is nuts, and there are a bunch of other nice roads.

My Cars
    98' 740il
    has anybody been from carmel to monterey?

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature..._America.shtml

that should do you good

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    how did the neon beat out the e36 at anything?

My Cars
    '06 STi
    not bad at all, glad to see the final result. In all honesty, you guys should keep at it, just try not to try so hard. What i like about the topgear challenges is you really get to see the presenters being real, or so it feels.

Some of the commentary was a little simplistic, but all in all a good little production.

I would love to see more ultimate driving roads across the us in different cool but cheep cars, and you should consider doing so in the future.

My Cars
    01 S4 2+,97 M3rip,86 944
    Awesomeee
    Daniel

Alpine White 1998 M3/4/5 - - 1 of 166
    Mods: AFE Cai, Shark Injector, UUC catback, Front Subframe X-Brace, H&R coilovers, CDV delete & Depo headlights

2001 Audi S4 Saloon Stage 2+ Gone, but never forgotten
    Mods: Apr bi-pipe, Apr software, Apr full tbe, Bailey DV's, Brembo 355 BBK, Stainless lines, M3 lip spoiler, Stasis/Koni Coilovers & RS4 front clip

Alpine White 1997 M3/4/5 - RIP - 1 of 258
    Mods: J. Conforti Cai, Shark Injector, Euro Front rotors, Front Subframe X-Brace, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, CDV delete & ZKW headlights
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
    If Bin Laden had boobs OT would have found him and it would not have taken 10 years.

My Cars
    09 VW GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by amdspitfire View Post
    how did the neon beat out the e36 at anything?
    Ha! Well first, it was able to get poorer mileage despite being considerably lighter and having two fewer cylinders... then it beat the BMW in San Francisco but that really came down to the driving strategy and not the car. The only real loss I see for the E36 was losing to the ACR in the rally. And even then the times were really, really close!

I chalk it up to the ACR being able to put more of its power to the ground on the soft surface. You could tell in the film the BMW was sliding around a lot and not gaining traction when it needed to be. The ACR on the other hand didn't slide too much and the driver was able to really be on the power.

Both cars were on crap street tires, and I think putting better tires on the BMW or even just airing down the ones that were on there could have closed that gap. Even with off-road tires on both cars, I'd give the BMW a chance since it had way more torque than the ACR. If it could get that power down, it should be the faster of the two.

But under the conditions in which we ran the cars, it wasnt.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    My friends and I wanted to do a spin off the "cheap car challenges" but alas, we're just meager college students barely able to afford our own repairs.

Damn you people with money! <-it's the jealousy talking

Oh yeah, and yours looks pretty decent. Good job!
    Last edited by Rallyincali; 02-19-2009 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3 ZCP, Model S P90D
    I'm the moderator for Top Gear, i saw your thread there too. That video was pretty well put together - great job.

My Cars
    09 VW GTI
    Top Gear UK put us on one of their blogs!

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.co.../15/tg-homage/

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
    Top Gear UK put us on one of their blogs!

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.co.../15/tg-homage/

Not bad guys, only problem I noticed was audio. Not sure what your mic setup was, but maybe boom one next time.

and lol hahahaa at the person that said it was missing Jeremy & Richard, but it has James... infact 3 of them so true
    Last edited by Bsaint; 03-25-2009 at 05:10 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    FAIL.

You guys are not nearly as ugly, fat or short as the guys on top Gear.

Just kidding of course, just about the FAIL part though . Sounds like it was fun.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    09 VW GTI
    So we finally got around to shooting another one of these. Unfortunately, no BMWs this time, but check out the teaser here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4WNCGBOfXY[/ame]

My Cars
    Silver BMW

top gear is that good

its the best. They even have another show in England called 5th gear. its made by a bloke that i believe came from the top gear team. so fellas, I admire your wanting to do a film ala "top gear" but it would be rather more interesting if you just did your own thing.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 733i
    I have the feeling those were all your daily drivers and to spoof their "cheap car challenge" you made a budgetof US $5000???? They usually have a budget of 1000 to 1500 pounds, which is just over $2000, but they dont use their own cars. Well, they have used their own cars, James may drove his Fiat Panda for about 20 seconds before he drove the Pagani Zonda F roadster and Jeremy Clarkson drove his Ford GT in HIS OWN greatest road in teh world hunt, he also drove his SL AMG for a short stint but those were both amazing cars. So back to my question. Did you gentleman just make a video with your own daily drivers or did you spend $15,000 and only get one good car and a spoof video??????

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
    Ha! Well first, it was able to get poorer mileage despite being considerably lighter and having two fewer cylinders... then it beat the BMW in San Francisco but that really came down to the driving strategy and not the car. The only real loss I see for the E36 was losing to the ACR in the rally. And even then the times were really, really close!

I chalk it up to the ACR being able to put more of its power to the ground on the soft surface. You could tell in the film the BMW was sliding around a lot and not gaining traction when it needed to be. The ACR on the other hand didn't slide too much and the driver was able to really be on the power.

Both cars were on crap street tires, and I think putting better tires on the BMW or even just airing down the ones that were on there could have closed that gap. Even with off-road tires on both cars, I'd give the BMW a chance since it had way more torque than the ACR. If it could get that power down, it should be the faster of the two.

But under the conditions in which we ran the cars, it wasnt.
    Its just like top gear they had an E24 635csi that lost to a toyota front wheel drive and a piss poor jag V12 running on 9 cylinders. The toyota had a small turbo at first but still they disected the old BMW.
    Last edited by CLASSactBMW; 01-18-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan Tu
    Great Video teasers

My Cars
    '22 X3
    on they way out the door but I'll def be watching this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123