Thread: Piston to cylinder wall clearances for forged pistons

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE

Piston to cylinder wall clearances for forged pistons

Hello. I have just received Wiseco forged pistons for my engine and I would like to get to know what clearances between pistons and cylinder walls I should do. Wiseco suggests 0.0030” on the paper I got. I’m going to boost max 1.0bar and drive the car daily after rebuilding the engine. Sometimes a few races on a track. What clearances did you do in your BMWs? I know that Wiseco gave me a suggested clearance, but for example JE or CP gives you a few suggested clearances for different setups. Wiseco gave only one, that is why, I would like to read about yours. Thanks in advance for your help.

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    I followed the Wiseco suggestions/paper on mine and they are working great so far. Just a bit piston slap at mornings but nothing like a diesel engine noise for sure.
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    e36 GT35 Turbo
    I took my 87mm Wisecos and block to a reputable machine shop (scca, imports, good ole boys you name it) and the machinist asked me for the clearance spec paper. I handed to him and went from there. I installed my rings according to the FI spec numbers for gap and I just did a compression spec a few days ago after about 1000 miles and everything was rock solid.

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Just be careful with this as I have a Honda friend that has had his pistons expand quite a bit leading to block and piston damage.

My Cars
    F80, E36, X3"M"
    We set the CP pistons to 0.0035” as the spec sheet recommends.
    97 M3 - 8.94@164 - 8 sec street machine, all BMW driveline, factory ECU
    02 M3 - 9.74@145 - Maximum PSI stage 2 turbo kit, stock motor, factory ECU
    16 M3 - 9.3@151 - Built motor/twins
    15 M3 - 9.2@162 - Built motor/single turbo/Ecutek
    BMW SOB's turbo E30 - 8.72@158.39
    follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi - instagram.com/maximumpsi

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    Ok. Thanks guy for answers. What about piston rings clearances? Didnt get any information about them from the Wiseco.
    I also have question to you with regard to the Wiseco piston. Stock BMW pistons have arrows and those arrows must be pointing towards camshaft drive while installing. I can’t find any marks on the Wiseco piston. Is there a difference which side of the Wiseco piston will point towards camshaft sprockets?

My Cars
    BMW 325is Turbocharged - Jeep Cherokee 4.6L Stroke
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleckis View Post
    Ok. Thanks guy for answers. What about piston rings clearances? Didnt get any information about them from the Wiseco.
    I also have question to you with regard to the Wiseco piston. Stock BMW pistons have arrows and those arrows must be pointing towards camshaft drive while installing. I can’t find any marks on the Wiseco piston. Is there a difference which side of the Wiseco piston will point towards camshaft sprockets?

Mine didn't come either, so I followed BMW stock clearance for rings. I dunno about the pistons for the 4 valve x cyl. but if the valve pockets has the same size overall, I would say you can install in any way...but the gurus about this should chime here.
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

My Cars
    BMWs
    Yes theres a difference depending on your piston. There should be a dot showing the front.

You can see the mark in my pics here:

My Cars
    86' 325es/90' 325i; M3 Turbo & 00' Si = gone
    Or as simple as big valve relief goes on the intake side, small one for the exhaust side.

My Cars
    BMWs
    that too

My Cars
    E36 1JZGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by StreuB1 View Post
    Or as simple as big valve relief goes on the intake side, small one for the exhaust side.

I want to be sure. Are valve pockets I marked in the picture for intake valves?
    I don't know why I don't have any arrows or dots on my pistons. I looked them very precisely.
    Could you post here for me your piston rings clearances? I would be appreciate.

My Cars
    yes

I want to be sure. Are valve pockets I marked in the picture for intake valves?
    I don't know why I don't have any arrows or dots on my pistons. I looked them very precisely.
    Could you post here for me your piston rings clearances? I would be appreciate.
    Yes..larger pockets are the intake side. Ring gap is determined by type, use and cylinder bore diameter.....here ya go.

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

Don

My Cars
    02 corvette roadster
    accurateengines@yahoo.com here is a something about end gap that i learned long ago naturally asperated is .004 per inch of bore 4.00 bore is .016 end gap forced induction add aproximately .002 per inch of bore depending on how much boost and piston manufacter Piston to wall as a machinest you add at least .001 clearance to what manufcture of piston calls for. On the end gap we all need to be aware alittle to much is way better than not enough it will break the piston if there is not enough clearance and I have seen it happen same mentality on the piston does anyone know how much a piston grows when heated up to 500 degree I do Guess and email me
    Last edited by Mike Kolbet; 02-17-2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: forgot to give email adress

My Cars
    BMWs
    Thank you for bumping a thread from 2008.

Seriously - thank you.

My Cars
    532i Turbo, E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post

Seriously - thank you.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Jon, where's the snow man?

Seriously, where the snow?

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    LOL

I do have a question for the pros; the pistons look like they have a few sharp edges, has anyone experience detonation or "hot spots" with this piston or piston design? Would this be a problem in a high hp FI s50/52?

Seriously - thank you.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    LOL

I do have a question for the pros; the pistons look like they have a few sharp edges, has anyone experience detonation or "hot spots" with this piston or piston design? Would this be a problem in a high hp FI s50/52?
    No they won't be a problem. Burrs will cause a hot spot but a sharp edge won't. Actually the sharp edges have a dramatic effect on fuel atomisation which prevents detonation.

here is a Dart Iron Eagle sbc head out of the box on a wet flow bench

Here's after a few of hours of carefully reshaping the chamber by hand.

These were 200cc old style Iron Eagles. When done these heads flowed a bit over 300cfm with only a 210cc port and they made 550hp on a 355 with only 10:1 compression and a small hydrolic flat tappet like 230 duration @ .050". Wolf in sheeps clothing.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Cool, thanks!

My Cars
    98 cosmo m3

Seriously - thank you.
    don't be so negative

My Cars
    2004 BMW ZHP, E36 track
    I just read it and save a spot in 2019 so...