Thread: Parking brake button repair

My Cars
    1988 325iX coupe

Parking brake button repair

All,
    This seems so simple, but the button on my parking / emergency brake is depressed in and won't come out. As such, it won't hold the e-brake handle up. If I hold the brake handle up the brake engages, so it appears to just be the button. I took the leather cover off to have a quick look and didn't see any obvious way to fix it, so I figured I'd come on here and ask the experts.

This has been broken for a while and I haven't minded, as I just leave the car in gear when parked, but today I was running into 7-11 to grab a soda and wanted to keep the car running, but the parking lot was slanted, so I had to turn the car off and put it in gear. Not a big deal but I thought I'd fix it this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Either the spring that keeps tension outward on that button is missing/broken/squashed, or there's gunk in there keeping it from coming back out.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I don't see any instructions on taking the handle grip off to get at the button, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport

Cool

If your e-brake handle is designed the same as mine in my 00 E46 323i than the answer is realitively simple. If you think of your e-brake handle as a firearm with the muzzle facing the dashboard then on the underside of the barrel near where it connects to the vehicle you will find a trigger. This trigger is supposed to function by opening and closing when you use your e-brake, the problem is the your trigger is still in the open position and if you run your hand down the handle you should be able to pop the trigger back into being engaged. It took me about two weeks to figure this out. Just my two and half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    1988 325iX coupe
    It seems I might be missing the trigger then. I ran my hands all over the handle and could see where something should catch the ratchet type things on the base, but didn't see where there was something I could pop or push back into position. I will give it another look this afternoon.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

My Cars
    325i
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I went into straight panic mode after my handbrake would not stay engaged. I quickly looked up what to do and it took me a minute to do exactly what you said. I never respond or post anything, but i am truly thankful and wanted you to know

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Geeee, it had never dawned ever on me to imagine in my 'E46' BMW emergency brake lever as an assault weapon??????????...and with a 'kim Jong Un' style trigger!

What's all this stuff in people lately? ......What the hell is going on?
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-17-2017 at 04:40 PM.