Thread: HELP: I think i just paied $400 for some angel eyes...

My Cars
    96' 300zx

HELP: I think i just paied $400 for some angel eyes...

I feel really stupid writeing this, but everyone makes mistakes and hopefuly...i get this resolved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190242588413

I reread the auction over, and over before i won. And i guess i was thinking they were selling full headlights. The part in the item description that made me think they are headlights, was "These are two brand-new Hella Angel eyes with amber turn signals for the BMW e39, from 2001-2003."

And for 400, thats alot for just angel eyes, so it made me think they were headlights even more...

When a friend looked at the auction, he said "Your paying 400 for angel eyes?!"

Thats when it came to my head....did i just pay that much for some angel eyes?

I emailed the seller, asking if the auction is for full headlight units, so hopefuly he responds with a YES, and if a NO, i hope hes a honest seller that wont give me bullshit.

If he IS a asshole, is there anything i can do to try and get my money back through ebay/paypal?

Thanks
    -Q

The most fun you can have with your clothes on.

My Cars
    02 540iT Sport, 96 993
    It looks to me like they are the full headlight housings, but he says that they are missing the ballasts, so I'm guessing they are xenons. Do you have xenons now? Cause if you don't, you're gonna need to buy some ballasts.
    Mike
    '02 Titanium Silver 540iT Sport - Birch Anthracite trim, retrofitted window shades, DJ Auto Euro clear corner lenses, BSW t110 subwoofer, Dice Silverline w/DSP, lowering links. Lots of upgrades waiting in the garage for time to install
    '96 Polar Silver Porsche Carrera - MY02 5 spokes, Bilstein PSS9s, Euro TT Sways, KLA Strut bar, Big Red TT Brakes, RS Motor Mounts, RS Shift kit, Recaro A8s, FVD 360mm wheel, HIDs, Big Oval tips

My Cars
    To many to list
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzilla View Post
    It looks to me like they are the full headlight housings, but he says that they are missing the ballasts, so I'm guessing they are xenons. Do you have xenons now? Cause if you don't, you're gonna need to buy some ballasts.
    +1

My Cars
    2000 M5 & 2000 540i sport
    Under what circumstance would you consider the seller an A-hole? You bought whatever you bought.

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    I highlighted some significant parts of the item description:

"These are two brand-new Hella Angel eyes with amber turn signals for the BMW e39, from 2001-2003. As circled in red in the above picture they are each missing the ballast. These are replacements for your current angel eyes if the lens is hazed or broken as well as any other part of the headlight. All you need to do is take the ballast from your original and transfer it over. They come with all new bulbs and everything is just out of a box and has never been on a car."

Strictly angel eyes - the glowing rings ONLY - would not come with amber turn signals, lenses, or a place to mount ballasts.

Looks to me like you bought headlights, and for a damn good price considering that they haven't been mounted on a car yet. Shoot, even for used headlights that's a good deal. The seller is just using "angel eyes" and "headlights" interchangeably. Your friend who got confused, then got you confused, that is all. But hey I'll refund you the $400 if you wanna send them my way...

My Cars
    02 M5
    Looks to me like you bought the whole headlight assys, you should be alright.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    it looks like halogen headlights because of the blub ... why would it be missing the brackets .. i might be wrong .. you still the AE harness to light the rings ..

1998 540IA Arctic Silver, OEM M-Tech Bumpers, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, MKII Motorsport 18x8.5 and 18x10, M5 Style Mirrors, ACS Style Trunk and Roof Spoiler, OEM Hella Xenon Headlights 4300k blubs, Slim HID 3K Projector Fogs, Euro Hella Celis Taillights, OEM M5 Kidney Grill, 35% tint, magnaflow 18415

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    wtf are you smoking is a better question?

anyone with common sense would see that he is selling headlights and is showing u that its the amber version not the euro version. they are missing the ballast but those ballasts are useless for your car anyway...

i cant see whats so confusing.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    those are halogens, and yet even for halogens thats a good price I think

Reason I say I think, because I never liked newer style Hellas, so Idk much bout prices. Ive seen em go for $400 new though, so $200 off for a set of used ones is just fine =)

edit: wait, brand new???? Thats a score!!! question is tho, why would you go from OEM xenon (I assume with premium pack '99s had xenons) to halogen? I guess you can stick some HIDs in em =)
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    m52 powered
    the seller is clearly not a headlight buff. As mentioned they are halogen lights, and my interpretation of the listing is that he is selling you 2 entire headlights.

The part circled in the pic is where the electronic adjustment motor is in the 01+ xenons, I am assuming the halogens do not have this feature which is why he thought something was missing..

you can always do an aftermarket xenon conversion on them.

My Cars
    96' 300zx
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    I highlighted some significant parts of the item description:

"These are two brand-new Hella Angel eyes with amber turn signals for the BMW e39, from 2001-2003. As circled in red in the above picture they are each missing the ballast. These are replacements for your current angel eyes if the lens is hazed or broken as well as any other part of the headlight. All you need to do is take the ballast from your original and transfer it over. They come with all new bulbs and everything is just out of a box and has never been on a car."

Strictly angel eyes - the glowing rings ONLY - would not come with amber turn signals, lenses, or a place to mount ballasts.

Looks to me like you bought headlights, and for a damn good price considering that they haven't been mounted on a car yet. Shoot, even for used headlights that's a good deal. The seller is just using "angel eyes" and "headlights" interchangeably. Your friend who got confused, then got you confused, that is all. But hey I'll refund you the $400 if you wanna send them my way...
    Your exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
    those are halogens, and yet even for halogens thats a good price I think

Reason I say I think, because I never liked newer style Hellas, so Idk much bout prices. Ive seen em go for $400 new though, so $200 off for a set of used ones is just fine =)

edit: wait, brand new???? Thats a score!!! question is tho, why would you go from OEM xenon (I assume with premium pack '99s had xenons) to halogen? I guess you can stick some HIDs in em =)
    Yeah, i knew they were halogens, i just wanted them to see if i can transplant my pre-facelift xenons for the updated look. A truck backed up into me and cracked one my headlights, so i thought why not.

Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    the seller is clearly not a headlight buff. As mentioned they are halogen lights, and my interpretation of the listing is that he is selling you 2 entire headlights.

The part circled in the pic is where the electronic adjustment motor is in the 01+ xenons, I am assuming the halogens do not have this feature which is why he thought something was missing..

you can always do an aftermarket xenon conversion on them.
    Yeah, i contacted him and he said i am bidding on the complete unit. So im relieved. But anyone know if swapping the internals of my pre-facelift xenons will be plug and play, or some modding has to be done?

Thanks

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by XCELMotorsports View Post
    But anyone know if swapping the internals of my pre-facelift xenons will be plug and play, or some modding has to be done?
    What is it exactly your trying to swap? Either way no plug n play for that =| I'd just rig the new Hella sockets to accomodate D2S bulbs you have and the rest will be plug n play. Dont bother swapping the projectors, its not worth your time =)
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by XCELMotorsports View Post
    But anyone know if swapping the internals of my pre-facelift xenons will be plug and play, or some modding has to be done?

Thanks
    This will NOT be plug and play. I tried this, and was not successful. I spent a whole weekend baking, prying and dremeling lights. The projector was redesigned with 2001+ angel eyes.

However, swapping all the internals is not fully necessary with these lights. Though they are halogen lights, they're still projector lights. MNSport528i put the OEM Osram HID components into his 2001+ Hella angel eye halogens, just like the way Orxan4ik describes. He's pretty much the MAN when it comes to this mod:

He tried:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=941626

And succeeded!:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=836630
    Last edited by PJB; 09-02-2008 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    If you have existing xenons sell them to someone for a couple hundred bucks and buy a xenon kit for the new lights. Umnitza etc have kits that will plug right into a halogen projector- no dremel tool needed.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    or if you are smart you will buy new bulbs which fit a halogen socket and keep your previous ballasts.

but thats if you are smart and want to go the more practical route and save money and time.

and to whoever said this is not plug and play, BS, ive done this and i could have easily made it plug and play, especially with a xenon kit.

My Cars
    If you have existing xenons sell them to someone for a couple hundred bucks and buy a xenon kit for the new lights. Umnitza etc have kits that will plug right into a halogen projector- no dremel tool needed.
    Mark, that conflicts with what you posted here. XCELMotorsports needs to circumvent the "overengineered holder or elbow." Are you saying that newer kits come with the necessary adaptors? If not, then the DIYs by MNSport528i need to be followed.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
    and to whoever said this is not plug and play, BS, ive done this and i could have easily made it plug and play, especially with a xenon kit.
    That was me raza, and the OP was asking if taking the projector, Fresnel lens, etc. out from the INSIDE of the old headlights and putting them into the new headlights would work. The internals aren't plug and play, but the HID components - the bulbs ballasts and ballast brackets - those are all transferrable and plug and play. I put the bulbs, ballasts and brackets from my 2000 headlights onto my 2003 Hella angel eyes.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by PJB View Post
    That was me raza, and the OP was asking if taking the projector, Fresnel lens, etc. out from the INSIDE of the old headlights and putting them into the new headlights would work. The internals aren't plug and play, but the HID components - the bulbs ballasts and ballast brackets - those are all transferrable and plug and play. I put the bulbs, ballasts and brackets from my 2000 headlights onto my 2003 Hella angel eyes.
    nvm then my mistake, move along guys

My Cars
    m52 powered
    oops- forgot about that. my bad. stupid bmw bulb holder.

My Cars
    SC E39 M5, E92 M3 DCT
    oops- forgot about that. my bad. stupid bmw bulb holder.
    now get to work and find out about my illuminated door sills!

My Cars
    m52 powered
    waiting on an email or phone call on that one.

My Cars
    96' 300zx
    Quote Originally Posted by razahyde View Post
    or if you are smart you will buy new bulbs which fit a halogen socket and keep your previous ballasts.

but thats if you are smart and want to go the more practical route and save money and time.

i WOULD be going this route. Anyone want to direct me in some recommended places for this type of stuff?

And i hope the light up door sills wont cost an arm or a leg.