Thread: using handbrake on launch.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36

using handbrake on launch.

I had a few goes at some drag racing, but like everyone i wanna get the best out of the car,

one of the problems I have is I use a button (looks like a star) clutch plate. Great for no slippage, but its not the easiest thing to get off the line.

I heard people use the handbrake to load up the car abit on the line......is this useful for a manual?

BTW,
    Welcome to the new drag racing forum section
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I tried using the hand brake, and loading the car against the clutch but didn't have much success with it. I admit that I could have gotten good at it if I continued to practice it, but I didn't see the point. My launch and R/T were just fine using the conventional method. It appears to do more for FWD cars than RWD cars, but that's just a personal observation.

When I do get my BMW back on the road, I'll have a line lock installed. While primarily for doing quick burnouts, I'm going to use it on the line as well to prevent creep prior to launch. (It will be wired to a 2-step as well)

I'm interested to hear of other people's experience with this technique as well.

My Cars
    e30/ls1/t56/poverty
    One of the nifty things about loading it up on the handbrake is that it takes up all the slack in the drivetrain - reducing the chance of something snapping/breaking.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    OP, thats a nice speed, I love those S50B32's!

I use the brake to hold myself when not on a level launch pad, eg practicing my launch at my garage's driveway. At the strip its not really needed, tho I could see how it might help. Depends on your technique I suppose.

My Cars
    z06 & Sierra HD
    my theory is just try it. weirder things have been know to work. i don't think it would have nor would it help me, but the worst that is gonna happen is you botch up one of your runs.
    do you even know what a plethora is?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Read my hints and tips for how to do this (link in my sig)
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101