Thread: excessive oil consumption

Angry excessive oil consumption

The car is a 98 M3 and has roughly over 100,000km. i was under a assumption that a small amount of oil burning/consumption is acceptable for the M3 (also depends on the driving and grade of the oil used).

But early this yr (spring) i did an oil change and decided to measure just how much oil it consumes with no-track driving. and then i got...

>> 1L for every 1500km (about 1000miles) << normal street driving.

I do not think this is 'normal' although the car does not experience any external leak or visible signs of oil burning smokes. BMW calls this 'acceptable' (they didn't say 'normal') which i find a little off.

can someone suggest to me some of the areas that might be causing the problem?

Will a compression test tell me anything? Oil seperator? etc..
    Frank

My Cars
    Just the ///M3
    Are you running normal oil or synthetic?
    I was running standard oil and I had oil consumption.
    As soon as I changed to synthetic I have 0 oil consumption and its been 4k miles since I changed oil in the motor.

95 Dakar ///M3
    TMS Intake and Euro HFM Kit , TrackPipe, UUC System U Exhaust, Clutch Stop, BMP Strut Bar, BMP slotted front rotors, UUC Sway Barbarians , Mb highs, Fosgate mids and 3 Fosgate H2 10's. *Painted moldings not pictured*

a little more info

I drive pretty slow and soft on the road with a good mix of hwy and street conditions. I did quite a bit of tracks last year so I thought it has something to do with my track driving.

So, in order to make this measurement somewhat meaningful, I managed to monitor the oil usage this spring with normal daily driving and fresh new oil (Mobil1 10w-30, but I have tried several others in the past such as AMSoil, Castrol, etc... with somewhat the same result).

As for the car itself, it runs fine with no smoke whatsoever, not during start up and not during full throttle hard acceleration. nothing.
    Frank

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46
    I heard that up to 1qt/1000miles is considered "normal". Some people have better luck trying different weights of oil. If your car is running fine, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    PM is full. Do not PM me. EMAIL me to communicate!!

*** SF Bay Area ***
    SRS Light Reset $15 (first 10 ppl, then free after that for everyone)

The only replacement for displacement is technology.

E46 03 325i
    E36 98 M3 Vert
    E36 95 M3
    E36 93 318IS
    E30 89 M3

My Cars
    M3/4
    Yep, BMW considers that acceptable. Are you sure you're not leaking oil? Check valve covers, pan gasket, rear main seal, etc....

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan

check for oil leaks.

do u think u have any oil leaks...before your next oil change, lift up your car, clean up as my much oil stains if neccessary, then add some oil dye into the motor crank.

drop the car and drive for couple of miles. then lift the car up, w/ an aide of a black light, u can see the flourescent dye if there's any oil leaks.

i had the same problem..turned out it was the Dipstick O-Ring. it was on the side of the powersterring pump hoses, and i thought it was leaking form there.

from then on....zero oil consumption. my car is a daily driver no tracking.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    >>I heard that up to 1qt/1000miles is considered "normal"<<

It is....I have a white paper from them, and they consider virtually any useage not exceeding 1 qt per 400 miles to be 'normal'!!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    X5 (3.0) Sport

98 M3/2 not a drop

I've had my 98 M3/2 since it was new and I use the standard BMW synthetic oil for all my changes. Driving style varies from slow city trips to very aggressive on the back roads and freeways.

I've never had to add even a quart between changes. I think it has much to do with how you break the car in and not exceeding 3K rpm until the temp is up + 15 minutes.

Ken

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    I drive the HELL out of my 1996 M3 and it DRINKS 1 QT. every 1000 miles.

You are not alone. Do a search on oil consumption and you'll find A LOT of M3 (and M5 owners) with the same issue.

Trying different brands and weights of oil helps. My car used to drink about 1 qt. of Mobil 5w-30 every 400 miles!
    I used Castrol 5w-50 Synthetic and it has slowed oil use to around 1k-1.2k miles.

No biggie.

Oil use varies from M3 to M3.

Hope this helps as misery loves company.

-LuxoM3
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

thanks for the reply guys,

so i guess it is 'acceptable' even tho i still don't buy the fact that it is.

dealers basically shut me out by saying it's acceptable by BMW and they would just leave it like that.

independent shops have also suggested running different grades and weight. one shop sugguested that a normal engine should not consume any, but he still checked my vaccum in the system to see if it were pumping too much oil somewhere.. the reading was normal.

i am in the process of doing another oil monitoring with a different brand and weight to see if it helps or not.
    Frank