Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USTCC E46 Sedan build

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i

USTCC E46 Sedan build

We picked up a 1999 323i to build into a USTCC car for the 2009 season. We also hope to hit the BMWCCA events too.
    I picked up some suspension bits today at GC and will begin tearing the car apart over the next few weeks... it is a bit sad since the car is in pretty fair shape!

Stock as a rock!

My Cars
    cars
    Nice.

If I remember correctly, you can do quite a bit of work on USTCC cars.

Any specs/details? 325/328 or 330?
    Last edited by Steve J.; 08-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    1999 323 with 185k on the clock. They use a power to weight ratio of 12 to 1 with a .2 add for engines over 2.5l. The spec tires are a bit on the small side. Due to this we're going to get the car light as we can then build the HP to match.

My Cars
    cars
    Sweet. Those Nasa hp/weight rules work pretty well, you should be able to get a very quick car. Evosport/Mpact E90 was pretty quick.

You going with Moton triples?

I've got to read the new rules, but I think you can modify the suspension a decent amount. You can definitely build a nice cage in it, no limits really.

Undercoating can be removed...time to acid dip

You probably are only talking about 200hp, so getting torque will be your best friend. It seems you need an engine smaller then 2.5L to not get penalized with the 0.2lbs addition. I guess the 2.5L will be allowed in?

If Nitto continues to sponsor the series, you should grab some NT01's and hit the skid pad to get some data and do some test sessions. That will be a key factor in the series, maximizing the tires.

8" wide wheel is definitely on the small side, but you can squeeze enough tire on a 17x8, and you can get some really really light 17x8" wheels.
    Last edited by Steve J.; 08-27-2008 at 08:44 PM.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    Sweet. Those Nasa hp/weight rules work pretty well, you should be able to get a very quick car. Evosport/Mpact E90 was pretty quick.

You going with Moton triples?

I've got to read the new rules, but I think you can modify the suspension a decent amount. You can definitely build a nice cage in it, no limits really.
    I picked up a set of Advanced Designs today from GC. As a shop we're progressing through the suspension tuning process and now we're on double adjustables. I am sure we'll swap them out for triples in a season or two. Hat's off to Dale at Evosport for consulting with GC on my setup, of course he changed everything I asked for.. I am really jonesing to get the interior gutted.. This will be our first car with gussets and seam welding. I guess it would be easier to buy a car already built but we won't learn anything that way right?

My Cars
    cars
    Definitely would be 10x easier/quick to buy a car already built, but that's no fun I was going to get a Grand Am GT rolling chassis, but decided to build my own car instead. I'm happy with my decision, it just turned out to be a longer and more expensive journey lol

Stripping the E46 takes no time at all, and you can sell a lot of the stuff.

You could always import a WTCC E46...that might be legal for USTCC and would clean up

My Cars
    2011 E91
    You guys should buy Dale's E90, let me buy the 323 (so I can use it as a Daily Driver and Turbo it!! ) and you would have a cage already!!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    2011 E91 328i - Valentine One - LED Interior - Eibach Coilovers - Vossen Wheels
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod
    1990 E30 325is - Red on Black
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible - Silver on Black
    2000 E39 540i Sport - Black on Black
    2005 325iT - Blue on Tan - 6sp - Koni's - Eibach - Valentine One - 3.64 LSD
    2006 E90 330i - Silver on Black
    2014 535i - Space Grey on Black - H&R - Valentine One

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholder View Post
    You guys should buy Dale's E90, let me buy the 323 (so I can use it as a Daily Driver and Turbo it!! ) and you would have a cage already!!
    +1

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    Sure is nice inside! Er, WAS nice inside....

Some Advanced Design goodness! Special shout out to Jay Morris at Ground Control and Dale Sievright at Evosport for helping to scope out a good initial setup for the car.

We are replacing the OEM 323i brakes for 330i brakes using Brembo slotted rotors, Hawk Blues and SS lines.

My Cars
    Supra
    looking good

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    More goodies, GC front swaybar, rear swaybar delete. In the future we'll be replacing all the rear control arm ball joints/bushings with bearings, GC bumpsteer kit and Bimmerworld front control arms. The goal is to have it on track sans cage by the October NASA event and run it in TT to make sure the engine is ok.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    We are shooting for 2600lbs with driver, I am not sure how close we can get though. At that weight we will be able to get a conservative 200hp out of the motor and be within the HP/weight rules.

My Cars
    cars
    I think that's achievable...but how heavy/light is the driver?

It might be tough with some of the ustcc restrictions, but assuming your driver is under 180lbs, it should be doable if you keep things on the smaller side. Keep the brakes small and light, wheels small and light, etc.

You should be allowed to use sphericals on the front control arms, planning to?

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    I think that's achievable...but how heavy/light is the driver?
    I hover between 183 and 190 depending on the how much I am cycling.

It might be tough with some of the ustcc restrictions, but assuming your driver is under 180lbs, it should be doable if you keep things on the smaller side. Keep the brakes small and light, wheels small and light, etc.
    We are limited to 17x8 wheels and 225/45r17 tires. The car will use the OEM 330i brakes (same as the Turner ST cars which weigh about 3100lbs
    I don't want to resort to fiberglass or CF body parts. However aftermarket fenders, hood, trunk doors etc are made from thinner sheetmetal so I might have a few options. All the glass will come out and be replaced with lexan or equivalent.

You should be allowed to use sphericals on the front control arms, planning to?
    Yes but I already purchased the new OEM arms since the ones in the car looked original with 185k on them! It was quite a drive back from SoCal where I picked it up. When I hit the brakes the car would dart all over the place and the wheel would wrestle out of my hands...
    Bimmerworld has arms that were developed for their World Challenge cars which are machined to eliminate bump steer with the lower ride height.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
    We are limited to 17x8 wheels and 225/45r17 tires. The car will use the OEM 330i brakes (same as the Turner ST cars which weigh about 3100lbs
    I don't want to resort to fiberglass or CF body parts. However aftermarket fenders, hood, trunk doors etc are made from thinner sheetmetal so I might have a few options. All the glass will come out and be replaced with lexan or equivalent.

Yes but I already purchased the new OEM arms since the ones in the car looked original with 185k on them! It was quite a drive back from SoCal where I picked it up. When I hit the brakes the car would dart all over the place and the wheel would wrestle out of my hands...
    Bimmerworld has arms that were developed for their World Challenge cars which are machined to eliminate bump steer with the lower ride height.
    17x8 is good, you can get some super light wheels, probably 30lb advantage of wheels alone compared to the 18x10's I have. Then you have the rubber that's a bit lighter as well.

how much carbon will they let you get away with in USTCC?

How heavy are the 330 brakes though? I bet you can get a really lightweight two piece rotor and small 4 piston calipers that would save quite a bit of weight.

You mean these arms?

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    17x8 is good, you can get some super light wheels, probably 30lb advantage of wheels alone compared to the 18x10's I have. Then you have the rubber that's a bit lighter as well.
    True, I had a set of Enkei NT03's in the shop so I pressed them into service. I will have alot of options going forward. At 17x8 they weigh in at 17.9lbs and I bent 2 of them already, it was a hard hit though!

how much carbon will they let you get away with in USTCC?
    I can run all I want as long as the factory lights etc are maintained. Curt Simmons ran a 1 piece front end with "vinyl" headlamps, this year he has an OEM setup since I believe it was deemed illegal

How heavy are the 330 brakes though? I bet you can get a really lightweight two piece rotor and small 4 piston calipers that would save quite a bit of weight.
    330 brakes are not bad and they work extremely well. We will be using the BMW Performance floating rotors that have an aluminum hat. I think long term a set of aftermarket brakes will find its way onto the car, we'll see where the weight comes in, though getting rid of unsprung weight is more important.

You mean these arms?
    Those look like them! How are they?
    Last edited by vmwerks; 09-16-2008 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    cars
    They look decent...have not tried them yet. But others have, and have had good success with them.

I'm trying to remember who makes that one piece magnesium 17x8...i've seen it on some touring cars from Europe. Its like 12 lbs.

Jongbloed has some pretty nice ones, as does OZ Racing and BBS...but you're getting into $$ wheels.

My Cars
    Euro Group N M3, 2004 M3
    Speedline makes a Magnesium 17" wheel.

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i

Barely legal ~ NWS

the wing is 67" and the car is 68.5" I mounted the wing in the "gutter" of the trunk and will need to notch the trunk to make it fit properly. We'll use spring latches and pins to secure the trunk...

My Cars
    2011 E91
    Does the wing have to be mounted that low by rule? Generally (and I am not an aerodynamicist ) the higher you can mount it, the better it works (but I know you may be limited by rule.
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholder View Post
    Does the wing have to be mounted that low by rule? Generally (and I am not an aerodynamicist ) the higher you can mount it, the better it works (but I know you may be limited by rule.
    The final product will run about 6 to 8" higher. This was an initial test fitting... I am going to have new uprights made that will raise the wing to roof level and move it backwards around 4 inches.

EDIT:

Before anyone says anything yes those are Koni Yellows in the rear of the car.. Advanced Design rears will not be available for a few months...

My Cars
    2011 E91
    Quote Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
    The final product will run about 6 to 8" higher. This was an initial test fitting... I am going to have new uprights made that will raise the wing to roof level and move it backwards around 4 inches.
    Cool - sounds good!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod

My Cars
    cars
    For some reason I remember USTCC not having a rear wing rule regarding where it cna be placed...but its probably good to put it within bmwcca mod rules just in case you want to run them.

Ohlins LMJ's will bolt right up into the E46

My Cars
    [QUOTE=vmwerks;14040281]I hover between 183 and 190 depending on the how much I am cycling.

thats a lot of weight for a cyclist! haha

My Cars
    1999 540i sport, 89 325i
    For some reason I remember USTCC not having a rear wing rule regarding where it can be placed...but its probably good to put it within bmwcca mod rules just in case you want to run them.

Ohlins LMJ's will bolt right up into the E46
    I wanted to be able to run with BMWCCA and extending the wing beyond the body do a lot for me with only 200hp.

Quote Originally Posted by bdigel View Post
    I hover between 183 and 190 depending on the how much I am cycling.

thats a lot of weight for a cyclist! haha
    It sure is..... :0(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast