Thread: Auto transmission relay switch?

My Cars
    1992 325i

Auto transmission relay switch?

hey guys, I'm hoping someone can tell me where to find this sucker...When I run my 325 through the gears (1st-D) it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd in A (auto) mode. But in M (manual) mode. it shifts like normal. I heard that there is a gear position switch somewhere on my tranny? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find this guys please! Thank you guys!

My Cars
    BMW E46 328I, 1999
    It seems a new information to me, hope to find it, dont forget to tell us if find it.
    I want to know this new story.
    BMW e46 328i, Deep Blue.

My Cars
    A few grocery getters
    I came aross this thread searching for a fix to my issue. My e36 auto trans wants to start in 2nd or 3rd gear every tme i put it in drive. If I hit the "A" button, it kicks right down to 1st gear and shifts normally. I've been driving it like this for months with no issues, but I need to fix the problem before a valet/car wash guy/relative gets in it and burns up the tranny because he didn't hit the "A" button before driving it.

There has to be a module or relay that controls this. Does anyone have the answer?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The "A" button should be normal mode. Just leave it there. If you have an "M" button you're only supposed to use that if you get stuck and need to rock the car back and forth or you need to force the tranny to stay in one particular gear for some reason. Some auto trannies also have a "sport mode" but all it really does is change the shift points a little. These trannies weren't intended to be shifted up through the gears manually.

To answer the OP's question...the only switch I know of on an auto tranny is the reverse light switch and the neutral safety switch. Of course the auto/manual button on the console too.

My Cars
    94 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeeR73 View Post
    I heard that there is a gear position switch somewhere on my tranny? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find this guys please! Thank you guys!
    I think you are referring to what Isuzu owners call "range mode sensor":
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_t...#39;98-'04

Not sure if it's in the same place on BMW.

My Cars
    A few grocery getters
    I don't want to hijack this tread, but considering that it was started 3 years ago, I feel that I am safe. I hit the "A" button when I put the car in drive and it seems to wake it up from 4th gear. If I simply try to put it in "D" and drive away, I am in way up the tree. Hitting the "A" button seems to bring the tranny where it is supposed to be. I have no warning lights on the dash at all. I am taking it to my local shop to see if it is giving up any codes.

My Cars
    1997 e36 325 M/T
    Hello!! I have the same problem! Do you find something?

My Cars
    1997 e36 325 M/T
    Hello!! My e36 320 with gm 4l30e change all gear.. When car is cold is work fine but when is hot and i run up to 120kmh, the car not shift down... Is stuck on 4th gear
    Any idea??