Avus Autosport

Thread: SoCal - need to find a good BMW shop near LAX

My Cars
    C4 Vette LT4, 3x318

SoCal - need to find a good BMW shop near LAX

Hi All,

I am down here in SoCal for at least 6 months, and I need to find a good shop down here. My 318is just started running really badly and I dont have any tools or place to work down here.

I'm in MarinaDelRey, work right next to LAX, but I can go further afield if I need to.

Thanks,

Tom

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsIII View Post
    Hi All,

I am down here in SoCal for at least 6 months, and I need to find a good shop down here. My 318is just started running really badly and I dont have any tools or place to work down here.

I'm in Marina Del Rey, work right next to LAX, but I can go further afield if I need to.
    The only folks i allow to touch my E30 besides myself is Hoa or his capable employees at:

South Bay Independent BMW Service
    18020 South Vermont Avenue (Just north of 182nd street)
    Gardena, Ca. 90248
    (310) 532-3145

They know E30s and other older BMWs, and they're the only shop around that the E30 M3 racers and enthusiasts trust. They're about 12 miles from MDR via the 405 Freeway. Get off at the Vermont exit and take Vermont north about a mile. The shop is directly north of the Fire Station at 182nd street. I don't know of any capable places in or near MDR.
    Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships

My Cars
    C4 Vette LT4, 3x318
    Randy,

Boy - thanks a lot. Took the car in there this morning expecting to spend a fortune and have to rent one for several days - He spent an hour working on it right then, found a loose ground lead, and sent me on my way. Told me I owed him for the next time. What a guy!

Thanks again,

Tom

My Cars
    03 530i, 96 328is, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsIII View Post
    Randy, Boy - thanks a lot. Took the car in there this morning expecting to spend a fortune and have to rent one for several days - He spent an hour working on it right then, found a loose ground lead, and sent me on my way. Told me I owed him for the next time. What a guy! Thanks again, Tom
    That's the kind of guy he is. Last year a customer of mine (Paul) came into my workplace and instead of his electrician truck he was driving a nice E34. He had just taken it to a dealer because his brakes were sometimes making a "funny noise" and they were telling him that he needs an overhaul of his brake system to the tune of $1,800. So i sent him to Hoa and he put the car on a lift, removed all four wheels, inspected the brakes, put the wheels back on and said "brakes have lot of life left - come back in 20,000 mile and we check again, and if need new pads and rotors it about $400, not $1,800". When Paul asked what he owes him Hoa said "that OK - no charge."
    Randy Walters
    '89 325is (Competition car, now sold)
    '96 328is (Weekend Fun car w/M3 suspension, just sold)
    '03 530i Sport (Spare car)
    '05 X3 3.0 (Little Woman's DD)
    '21 Mazda 3 Premium Sedan AWD (Daily Driver)
    BMW CCA & SCCA Driving Instructor
    BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple SCCA Regional Championships

My Cars
    C4 Vette LT4, 3x318
    well I'll definitely be going back next month - I have a small oil leak from the front oil seal, and the price he quoted me to fix it was about half what I had gotten before. Biggest problem is that he's tied up for the next week - I can see why.

Thanks again for the tip.

Tom

My Cars
    E36/7, E46
    Hoa typically doesn't even take new business very often. That man is a gem. I've been going to SBI for quite some time. I remember bringing in this POS UUC clutch cable that required removing additional stock parts on my E36/7 just to delete the delay valve. Hoa says, "screw this crap," I jump in his 7 series and we roll down to a shop to get a custom steel line produced. Bring it back, put it on, and I'm out of there. He tossed the UUC line in the trash. Plus he and his cousin could care less if I stand under the lift the whole time checking things out. The dude is solid - no doubt. I've tried to bring him business before, but he's picky. Luckily, the dude that turned me on to him years ago is my neighbor and Hoa's real estate agent. I gotta go say hi down there soon. Can't wait to see how many parts they've got laying around this time around...

But just FYI: John Norris at GT International is extremely capable as well, should you find yourself in a pinch.
    Last edited by rtav; 08-26-2008 at 08:28 PM.