Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Re: Need Help With My New BMW Key FOB

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti

Re: Need Help With My New BMW Key FOB

Hey ya'll... I have an E36, a 1997 318ti. As some ppl know it comes with a basic key, no buttons on the key like the ones that the E46 have. Well I wanted to alter a key to make it work for my car... so i bought a key that works for the E36.
    here are some pics of the key I'm talking about:

so for those that are electronically savvy... how would i be able to make this work with my aftermarket alarm? i have a viper alarm system. is there something i can soder together or change?? please help me out...

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    You bought a key that is for an E46. If you want to make it work you will need an E46 car.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    You bought a key that is for an E46. If you want to make it work you will need an E46 car.
    not necessarily. i've read countless times it will also work for the E36. i've asked the seller countless times, multipule ones.... and it does have the same notch and its the same size as my E36 key.
    you sure it is for the E46 only?

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    Hey ya'll... I have an E36, a 1997 318ti. As some ppl know it comes with a basic key, no buttons on the key like the ones that the E46 have. Well I wanted to alter a key to make it work for my car... so i bought a key that works for the E36.
    here are some pics of the key I'm talking about:

so for those that are electronically savvy... how would i be able to make this work with my aftermarket alarm? i have a viper alarm system. is there something i can soder together or change?? please help me out...
    First, you will need to check the signal # (three digit number ending in like GHz or something). Is there a way to add remothes to your Viper system?

I see what you are trying to do, but I am unsure how to make it work without more information.

Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    No, the key he bought has a blade that will fit E34, E36, E38 and E39 cars. It is a Diamond shape key, the same remote style as the E46, but this key, even cut properly, would not fit in a E46 lock or ignition cylinder. The blades are completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    not necessarily. i've read countless times it will also work for the E36. i've asked the seller countless times, multipule ones.... and it does have the same notch and its the same size as my E36 key.
    you sure it is for the E46 only?
    See above.

I would check with the E36 board to see if they have more knowlegde of this mod. You have all of the peices, now you just need to get it working.

Wade
    Wade

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    anyone know where i can get it cut down in SoCal?? besides the dealer; even though they said they won't do it...