Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructor stories

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by MCain View Post
    Think that roll cage will pass the broomstick test?
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    Hemi-powered Prius
    I think those 2 have a different broomstick test in mind...

My Cars
    '03 330Ci, '06 M3
    Nice. No seatbelts for the driver?

'03 330Ci DHP, '06 M3 SMG
    "du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"

My Cars
    98 IP M3, and others
    Quote Originally Posted by doeboy View Post
    Nice. No seatbelts for the driver?

Safety is over rated
    ..."keep a little love in your heart and a taste of jazz in your soul."

My Cars
    2003 M3
    On the plus side, he can pull himself out after an off.
    Martin Cain #3 HP/GTS3
    NASA Texas
    GTS Challenge Series Director

My Cars
    Techno M3/2/5 RIP
    On the plus side, he can pull himself out after an off.
    He will already be out after an off

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    , someone needs to caption that pic.

My Cars
    2003 M3
    How about: "We really need to crack down on blend line violations."
    Martin Cain #3 HP/GTS3
    NASA Texas
    GTS Challenge Series Director

My Cars
    Hemi-powered Prius
    "I wanna go fast, Mama!!!"

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    OK, an instructor story...

The only one that really comes to mind was one at maybe my second or third event. He got into my car with a little plate and fork and proceded to eat a piece of pie as we drove around the track.

Another instructor was a club racer who wasn't happy unless we were dive-bombing the turns at WGI, taking late passes and going around turns sideways. Then it started to rain......

1998 E36 M3-4 track car Techoviolet
    1995 E36 M3-2 Boston green
    2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    Oh, did you mean stories when WE were instructing...OK

How about the 500HP full Dinan prep M5 that a total novice brought to the track with his girlfriend. He had the racing suit and the custom painted helmet, all the important things for your first day at the track. Anyway we spent a day WORKING our way around the track. He was somewhat tentative at interesting points but the best was at the top of the esses when he realized how fast he was going and did the BIG LIFT. I waved at Elvis sitting on top of the blue Armco and suggested strongly that he NOT FRIGGING LIFT and GAS GAS GAS. We somehow avoided wearing blue paint, got around to the pits and went it. At about that time it started raining (wow, rain at WGI in the fall) and I suggested that his very powerful M5 would be a big shame to wreck in the rain. He took the hint and packed it in early.

2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    Or the time I stepped into a brand new, still smells new, still has stickers and things on the car new, tires still smell new GT3 with a first time novice. I chatted with him for a bit and then reminded him that there was a statistical chance that he might total his car today and was he OK with that? Answer - "yes", my reply - "so can I DRIVE??????"

2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    Hemi-powered Prius
    This thread rocks...

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    I attended a Beril Roos instructor seminar this year. The lead speaker said that they were developing a training car with a rachet on the steering. The student would turn-in (click, click click) and not be allowed to unwind until the instructor releases the rachet by pressing a button. How fun/demented/evil it would be to use this car!

"OK, so that's the steering input you think you need? Let's see where we end up.
    Um, two wheels off at the apex. Bumpty-bump through the weeds.
    And now we're tracking out at mid track."

or

"So you think we need to turn in that much for the oval?"
    "Gee, isn't that the blend line we're going over"
    "Wow, that inner wall is getting kinda close to YOUR side of YOUR car"
    "Do you know a good body shop?"

I have no idea if they've actually made the car (or maybe were just pulling our collective leg), but I get a kick out of thinking about it.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Horn View Post
    This thread rocks...
    quite possibly the best thread I've ever read here on BFC.....
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    Z4MC, 335i
    A number of years ago I had a student driving an E36 M3, he was a really nice guy and he was trying hard and paying attention to what I was explaining to him, but he was extremely erratic and never could establish a consistent line around the track the entire weekend. It was extremely frustrating for both of us but thankfully the weekend was finally over and he went home with his car in one piece. The following year I saw him again at another event, and he said "My driving has gotten so much better since I had my cataract surgery. I didn't realize how little I could see until I had my cataracts removed." The fellow was nearly blind and didn't even realize it.

My Cars
    Hemi-powered Prius
    The very first time I ever instructed was for the BMW club at MSR Cresson. My Green student was a guy late 40s early 50s who had an E36 M3 like mine, stock daily driver. We had a good day Saturday, and a great rapport. I urged him to rest well that night, and have a good dinner. Sunday early morning I leave the hotel for the track, and up ahead I saw police lights (it was still dark, almost zero traffic). As I drove slowly by, I noticed that the nice officer was writing a speeding ticket for.....you guessed it.....my student.

I did not have the heart to ask him about it at the track, and he said nothing.

My Cars
    94 325i
    This particular HPDE school was so painful I have until now blocked it out of my memory. Won't mention where or which group (not BMW) but the instructor meeting on Saturday morning started out with CDI stating...

"... you know I have not driven this track so I would like some suggestions as to where we should have the passing zones and after lunch we could have a vote to see if we should change them..."

true story...

My Cars
    e46 m3, S4, A6, A3,
    Okay here's another one. At Road America, student is in my car riding with me in the instructor group (instructors can be really slow, this comes into play). So my normal routine is T12 (Canada corner) in 3rd out of the turn up hill to the left hander under the bridge (no longer there). Normally this is flat out with an up shift to 4th before the left hander turn in. Get in a train behind slower instructors in T12, exit turn start going up the hill turn to the left finally a little gap hammer it, whoa still in 3rd. Back end goes around, almost hold it but don't, complete a 720 never go off the track (not sure how I managed that). Student looks at my as calm as can "wow that was awesome, we don't have to go in do we!" Just told the student never do that, think about the present and don't fall in to a preconceived routine on the track.
    MAB

My Cars
    Z4MC, 335i
    Here's another one. There's a nearby PCA region (not mine) that I don't care much for but I attend their events occasionally. I show up one Saturday morning and I'm given this dude driving a Cobra replica to instruct. Before we go out on the first session, he shows me his arm that was broken in several places at the last DE, when he flipped the car on its roof. The instructor was injured as well. This is his first time back on the track since then. He gives me the arm restraints and explains that he learned last time how important it is to wear them. What a fun weekend that was - riding around in a car with too much power, crappy handling, and a guy who can't drive but doesn't have enough sense to quit after wrecking his car.

My Cars
    Uh
    Quote Originally Posted by csr View Post
    This particular HPDE school was so painful I have until now blocked it out of my memory. Won't mention where or which group (not BMW) but the instructor meeting on Saturday morning started out with CDI stating...

"... you know I have not driven this track so I would like some suggestions as to where we should have the passing zones and after lunch we could have a vote to see if we should change them..."

true story...
    That happened to me recently at a NASA event.

My Cars
    Uh
    I've had a few crazy experiences, but this one I will never forget...

Gentleman in his 60s shows up with a last model year yellow Ford GT. Misty Cain, I love that woman...sorry Martin, it's true, assigned him to me. First thing out of his mouth is "I'm here to have fun". RIDICULOUSLY fast car and the driver had zero concept of impending death. Fun to him meant lets drive this GT like we stole it (who knows, maybe he did). There were a few times where I thought he had a stroke because he would just forget to brake. I don't mean late...I mean not brake at all. Corner 6, TWS, we're going maybe 85 into it...no brake..just gas. We made it to the trees on the right. Same thing happened again at 8.

In later news, he let me take it out "to see what it would do"...and I looped it at 3. Embarrassing, but I would not trade that weekend for a dozen dollars.

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Truly epic thread. I have a totally different perspective of instructors now.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    I love this thread, and I want to give a big thanks to instructors. It's been 2 or 3 years since my last HPDE and I can't wait to go again
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Quote Originally Posted by nort0188 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like me Had a bit of a brain fart at a bad time there... certainly a wide-eyed moment.
    Was my recount accurate? Other than that single moment, you were a pleasure to ride with! Let me know if you make the trip back to Mid-Ohio.
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast