Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center Console Cover - Smooth?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Question Center Console Cover - Smooth?

I just ordered a new center console cover, as mine was cracked (HVAC falling off now)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EG21&mospid=47330&btnr=51_2746& hg=51&fg=35

#10 COVER CENTER CONSOLE - 51168108930

Though unfortunately it is slightly different than mine. My console cover has a slight texture/grain to it, though the black one that came is completely smooth. This doesn't match the rest of my console, lighter cover, etc...

Is there a different part # to use, or is this all that's available from BMW now?? Anyone know?

My Cars
    Alpine White 1995 840Ci
    actually, I have a similar question... does anyone know what the part #s for all the plastic bits of trim? I sound like an idiot but when looking at the diagrams I get a bit confused and can't make out half of them...

Brad, my center console is cracked too, but I wasn't going to replace it until I could get every single black trim replaced at the same time.
    *840Ci Picture coming soon*

My Cars
    Alpine White 1995 840Ci
    Thanks, Aura !
    *840Ci Picture coming soon*

My Cars
    Misc.
    I actually ordered a new set of parts from Gault. Great deal!

My Cars
    1991 850 twin turbo 6 speed, 1994 840, 01 740IL
    I started a thread about this awhile back and had a few informative responses. Apparently there were a few changes in the chemical make up of the plastics used over the years by BMW. All of the replacement stuff is of the late design (smooth suede like feel) I had a few conversations with Charlie (Gault's) and he has confirmed replacements for the center console are smooth. I bought one from a guy who will remain unnamed and he assured me it was of the early "rough" design and it wasnt. I feel your pain.........it doesnt match and I cant find one that does. The consolation is however that the late stuff is not as prone to cracking as the early stuff.

My Cars
    Misc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinned View Post
    I started a thread about this awhile back and had a few informative responses. Apparently there were a few changes in the chemical make up of the plastics used over the years by BMW. All of the replacement stuff is of the late design (smooth suede like feel) I had a few conversations with Charlie (Gault's) and he has confirmed replacements for the center console are smooth. I bought one from a guy who will remain unnamed and he assured me it was of the early "rough" design and it wasnt. I feel your pain.........it doesnt match and I cant find one that does. The consolation is however that the late stuff is not as prone to cracking as the early stuff.
    Yes, the density of the plastic and overall strength is much higher now then it was.

My Cars
    8'r
    I haven't forgoten about the interest in the old school center consoles. Haven't seen 1 yet but If my eyes (and I know there are more eyes..lol) stumble across one in a salvage car in my area I'll let yall know.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    The old vs. newer is odd. I have yet to see the new console plastic in person. I wonder what the difference is. It would be great to see comparison pics. When I get another E31 (M73), I'll be swapping out the wood for black since I'm not into the veneer action.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    What color will you be going for this round?

My Cars
    Misc.
    You know Al like in the sport packages of the modern cars would look wicked. I would go for it if my interior wasn't silver in the first place, and I wasn't trying to Al accents.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    I'm not sure what color for round #2. I'd like to have a 2tone interior of sorts (depending on the exterior color). Some ideas: red car with black/red interior, silver car with black/light gray, black car with red/black interior.

Aluminum would also look great with some interiors. I have not ruled that out as well.

I'd like to get another 8 and fully restore it. I am leaning once again towards a V12 despite the fact that I'd thought I was done with them. What can I say? I miss that silky smooth feel A manual transmission is also a consideration, so not necessarily M73 I guess.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Thumbs down

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting that they don't sell exact matches anymore... man is that ever going to bug me. No one else would probably notice in the car unless you pointed it out... but that will irritate me.

Ah well. The one that Charlie sent me was also for a RHD car, and not LHD.. so I need to send it back anyways.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Brizzad, do you have a side by side pic? Is the difference in the feel as well as in the looks?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Not really side by side, but here are some pics I just snapped to show the difference in texture. Color appears slightly different, but they are very close... photo's were obviously taken in different lighting. And yes, due to the difference in texture.. the feel is somewhat different.

My busted ghetto console:

The new "Smooth" console:

Last edited by bRIZZAd; 08-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    Want 850
    Well this sucks... I need to order one. I like the look of the old one.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Cup1d View Post
    Well this sucks... I need to order one. I like the look of the old one.
    It sure does. I replaced all of mine around the radio and heated seat buttons a few months ago and they all match each other and look great but then the piece around the ashtray and pocket is still the old textured finish that is much shinier and a deeper black color even though it is also brand new. They changed the process for some, but not all of the trim pieces apparently... or they procured new tooling and left off the texturized finish for some reason...

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Quote Originally Posted by UNEEKONE View Post
    It sure does. I replaced all of mine around the radio and heated seat buttons a few months ago and they all match each other and look great but then the piece around the ashtray and pocket is still the old textured finish that is much shinier and a deeper black color even though it is also brand new. They changed the process for some, but not all of the trim pieces apparently... or they procured new tooling and left off the texturized finish for some reason...
    Yup... this is right...
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Also new ones have an extra hole on the upper left side, what is that for?

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci
    There are 'spatter' or pebble paint systems that might produce the OE texture if you can get the right color match. These paints may be designated as 'hammer' finish.

Also there is a guy on the e9 Forums who used a toothbrush to 'splatter' paint onto a piece by putting the paint on the toothbrush then holding it a rew inches above the part and striking it with the other hand to cause the 'spatter' release. The pictures he posted looked pretty close to OE for that NLA part.

Just a couple of thoughts!

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 09-14-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    Dragon, I'm pretty sure the hole you mention is for a microphone. The blank piece to fill this hole is still listed on Real OEM.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by bRIZZAd View Post
    Not really side by side, but here are some pics I just snapped to show the difference in texture. Color appears slightly different, but they are very close... photo's were obviously taken in different lighting. And yes, due to the difference in texture.. the feel is somewhat different.

My busted ghetto console:

The new "Smooth" console:

Have you installed this already? The part installed in the car picture looks like a LHD and the one below it looks like a RHD. Or did the picture get flipped?

My Cars
    '91 e31 M70
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Not sure what it's for. I have an insert in mine so the hole is filled, but not sure what would have gone there.

Forgot to take a pic of mine installed. Will do that tonight and post. You can see the difference in the finish from the radio, MID and the surround, but it doesn't look terrible to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '07 e65|N62 - Alpina B7 - Black Sapphire|Black|Loaded|GONE
    '02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert|GONE
    '00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey|GONE
    '01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line|GONE
    '91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70|FOR SALE

'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|GONE
    '07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|GONE
    '05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|GONE
    '97 528i Auto - GONE

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Have also just ordered one of these console covers for the CSi as there is a crack around one of the upper attach holes and some scuffing of the 'rubberised' finish. My original cover is the "smooth" type so hopefully the new one will match.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    E31 E38 E65
    Its a sensor....for something :p My first 8 had a blank plate but my current car has one thats "vented" like a mic or temp sensor orrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiCSi View Post
    Have also just ordered one of these console covers for the CSi as there is a crack around one of the upper attach holes and some scuffing of the 'rubberised' finish. My original cover is the "smooth" type so hopefully the new one will match.
    All new ones are smooth finished..
    *~*Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
    [ Bippu Couture ] ( D_G ) [ FALKEN Tires]

My Cars
    1997 850Ci 1991 850i 6sp
    It is where they place the mic for the phone in the later models

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast