Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Sedan GTS3 Build - Build #2

My Cars
    1995 M3

E36 M3 Sedan GTS3 Build - Build #2

Hi All,
    I am just begining my new race car project and am going to make every effort to completely document my progress, as so many of these build threads have given me great ideas.

If anyone remembers, this time last year I built a '95 M3 in to a GTS3 car and crashed it first day out at Road America.(For the record i am still kicking my rear at least once per day). I am going to try and keep it simple and well executed,worry about going faster AFTER it(I) see a few races.

One thing that i have decided since my last build was to forget about being IP legal. I want to focus on GTS3 and just run CM if I get out with BMW Club. As such, my number one goal is to get weight out of the car.

Car is a no accident '97 M3 4 door. 93,000 miles. Nice to start with a solid car!

Main Goals:
    - 2400 lbs. before the cage goes in, using lexan rear windows and only a carbon hood. (i have been involved in dozens of e36 builds and i think this should be reasonable).

- Stock engine internals: I want to get weight down low enough to make this a non-issue. I love my torque curve the way it is right now and want to let it alone.

-Other goals are to have simple wiring, while being as modular as possible. Looking forward to lots of quality time with my Weatherpak kit!

Current Mods:
    ENGINE:
    -DINAN CAI
    -DINAN TB
    -M50 Manifold
    -EURO HFM
    -DINAN Stg. 5 SW
    - Borla Cat back (For sale soon)

SUSPENSION:
    - Bilstein Group N
    - Turner Camber Plates
    - Turner Sways

BRAKES:
    -HT10 pads
    -SS lines
    -VT Motorsport

MISC:
    -UUC shifter
    -UUC tranny and motor mounts

Planned:
    - SS Headers and 3" Exhaust (identical to the one inmy old build)
    - 6 speed and 4.10 (maybe also may run a 3.73 that I have)
    - Oil Cooler and LTW pan (have both)
    - X Brace, front strut brace
    - Solid Bushings
    - No Aero Planned
    - Carbon Hood
    - ETC !

Group Ns

Thought I would throw that i to show off how good the fit of VT's plates is.

I will update as much as I can. I will really get to the gutting next week. Enjoy.
    Last edited by BMMMW14; 08-07-2008 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I like the brake duct at the rotor. Did you make those? Very tidy

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    Subscribed

What valving on the Group N's?....what spring rates?...I'm trying to figure out what spring rate to run with my 300/300 valving Group N's.

Best of luck in your build.
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by eficker View Post
    I like the brake duct at the rotor. Did you make those? Very tidy
    Those are VT Backing plates and just my own hose seyup. Best backing plates I have used yet!

On the Group Ns they are the off the shelf turner valving and springs. I can find the rates later today. I beleive it equated to 800f/900r. Have not run with them yet though. And they are probably just a stop gap to get things going

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Good luck with the build. My 99 M3 started life as my daily driver and I started building it for IP but now I run more NASA events than BMWCR. I wish I would have started my build with your philosophy and built specifically for GTS3.

I think sticking with a stock motor and pulling weight out is probably going to yield the most reliable car in the long run.

Best of luck.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Subscibed! Not everyday you see a M3 sedan built for the track. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
    Good luck with the build. My 99 M3 started life as my daily driver and I started building it for IP but now I run more NASA events than BMWCR. I wish I would have started my build with your philosophy and built specifically for GTS3.

I think sticking with a stock motor and pulling weight out is probably going to yield the most reliable car in the long run.

Best of luck.

Thanks.

Yeah, I am really hoping that not having to stick to IP rules will be an advantage. My main though is there is plenty of IP stuff I don't have money to do, and there is plenty that costs very little that you can't do for IP. So it makes sense for me.

I think with just bolt ons and a nice exhaust setup I should be able to see 240+ at the wheels. I just could not sleep at night knowing that I have a $10k motor in my car that could pop at any second!

Within the next week I will have it all stripped, progress might be a little slow after that, but no reason to rush it. I am hoping to take it to the track once more in October.. without a cage just to get a baseline for where improvements can be made.

Meeting with my cage builder soon to talk about design. I am going to keep it simple. strong and light...i think.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Quote Originally Posted by BMMMW14 View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah, I am really hoping that not having to stick to IP rules will be an advantage. My main though is there is plenty of IP stuff I don't have money to do, and there is plenty that costs very little that you can't do for IP. So it makes sense for me.

I think with just bolt ons and a nice exhaust setup I should be able to see 240+ at the wheels. I just could not sleep at night knowing that I have a $10k motor in my car that could pop at any second!

Within the next week I will have it all stripped, progress might be a little slow after that, but no reason to rush it. I am hoping to take it to the track once more in October.. without a cage just to get a baseline for where improvements can be made.

Meeting with my cage builder soon to talk about design. I am going to keep it simple. strong and light...i think.
    I noticed you are in Chicago. You should strongly consider Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis. Scott (the owner) built the cage for my IP/GTS3 car and I've been very pleased with the results. You'd be shocked at how affordable he is and the quailty of work you get for the dollar. I highly recommend him to everyone.

Here's a link to my cage:
    http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/BMWM3Cage.html

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    absolutely you can be 2400 lbs (or even lighter) before cage. my E36 sedan is 2425 with cage and about 1/4 tank of fuel.

see my build thread if you need any ideas for weight loss. all my body panels are steel except the hood and trunk. doors are stripped to nothing but skins.

also, why are you using a 6 speed? it's a little heavier than the 5 speed. with a 4.10 diff you will probably need it on high speed tracks.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    absolutely you can be 2400 lbs (or even lighter) before cage. my E36 sedan is 2425 with cage and about 1/4 tank of fuel.

see my build thread if you need any ideas for weight loss. all my body panels are steel except the hood and trunk. doors are stripped to nothing but skins.

also, why are you using a 6 speed? it's a little heavier than the 5 speed. with a 4.10 diff you will probably need it on high speed tracks.

I have been studying your build for weeks! Glad to hear that you are down to that weight, makes me feel better.

Only reason for 6 speed would be to get a 4.10+ rear end in there. A lot of this car's time will be at Road America and with a 5-speed even a 3.64 would run out of RPMs. I have considered swapping out my 3.23 for a 3.91 depending on the track, but I would preffer to go with one diff only.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    agreed, i use a 6 speed with a 3.91lsd and S52. 4.10 diff would be a nice ratio

i've done a lot more to the car but haven't updated in a while, I'll try to get some more photos up soon.

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    Sorry to be confused here but wouldn't a 4.10+ run out of RPMs well before a 3.91? I thought the higher the ratio the better acceleration and lower top speed (vice versa).
    "There are some people who sit behind the wheel everyday unaware of the potential man and machine can have when pushed 10/10ths in a symbiotic relationship." -Anonymous

My Cars
    IS#911, '04 325it, '08 5.7 crew, '07 Barbiemobile
    Thanks.

Glad to hear you're gettin' back in the game.. can't wait to see the pics as the car develop! Good luck on things, I, should be starting on a very similar project soon as well... not going as light as you, but same philosophy.

FLMS doing your cage???
    - 'cursed' Chris
    ...Someone has to finish last...

For Sale: Interior Goodies! for SALE

My Cars
    95M3:03S6:06F250PSD
    I also like your approach about GTS only build. should be a fun project!
    Matt Williams -
    Current - 01 LSB M3
    Past - #21 GTS-3 -
    95 Alpine White/Yellow M3 - Stock, except for the stuff that isn't

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    wouldn't a 4.10+ run out of RPMs well before a 3.91?

yes. what are you confused about? a 6 speed tranny gives an extra gear so he doesn't run out of top speed in 5th gear

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    yes. what are you confused about? a 6 speed tranny gives an extra gear so he doesn't run out of top speed in 5th gear
    I understand he has a 6spd but putting a 4.10 in there would make 6th shorter. That could be good for technical tracks but he would run out of RPMs on the longer straights.

I am just going by him saying a 4.10 would be better since he would have more RPMs which isn't correct since it would limit his top speed no matter how many gears he has.

I would love to put in the figures on my spreadsheet but I don't have the gears or tire sizes so I can't. That would ease my confusion. :p
    "There are some people who sit behind the wheel everyday unaware of the potential man and machine can have when pushed 10/10ths in a symbiotic relationship." -Anonymous

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I understand he has a 6spd but putting a 4.10 in there would make 6th shorter. That could be good for technical tracks but he would run out of RPMs on the longer straights.

I am just going by him saying a 4.10 would be better since he would have more RPMs which isn't correct since it would limit his top speed no matter how many gears he has.

I would love to put in the figures on my spreadsheet but I don't have the gears or tire sizes so I can't. That would ease my confusion. :p
    Quickly...
    3.73, 5spd, 245/40 17 , 7000 RPM = top speed 138 MPH
    4.1, 6spd, 245/40 17 , 7000 RPM = top speed153 MPH

ratios 1-5 on these boxes are the same, 6 is an overdrive.

Does that clear things up a bit?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by warptkid View Post
    Glad to hear you're gettin' back in the game.. can't wait to see the pics as the car develop! Good luck on things, I, should be starting on a very similar project soon as well... not going as light as you, but same philosophy.

FLMS doing your cage???
    Thanks, good to be back in the game...or getting there!

Unfortunatley, I don;t think funds are going to allow for an FLMS cage, which I will say are just the best.

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    Quickly...
    3.73, 5spd, 245/40 17 , 7000 RPM = top speed 138 MPH
    4.1, 6spd, 245/40 17 , 7000 RPM = top speed153 MPH

ratios 1-5 on these boxes are the same, 6 is an overdrive.

Does that clear things up a bit?
    Honestly, I don't know. I am so tired right now I can't think straight.

Why not just leave the 3.73 in there with the 6spd and get a higher top speed? :

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Honestly, I don't know. I am so tired right now I can't think straight.

Why not just leave the 3.73 in there with the 6spd and get a higher top speed? :
    I have no need for more top speed.

4.10 allows for greater torque mulitplication, and the gear spacing should be better, we'll see. Road America is about as fast as any road course in this country and I will not be over 153 there! Also, I can stretch it to 7200 RPM which gives me another 5mph.

Ideally I would be at redline, in top gear, at the fastest part of any given track, anything above that does nothing for me.

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW

4.10 allows for greater torque mulitplication, and the gear spacing should be better, we'll see. Road America is about as fast as any road course in this country and I will not be over 153 there! Also, I can stretch it to 7200 RPM which gives me another 5mph.

Ideally I would be at redline, in top gear, at the fastest part of any given track, anything above that does nothing for me.
    Okay that makes sense. I figured you would be running RA since you were in Chicago.

Too bad I won't be building my racecar for another year hopefully in AZ.

My Cars
    CTA

you may want to consider shift points for the track as well. take road america, for example, i'd rather not run out of gear between 5 and 6 or going into the kink.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yeah, good point, turn 5 at RA is never in the right gear for me. With the stock 3.23 3rd gear would get me all the way to 6 and be just shy of shifting, but it comes out of 5 like a dog, hard to win that battle. 4th always got me nicely through the kink, well last time through the kink was anything but nice!

Going in to 7 at RA is the hardest for me, at near stock weight I just ran out of revs in 3rd at trackout. I would think with 500 lbs less car i can make it in to 4th before then. But I am not going to know 'till I go test it.

My Cars
    E46M3, E36M3 C Mod , Toyota Tundra, Pace Shadow
    Yeah, good point, turn 5 at RA is never in the right gear for me. With the stock 3.23 3rd gear would get me all the way to 6 and be just shy of shifting, but it comes out of 5 like a dog, hard to win that battle. 4th always got me nicely through the kink, well last time through the kink was anything but nice!

Going in to 7 at RA is the hardest for me, at near stock weight I just ran out of revs in 3rd at trackout. I would think with 500 lbs less car i can make it in to 4th before then. But I am not going to know 'till I go test it.
    For me it seems that 4th gear has worked better with both of my cars at T7, it's feels like it's too high a gear, but you do go faster than zinging it in third. BTW I do use 6th with my 4:10 at Road America.

Steve E.

My Cars
    Autums Wispers
    building smiles on car at a time. classic. keep it up. sounds like a soild donar to begin with you must realy be into rr

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast