Thread: rear shock replacement

My Cars
    1991 325i

rear shock replacement

I searched could find anything direct, but I would assume this task is easy is that correct? and how long would I expect to take to replace both the rear? and can someone give me a sortof how to or know where DIY is?

thanks Jared

Cars1) 1991 dimaondschwarz 325i 4dr auto sold(2) 1991 325i Alpineweiss coupe; totaled(3) and current. 1985 camaro z/28

My Cars
    an imaginary E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbombdizzle View Post
    I searched could find anything direct, but I would assume this task is easy is that correct? and how long would I expect to take to replace both the rear? and can someone give me a sortof how to or know where DIY is?

thanks Jared
    Not too difficult.

1. Day before, loosen up the lower shock mounting bolts where they bolt to the trailing arm with PB Blaster or equivalent. (NOT Tri-Flow, WD40, etc. WD40 isn't man enough for this)
    2. Block up the front wheels, and raise the rear end a bit. Support on jack stands, not jacks. Crawl underneath and break loose the bolts you sprayed earlier. Probably a good idea to spray again. 17mm bolt BTW.
    3. Remove all the trunk interior lining. It's stubborn stuff. Take out the jack and all that mess back in the trunk for easier times. Crack loose the upper mounting bolts. Might need to remove the little protective rubber cap.
    4. Then remove the lower shock mounting bolt to the trailing arm, then drop the upper nuts and it just drops out.
    5. Replacement: a bit more difficult with new shocks. Insert the shock back up into the rear shock tower, have a buddy tighten the nuts a bit, just a bit. (they don't need to be very tight, just snug) Then you'll need to manhandle the shock enough to compress it so you can put the trailing arm bolt back in. Torque to specs...IIRC it was around 55ft/lbs, don't quote me on that (Bentley is in the car).

If you are prepared, you would have ordered new rear shock mounts and gaskets from BMA. Use the Meyle HD rear ones.

My Cars
    89 325i Touring
    Just chiming in, The bottem bolt for the shock on my 325i are 19mm. Doesn't take much to get it off, Impact wrench works good if you have one..

My Cars
    88iX, 89iX, 90iX, 91iX
    I was able to change the shocks while the back end was on ramps. Very easy and you don't have to worry about the car falling on you. As already posted, purchase new upper shock mounts. Mine are broken but I needed to put them back in until the new ones arrive.

My Cars
    07 Civic Si, 87 325E
    75 lb-ft on the bolt to the arms and 25 lb-ft on the mount. just did mine fri

My Cars
    1991 325i
    lol thanks!

Cars1) 1991 dimaondschwarz 325i 4dr auto sold(2) 1991 325i Alpineweiss coupe; totaled(3) and current. 1985 camaro z/28