Thread: Suspension parts explanation, Please?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5

Suspension parts explanation, Please?

Would some one please explain what the different suspension parts do for the car. Like, what do the springs do as opposed to the shocks?
    Shocks
    Springs
    Bushings
    Etc.
    No kidding, I really would like to know.

(Flame suit on)
    2001 Z3 2.5 Roady, White w/ tan top and int.
    Premium pk, all stock.

Man believes what man desires to be true.

Concentrate on the things that are within your direct control, any thing else is a waste of time.

It is easier to receive forgiveness than to get permission.

My Cars
    2006 M Coupe
    Springs help keep the tires in contact with the road by pushing them down when you go around corners and stuff. More obviously, they cushion your ride so you don't feel every tiny bump/pothole.

Shocks also cushion the ride but in a different way. They act as dampers to keep the springs from continuing to go up and down once they expand/collapse. Thus they also keep the springs from moving too fast which would be uncomfortable and put higher stress on other suspension components.

I think bushings act as a flexible joint but someone else can elaborate on that...
    95 M3 Cosmos black on black | BBS RKII 18's | Euro intake | Euro HFM | TMS JC chip | DEPO headlights | DDM 5000K HID | front clears | H&R OE Sport springs | Koni SA's | Powerflex Urethane LCABs | UUC Urethane RTABs | Ireland Engineering Radiator | Fan Delete

Mechanical Engineering FTW

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5
    Sorry guys, and thanks for the explanation, but I went to
    Wikipedia and got all the info I needed to know.
    2001 Z3 2.5 Roady, White w/ tan top and int.
    Premium pk, all stock.

Man believes what man desires to be true.

Concentrate on the things that are within your direct control, any thing else is a waste of time.

It is easier to receive forgiveness than to get permission.